Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who sets Politician's Salaries ?

• 09-02-2012 5:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Who says how much each politician gets paid ?

How does this work in Ireland

v's

UK
    USA

Would love to know. Judging by their pay they set their own salaries.
    Can we all vote somehow to set their pay to 25k a year ??

Would also love to know who sets the salaries in RTE
    Pay Kenny getting paid 4 times what Obama does for example.

How can we the public take control of our politicians ?

Just curious is all :confused:

I'd even go as far to say I would like to see on each TD's website their expenses uploaded each quarter for the public to see as well so we can see which politician is spending what in terms of expenses.

Bet it would drop down 90% if this was rolled out.
    But they judge everything for us, how can we judge them, is this even possible in our current system

I would personally like to see them all on the lowest of basic salaries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

An indepenent body..

Im just ****ting.. They do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

RichieC wrote: »
    An indepenent body..

Im just ****ting.. They do.

Really ? if so it explains alot.

What about the UK / USA ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Politicians do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Lizard People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Their pay should be linked to the average industrial wage. Maybe 3x the AIW.

Nobody paid from the pig trough public purse should be on more than 5x the AIW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

They rejected an amendment in the US, this was I think part of the bill of rights, about Congress being able to change their salaries.

Not entirely sure about it, but I do know an amendment about salaries was rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Stiffler2 wrote: »

I've done moderately well in my own field and at the age of 38 have a salary of €90K.
    I feel I have some reasonable ideas for the future of the country which fit in with the ethos of Fine Gael so am considering standing for them in council elections with a view to contesting a General Election in 5 years, being a minister in 12 years and An Taoiseach in 20 years.

However I currently have a €1400 mortgage (15 years remaining) and various other expensive life commitements (kids education etc).

Your 'lowest of the basic salaries' idea has just robbed the country of my input as I now can't afford to go into politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

nigel winterburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Really ? if so it explains alot.

What about the UK / USA ?

Congress sets their own salaries in the US - there is an automatic cost of living increase (which they wrote for themselves), and they can vote to freeze it for any given fiscal year. They have frozen the wages since 2009.

They also get very good government-provided health coverage. Too bad the rest of us don't. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Lord Zenu. DUUUUUHHHH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The salary fairy does most of the work.

RTE presenters leave their talent under their pillows at night and wake up to a cheque in the morning.

Politicians do the same but they have to leave planning permission documents under their pillows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Congress sets their own salaries in the US - there is an automatic cost of living increase (which they wrote for themselves), and they can vote to freeze it for any given fiscal year. They have frozen the wages since 2009.

They also get very good government-provided health coverage. Too bad the rest of us don't. :mad:
    Now come on you know if you had government run health care it would be ****, like everything else the government runs :pac:

source: fox news.

I've done moderately well in my own field and at the age of 38 have a salary of €90K.
    I feel I have some reasonable ideas for the future of the country which fit in with the ethos of Fine Gael so am considering standing for them in council elections with a view to contesting a General Election in 5 years, being a minister in 12 years and An Taoiseach in 20 years.

However I currently have a €1400 mortgage (15 years remaining) and various other expensive life commitements (kids education etc).

Your 'lowest of the basic salaries' idea has just robbed the country of my input as I now can't afford to go into politics.

TBH they've been eating gravy for too long, I want to see them eating that cheese they were handing out instead.

Does anyone have proof or a link on who sets their salaries ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TBH they've been eating gravy for too long, I want to see them eating that cheese they were handing out instead.

Does it sound like a plan to encourage the best young people in their 20s and 30s to dedicate themselves to politics and improving the country?

Or does it sound like a plan that hasn't gone beyond the drooler stage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

The Oireachtas salaries are set by independent people who have been independently appointed by politicians, usually to lucrative posts with excellent pension schemes, and know bloody well which side their bread is buttered on. Since they are invariably well-heeled themselves, they understand how expensive it is to be in public life and maintain the kinds of standards the plebs electorate expect of their elected representatives and make sure the salaries and allowances these people get are adequate.:rolleyes:

I suppose the system is a universal one and, with minor variations on the same theme, operates in much the same way in every country.:)

http://strangecosmos.com/images/content/11949.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Well, we control who gets elected.

Sadly most Irish people are by and large thick, and constantly elect inept, corrupt, self-serving mefeinners and then moan about them.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector

That is the name of the body that used to set senior PS pay.

Also known as the Buckley report.

http://www.reviewbody.gov.ie/

Membership of The Review Body

Tony O’Brien, Chairperson of Review Body

Chairman of C&C Group plc. Former non-Executive Director of CRH plc. and chaired the Remuneration Committee. Former member of the Civil Service Committee for Performance Awards. Former Chairman of Anglo Irish Bank Corporation, plc and chaired the Remuneration Committee. Past President of IBEC.

Brian Hillery

Chairman of Independent News and Media plc, UniCredito Italiano Bank (Ireland) plc and Providence Resources plc. Commissioner, National Pensions Reserve Fund Commission. Former TD and Senator. Former Professor, Graduate School of Business, UCD.

Vivienne Jupp

Chair, Accenture Institute for Public Service Value. Former global managing partner in Accenture. Member of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland. Board member of the UCD Smurfit Graduate School of Business. Chaired the Information Society Commission from 1996 to 2000.

Peter Malone

Director and former CEO of Jurys Doyle Hotel Group. Chairman of National Roads Authority. Chairman CBRE. Chairman Business Tourism Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Who says how much each politician gets paid ?

How does this work in Ireland

v's

UK
    USA

Would love to know. Judging by their pay they set their own salaries.
    Can we all vote somehow to set their pay to 25k a year ??

Would also love to know who sets the salaries in RTE
    Pay Kenny getting paid 4 times what Obama does for example.

Just curious is all :confused:

I'd even go as far to say I would like to see on each TD's website their expenses uploaded each quarter for the public to see as well so we can see which politician is spending what in terms of expenses.

Bet it would drop down 90% if this was rolled out.
    But they judge everything for us, how can we judge them, is this even possible in our current system

While I think that expenses should be transparent, why do you think a TD should be on a low basic salary? In other countries, when this was the case, being an elected official was the provence of the independently wealthy.

Honestly, I don't think it's the wages that are the big issue, it is all the other perks and benefits - especially the pensions - that are the big ticket items.

http://www.reviewbody.gov.ie/Documents/Report%2044.pdf

This seems to be the most recent report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

politicians

Does it sound like a plan to encourage the best young people in their 20s and 30s to dedicate themselves to politics and improving the country?

Or does it sound like a plan that hasn't gone beyond the drooler stage yet?

What's the point in electing smart people who can hide things when we should be electing dumba$$'s who can't tie their shoes.

Zee Germans and Zee EU dictate everything anyway so there isn't really any decisions to be made

***May not have thought this through fully***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Themselves of course. After all, who else would even consider paying such wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I thibk the theory is you want to attract the best of the best by offering great wages. Sounds legit.

I think our politicians should be drawn from a hat like durys from a pool of our university graduates over the age of 35 to serve four years in the dail with pay that would compete with their expected salery.

We could still elect our president.

We need to end career politicians.

Advertisement