Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balla Mart (Mayo)

• 09-02-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone from around Mayo direction go here? Is it a good mart? I did hear that they spent alot of money on it in recent years. Supposed to be state of the art.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

State of the art is pushing it a bit but its a good enough mart to sell cattle in. I havent sold cattle there as its a bit far for me to bring a load with the tractor but my neighbour always sells a load or two his autumn weanlings and he swears by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone from around Mayo direction go here? Is it a good mart? I did hear that they spent alot of money on it in recent years. Supposed to be state of the art.

Largest mart in Connacht I believe. They've improved handling facilities lately and have 3 rings going at once on Saturdays. Get great volumes of stock and the yard can get a bit tight on the day. Never bought or sold there so don't know 'bout that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

do all my wheeling and dealing there ya its very good especially with the new loading facilities. you will always have a lot of cattle on a saturday with alot of buyers! bring cattle and ya wont be disappointed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

From my experience its a great mart for selling most weeks; farmers and dealers killing themselves to put in a bid! Large cattle numbers there each week. Auctioneers "sell quick" though compared to say Ballinrobe due to sheer volume of cattle to get through. In Ballinrobe they were really squeezing the last few euro out of it last week. As for the facilities, they are a big improvement compared to what they were especially traffic wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mayowillie

Ballinrobe mart is every bit as good as Balla, both price-wise and facilities-wise. Balla Mart is out in the middle of nowhere, Ballinrobe mart is very central to the town with tescos and all the shops open in the town on a sale day (Wednesday) - no bank open in Balla on a Saturday. I do all my business in Ballinrobe - it also has 2 rings opened in autumn and also does a buoyant sheep trade all year round. Despite what people might think, you get on equally as good in Ballinrobe as you would in Balla for both buyer and seller.

Off on a tangent there, Balla is a good mart and Connacht Gold have spent a lot of money on revamping Balla and they do a good trade there. The most problem I see with Balla mart is its location - in the middle of nowhere, plus to enter and exit the mart is very dangerous, it's on a hill and a bad corner on a busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭FixItAginTomora

mayowillie wrote: »
    Ballinrobe mart is every bit as good as Balla, both price-wise and facilities-wise. Balla Mart is out in the middle of nowhere, Ballinrobe mart is very central to the town with tescos and all the shops open in the town on a sale day (Wednesday) - no bank open in Balla on a Saturday. I do all my business in Ballinrobe - it also has 2 rings opened in autumn and also does a buoyant sheep trade all year round. Despite what people might think, you get on equally as good in Ballinrobe as you would in Balla for both buyer and seller.

Off on a tangent there, Balla is a good mart and Connacht Gold have spent a lot of money on revamping Balla and they do a good trade there. The most problem I see with Balla mart is its location - in the middle of nowhere, plus to enter and exit the mart is very dangerous, it's on a hill and a bad corner on a busy road.

Oh I agree in case was thought otherwise! In fact I prefer Ballinrobe! True on all accounts there! Although Balla town is only 3 or four mins in the road! Banks, food etc, no Tesco thou :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Great spot to buy big rangy stock any thing I took home thrived good OO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I would be a good distance from it but would have passed by it a few times with work.

I see the Charolais Society always have a sale up there. Real suckler country I'd say. They have a sale there the 16th of April. Think I might go up for a look. It's the only one that's on a Monday. Now I see why.

Thanks for all your input lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Ive only sold there and always came away happy... seems to be a good few northerner buyers also.

Rapid quick and when he is done he is done..you either sell or dont... none of this ¨on the market crack¨ as auctioneer gazes blankly around the room only to let the hammer down to original bid( dealer at ringside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

balla mart is 3 mins from balla , 10 from castlebar, and 10 from claremorris, jez its a cattle mart your going to bring a sandwich and stay out of tesco, ill bring you to the middle of nowhere for a spin someday, its not balla thats for sure :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You wouldn't by any chance be on the board at Ballinrobe would you Willie?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭feckin day gone again!!

pity the clowns in connacht gold sold swinford mart to Tesco.....now that was a mart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

ballina mart good prices and good cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

If you have good weanlings to sell Tuam Mart is the best place on the special u grade sale days I think they usually have them on the last Monday of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've a feeling this thread may turn into mart bashing.....(esp canteens)
    I like mine, nout wrong with it except some of the staff need a kick up the arse occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

Karen112 wrote: »
    I've a feeling this thread may turn into mart bashing.....(esp canteens)
    I like mine, nout wrong with it except some of the staff need a kick up the arse occasionally.
    and the dealers:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

same 130 wrote: »
    and the dealers:D:D

Those too.....I save my pointy boots for them!

Advertisement