Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History project

Options
  • 09-02-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey,
    For my history project I was thinking about doing it on James Meredith, the first black person to be able to go to college in America. Do you think that this is an ok idea or is it too obscure or broad? Thanks! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He wasn't the first black college student, he was the first in the Univ. of Mississippi.

It's not too broad a topic. Can you get access to contemporary newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭monkeysarecool

Thanks for the reply!
    No, i only have his biography, how would I get access to the newspapers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have a look are any of the Mississippi newspaper archives online - looking at how the whole time was covered in the different papers would be interesting.

Don't be afraid to contact history faculties in Universities directly - a student may welcome the chance to help you out with accessing sources over there.
    Contact the Univ. of Mississippi too, otherwise you might be a bit limited in your sources. It's not that long ago, so you might even try contact the man himself.

These may be of help:
    http://www.visionaryproject.org/meredithjames/
    http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/general_library/archives/finding_aids/MUM00293.html

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭monkeysarecool

Wow thank you so much! Really, you've been way more helpful than my history teacher has ever been :D

Advertisement