Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness requirements?

• 09-02-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I was wondering what the fitness requirements are for the Reserve, specifically as to whether they are the same as the PCT which candidates for the full-time force must pass?

I was recently at a talk given by Insp. Featherstone of the Crime Prevention and Community Relations Office and was thinking of applying given the way he put it, as something people (in this context, law students) could do to give back to the community, as if accepted, it's only four hours a week outside of extraordinary incidents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Bump.

I repeat, is it just a medical or do you have to do a PCT? The information available on various sites doesn't seem to make it clear, or maybe I missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Only halfway through the process myself at the moment but to my knowledge there is no fitness test. However, measurments such as BMI and lung capacity are taken at the medical. Much like the Army Reserve, fitness levels are the responsibility of reserves members themselves who are expected to maintain a suitable level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Only halfway through the process myself at the moment but to my knowledge there is no fitness test. However, measurments such as BMI and lung capacity are taken at the medical. Much like the Army Reserve, fitness levels are the responsibility of reserves members themselves who are expected to maintain a suitable level of fitness.

Thanks for your response.

I had presumed as much, as a formal fitness test might be a barrier to a lot of older recruits who have an interest in giving their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

, it's only four hours a week outside of extraordinary incidents.

its four hours minimum per week, over 52weeks, in order to qualify for the annual yearly allowance

most reserves will do far more than this

also, to answer your original question, there is no PCT for entry into the garda reserve, just a stringent medical.

my advice to anyone reading this thread with the intention of joining the reserve - get fit and keep fit

Advertisement