Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 mystery reaveled

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I dunno, because interestingly, my favourite mystery is not the one I would choose to have revealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

D_D wrote: »
    Is this thread not essentially 'What is your favourite mystery', which has been before in a very successful thread?

I'm not having this...

I don't think it's up to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

If Bear Grylls could grill bears, how many bears would Bear Grylls grill??

Where are all the missing women in Ireland, indeed any missing people who are presumed dead? How have they vanished so completely, that there is no trace of a body?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Trevor Deely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

al28283 wrote: »
    Trevor Deely

thats a good one... but i think he fell into the canal or river didnt he? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

davet82 wrote: »
    thats a good one... but i think he fell into the canal or river didnt he? :confused:

It was never found out what happened to him. How could someone just randomly fall into the canal? They'd have to be walking right on the bank.

i thought the found his umbrella on the bank and it was a stormy night? i could be wrong there about the umbrella bit but it was defo a strange case alright, i pity his parents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Aliens etc etc

LOL, that sounds like a mystery you've got such a half-arsed interest in! :D

"A mystery revealed? What, anything? Eh... yea, eh... aliens or something. I dunno, whatever. Interested in hearing about mysteries...eh, et cetera... I suppose"

Always wanted to know what happened the Ark of the covenant.Would'nt mind taking a peak inside.;)

Ooooh, wouldn't advise that. This happened to one of the lads in work when he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Christ, are retards actually willingly copying other threads that their thick heads have read a few days prior?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Hot Lips wrote: »
    What became of Mr Pink,in Reservoir Dogs?:confused:

WHO SHOT NICE GUY EDDIE?

Is Pat Kenny really, in fact, made out of wood

According to the beginning of this timeline by Flann O'Coonassa, The Irish Begrudger, yes:
    1948: Pat Kenny is carved from the stump of a Giant Redwood Tree by a skilled carpenter known locally as ‘The Chisel’. Unfortunately, before The Chisel finishes carving Pat’s personality, he is killed in a freak chiselling accident. An associate remarks that the accident “had been on the cards for a while.”

1956: Pat contracts wood lice, and undergoes an intense course of varnishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Wibbs wrote: »
    My personal take on it would be this; Back then jet aircraft were rare enough sights. More to the point sounds. They bed down for the night in what looks like a good position and fall asleep. Later in the night a military jet or two jets doing night time training passes low over the camp site. Military jets even today are a lot louder in general than commercial. I've had an F16 go over my head and you know you've been tangoed.

They wake with a start, hearing an odd and very loud shrieking roar echoing off the mountains. Their experience may have doomed them. Half asleep they assumed it was an avalanche as they also roar. They panic and run away from the camp and this imagined avalanche. In the dark and sub zero temps they become totally disorientated. They didn't need to be blinded, it was after all the middle of the night. They succumb to falls and the cold. The missing tongue was a scavenging animal. They tend to go for the eyes and the tongue. Soft, easy to get at and tasty.

Pretty good explanation alright but what about the severe trauma?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

How much wood would a Wood Chuck chuck if a Wood Chuck could chuck wood?

i thought the found his umbrella on the bank and it was a stormy night? i could be wrong there about the umbrella bit but it was defo a strange case alright, i pity his parents

I didn't know about the umbrella. Very sad alright, family has had no closure, they've been releasing aged-up pictures of him.
    I know its sad when little children go missing but missing adults is always really eerie for some reason. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

What kind of information did the Great Library in Alexandria hold before it was burned to the ground. All that information lost, it'd be fascinating to know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pyr0 wrote: »
    What kind of information did the Great Library in Alexandria hold before it was burned to the ground. All that information lost, it'd be fascinating to know.
    And of course the other big ones in other cultures.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_codices

Remember it was the Irish who saved a lot of the past http://www.randomhouse.com/features/cahill/irish.html

Thankfully with the internet we can store backup copies :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Knorozov - strange tale of how a Mayan book disappeared only to surface in Berlin in 1945, not the safest place for anything flammable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

73Cat wrote: »
    Where are all the missing women in Ireland, indeed any missing people who are presumed dead? How have they vanished so completely, that there is no trace of a body?
    A good few are probably up in the Featherbeds :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Pretty good explanation alright but what about the severe trauma?
    True N and a good point I defo missed. OK lets look at the trauma. The missing tongue can be explained by scavengers. The other injuries? Well back to scavengers again. Why weren't the other bodies more extensively scavenged? One possible explanation; they were buried by snow. An actual avalanche but one away from the campsite that didn't hit their tent, so leading the investigators to rule out that as a cause? That could remove the aircraft scenario too.

In this scenario they were awoken in the dead of night by the sounds of avalanche, but it wasn't bearing down on their tent. In the confusion and echoes of the mountains, they thought it was and ran in panic. Further down the slope some of them get hit by the real deal, or simply fall downhill. This causes the heavy trauma, but leaves the campsite untouched. Even small avalanches can cause massive trauma. The ones left are alone, in the dark and quickly succumbing to the bitter cold. Rescuers show up and find the campsite with no evidence of extra snow. There has been a slight thaw which in time reveals the bodies of some of the party and the culprit melts away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I'd love to know how there were people who didn't find FlutterinBantam's posts utterly hilarious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

True N and a good point I defo missed. OK lets look at the trauma. The missing tongue can be explained by scavengers. The other injuries? Well back to scavengers again. Why weren't the other bodies more extensively scavenged? One possible explanation; they were buried by snow. An actual avalanche but one away from the campsite that didn't hit their tent, so leading the investigators to rule out that as a cause? That could remove the aircraft scenario too.

In this scenario they were awoken in the dead of night by the sounds of avalanche, but it wasn't bearing down on their tent. In the confusion and echoes of the mountains, they thought it was and ran in panic. Further down the slope some of them get hit by the real deal, or simply fall downhill. This causes the heavy trauma, but leaves the campsite untouched. Even small avalanches can cause massive trauma. The ones left are alone, in the dark and quickly succumbing to the bitter cold. Rescuers show up and find the campsite with no evidence of extra snow. There has been a slight thaw which in time reveals the bodies of some of the party and the culprit melts away.

I'll give you that one. They said the trauma was like it was caused by massive pressure, yet there was no soft tissue damage. I'm no doctor but avalanche sound ok to me.

Detective Wibbs - for all your investigative needs, big or small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What happened to Richey Edwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Are zebras black with white stripes, or white with black stripes?

73Cat wrote: »

Missing women who disappeared in the 90s - pretty sure that was a serial killer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Computer parts that could catch fire - lithium batteries ( cmos battery )

nowadays I'd also add magnesium frames in laptops

The post-Apartheid investigation found that nothing on the cargo list could've caused the fire. I mean the tail supposedly separated before impact because the fuselage/roof was so weakened and melted by the fire. There was molten metal on a used fire extinguisher. Considering the cold airflow over the roof, it was extremely intense to melt the fuselage

What would set the computer parts on fire? Electrical fire? Some think there was a fire earlier on in the flight that was put out. The likes of magnesium would explain how difficult it was to put out alright once it got going. The ammonium perchlorate for the war against Angola is an interesting angle in terms of this as it is so unstable to set off by itself and would be intense enough allied to nearby computer parts then going up in flames.

I think the Apartheid government will have covered their tracks sufficiently that no-one will ever know unless someone comes forward. It's also not a push to say SAA were an arm of the government then and for commercial and financial reasons would have no reason to investigate it today. The airline would be bankrupted.

Would love to know the answer either way.

Missing women who disappeared in the 90s - pretty sure that was a serial killer

Ah yes, without a doubt. But where have their bodies been put that they have never been found??

A good few are probably up in the Featherbeds :(

Excuse my ignorance, but where's that:o?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My point is that ageing is caused by regulated growth of cells.
    Cancer is what happens when the regulation ain't working.

http://scholar.google.com/ is a handy filter when looking up pseudoscience links, to get to peer reviewed links you also have to verify that the reviews don't come from sister sites. Maybe pseudoscience is the wrong word to use but we are so far from being able to safely manipulate what goes on in our body in relation to ageing that any claims other than basic research could be ignored without a significant burden of proof, mainly because of the potential to attract money.

Perhaps you should invest in orbo http://www.steorn.com/anti-fraud LOL

What are you on about? Aubrey de Grey? One of the worlds leading gerontologists? I don't still don't quite the mocking undertones to your post. Your reply is yet again slightly ambiguous, mocking, and irrelevant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Not quite a mystery per se, however, I would love to be a fly on the wall in the briefing the President of the United States gets from the various security services when (s)he becomes president-elect.

Id say there would be a lot of juicy stories in that meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

It always baffled me as to why Britain decided to keep Bletchley Park and its machines a class A secret after the war. Britain could have been the world leader in computers. Tommy Flowers, largely the develloper of the first computer colossus, after the war tried to get the post office to develop one, but he couldn't and didn't tell them he already built an operating one.

To me it was all a lost opportunity which was quickly taking up by the Americans who had seen Colossus operating and they developed Eniac and then spawning the computer age.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I'm sure i'll be completely alone in this and most of you won't know what i'm talking about but i'd like to know what happened to Richey Edwards after he disappeared.

That or what next week's euromillions numbers will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭badabing106

If you could have one mystery revealed to you what would it be?

examples... what really happened to madeline mcann

There really isn't a mystery if you ask the people who were directly involved in this case

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/151405/Maddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hearsMaddie-died-in-apartment-court-hears

Chief Inspector Tavares de Almeida told the court that he believed the couple, from Rothley, Leicestershire, were directly involved in Madeleine’s disappearance – a theory he said was shared by Portuguese and British officers working on the case.

He said: “The conclusion that was arrived at was that Madeleine McCann died at the apartment and the McCann couple simulated the abduction to hide the fact that they had not taken care of their children.

There was a tragic accident in the apartment that night and they neglected the care of their children. It was the conclusion of both Portuguese and British police. We have always spoken of a tragic accidental death. There was no homicide.

Asked if he thought Madeleine was dead, Mr de Almeida replied: “Yes. She is dead. It was not only the police who believed this but the public prosecutor. The McCanns did not kill her but they concealed the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Asked if he thought Madeleine was dead, Mr de Almeida replied: “Yes. She is dead. It was not only the police who believed this but the public prosecutor. The McCanns did not kill her but they concealed the body.

If the McCann's really did this I'll never buy their chips again! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

What happened to poor Shergar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

What happened to poor Shergar

he tasted lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm sure i'll be completely alone in this and most of you won't know what i'm talking about but i'd like to know what happened to Richey Edwards after he disappeared.

That or what next week's euromillions numbers will be :D

It would be nice to think that he escaped it all and found peace and solace in some exotic world location but the sad likely hood is that he found it at the bottom of the Severn instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

But what about the radioactive contamination found on the bodies?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Out of interest, does anyone know what the statute of limitations is on this? Assuming the only crime is the concealment of the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

It might have been the light from some kind of helicopter, though it seems that there was no mention of the lights (or radioactivity) in the original report, so they might have been added on later and might not be so trustworthy.

Was it not determined that the tent was cut from the inside out? Probably consistent with it being covered by a particularly heavy snowfall, but not convinced about the avalanche theory. Photographs of area around tent showed, trees bushes etc with their branches intact? Not sure what the story was with the reports of the glow in the sky though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd love to know what really killed the dinosaurs.

the big bang... was it god doin a big fart or wtf was it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

About 7 years ago , two young guys ( jack the lad types ) were found murdered in a field on the outskirts of Liverpool ( bullet to the head style ) and yet apart from been known to smoke some dope for personal pleasure , neither had any serious connections to crime that would warrant their deaths in such a way and it left their family as much baffled as to who would murder them and why.It's still unsolved and remains a mystery .

Advertisement