Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy monitor usage not matching meter

Options
  • 09-02-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

We have an airtricity energy monitor which says we use an average of 15 kw a day - it's based on previous 30 days but has read about the same for last 6 months-was slightly lower sept and oct and slightly higher over Christmas. Based on (actual) meter readings we're averaging almost 20 kws a day over the last six months. Is it normal for there to be such a difference? Monitor is a joke if it is. Could there be something wrong with the energy monitor? Could my husband have done something wrong while fitting it? We have an ESB smart monitor if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I haven't seen the airtricity meter, but im presuming it doesn't measure the voltage, so it wont be exact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes not measuring the voltage means the energy monitors are not a true kwh meter, but an ameter, and they calculate the kwh`s by assuming a fixed voltage, but adjusting the voltage setting upwards on it will increase its reading.

Check the clamp on the sensor is properly closed as well.

What voltage setting is it on Muppet?

Id nearly get a ban for saying that to anyone else:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Muppet2006

Well my husband moved the clamp around and the usage on the monitor jumped up. Other than plugging it in, setting the date etc, I know very little about the monitor (that's probably obvious though).
    We got a bill yesterday based on actual readings which averages 25 kw per day. So I guess I'll have to give it a week and see if the monitor is giving a truer reading. Not sure what else I can possibly do to reduce our energy consumption but 25 kw seems very high-I'm sure theres a thread here somewhere to help me though :)
    Thanks,
    Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Muppet2006 wrote: »
    Well my husband moved the clamp around and the usage on the monitor jumped up. Other than plugging it in, setting the date etc, I know very little about the monitor (that's probably obvious though).
    We got a bill yesterday based on actual readings which averages 25 kw per day. So I guess I'll have to give it a week and see if the monitor is giving a truer reading. Not sure what else I can possibly do to reduce our energy consumption but 25 kw seems very high-I'm sure theres a thread here somewhere to help me though :)
    Thanks,
    Muppet.

Muppet2006 – you raise two issues in your post (1) the accuracy of your monitor v your ESB meter and (2) your usage of 25 kWh’s (units) per day

(1)Accuracy of monitor – these units as already mentioned are merely taking samples of your load a regular intervals (typically 5 second down to 1 second) and assuming a constant voltage (say 220 volt) which in reality does not happen, but for most domestic analysis are very suitable and in my experience can be within a few percent of you ESB meter. In your post you say that by moving the clamp that you are getting a higher figure, which to me does not seem to be the most likely case of your lower reading. In my experience it is the relationship between the clamp/transmitter and the monitor/receiver. This is a wireless network and for a number of reasons your monitor/receiver may not be receiving all the transmitted data. Do you have the facility to look through the data and see if there are gaps? In general these units are best used to identify typical high usages devices and to help consequent change in practice rather than as a measurement tool.

(2)Usage of 25 kWh’s per day – these figures are typically on the high side for domestic consumption, but must be considered against a number of factors such as size of dwelling, number and ages of occupant’s and most importantly, what function’s you require your electric energy to provide. Do you provide all your space heating from electric energy and if so what system are you using? Do you provide all you water heating and so on?

Advertisement