Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitor Apprenticeship

• 09-02-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Has anyone completed their training contracts with a non law firm for eg inhouse/ in the legal department of a bank or other corporate?

Feedback appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

I wasn't aware that you could?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 elya765

As long as you get required experience in areas not covered by the corporate company eg conveyancing etc via secondment i think you can. In England its quite common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Yes you can do it but it's not that common. The Financial Regulator for example will train solicitors. Similarly the banks and some other financial institutions. I have a friend in a stockbrokers who is in Blackhall. You just need to go to a firm on secondment to complete the requirement for practical conveyancing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

If you can get the secondment well and good (your training will be better for it), I wouldn't necessarily say without it you're doomed. It boils down to what you tell the LSI (or omit as the case may be). They really don't monitor it.

There are many organisations, state, semi-state and private that you can get a TC from, ESB, DPP, Chief State, Ins companies, Central Bank. There are loads others. Big companies employ in-house, they can give TC provided the usual criteria for training solrs are met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

Girl in my blackhall class did hers in a county council law office. Not aware if she went off on secondment but i'd imagine she did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

shaneybaby wrote: »
    Girl in my blackhall class did hers in a county council law office. Not aware if she went off on secondment but i'd imagine she did.

Most people who do it tend to find a friend in Blackhall to swap with for a few months. i.e. the person in the council goes into a (generally small) firm and the trainee from that firm goes into the council for a while. The reason most people do that if they're in a public sector job is that generally they won't keep paying you for the period of secondment unless you get somebody to swap in.

Advertisement