Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - I’m really upset & at my wits end

Options
  • 09-02-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, please feel free to move it.
    I’m hoping someone can help me with this as I’m really upset & at my wits end over this.
    In december, I purchased meteor mobile broadband on an 18 month contract. I gave it a chance however, it didn’t work as well as I hoped so I went to cancel it. I spent 2 days trying to get meteor on the phone & when I finally got through, I was told I was a few hours out of the 14 day cooling off period & would be charged. Wasn’t thrilled about this but accepted it as I’ve happily been a loyal meteor phone customer many years & wanted to continue to be so.
    Then was told the only way to cancel it was to bring the dongle back into the store I got it from. Due to my working hours, this was going to be impossible to get to that particular store in Dun Laoghaire so I was then told I could bring it back into any Meteor store to cancel it. It was Christmas week so I brought it back to the Meteor store in Bray as soon as I could. They told me they’d cancel it, I handed them back the dongle, signed a form & thought no more of it.
    Opened my meteor bill the other day & was shocked to see I’m still being charged for it. So I rang 1905 where they said there was no record of it being cancelled, there’s nothing they can do & that I had to back to the Bray store where they would sort it out.
    So I took an afternoon off work, went back to Bray where I was told there was no record of me cancelling it with them, of ever having been in there & no record of the dongle!! But they would check with guy that was off that day. Got a phone call this morning to say he can’t remember me & was I sure it was them I went into???? I’m not that silly as not to know my local town. They said it’s their word against mine, there’s nothing they can do & to go & ring Meteor again. So I ring Meteor yet again, there’s nothing they can do & to go back to the store again & tell them it must be somewhere.
    At this stage I am completely stressed out at all of this, it’s absolutely ridiculous & beyond a joke. I feel like I'm being made a complete fool of. I actually ended up crying down the phone I’m that upset. All I want to do is cancel something I’m not using, haven’t used, can’t use but am still being charged for.
    Can someone please advise me?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd suggest the following:

1) Post on their own forums - they might respond. There's a forum on www.meteor.ie

2) Call 1905, explain that you are making a *formal complaint* and ask for a reference number for this.

3) Write to them, quoting this complaint reference number and again outline the situation in full and ask them to resolve it (do not rant or get angry, just write in a very calm, concise and business-like manner.)

Send this by registered letter, to : (ensure you keep a copy)

Postal address: Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd
    1 Heuston South Quarter, St John’s Road, Dublin

If this is not resolved within a few days, then you should contact ComReg www.comreg.ie and raise it with them too.

Their complaints policy is outlined here : http://www.meteor.ie/rubylith/files/code_of_practice2.pdf
    (PDF also contains all of their postal, fax and other contact details)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

The absolute worst company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Sorry, that doesn't help you with your query but I feel slightly better...

Doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You should also cancel all direct debits on your bank account for meteor(there may be more than one active direct debit!). They will pay more attention to the issue when they don't have access to your money.

You should go into your bank branch to do this and if there is any hassle or questions tell your bank you are in a dispute with meteor and that you do not authorise any further payments to them.

If they tell you they cant cancel the debits you should tell them that they are obliged to by law as it is your account and your money and you will complain to the financial services regulator if they ignore your instruction and pay over your money without authorisation.

You should also tell meteor this but continue to pay your normal bill-phone bill amount in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

NorNor wrote: »
    I am having issues with other provide 3 Mobile, and am wondering if should cut off DD?

Absolute rip of from 3 mobile. My bill came in 6 times the normal monthly charge because I went over the plan and they are charging unbelieveably excessive rates on those calls. If i was on the correct plan it would have been 1.5 times the amount but they are looking to charge me 6 months effectively. Customer service was awful and rude with rep refusing to give their name saying not entitled to it or to transfer to their manager. After 10 years with Vodafone with no issues or not getting ripped off, really regretting now moving to three if that is how they treat their customers. They are saying that i can switch plan but are refusing to put the current outstanding charges at the rate of what the correct plan would be.

Has anybody else had these issues with 3, or any joy with their complaints department or ideas what to do??

If you went over the plan and you were charged the stated price for the useage then no, you can't do anything and you can't cancel the contract.

You say "if I was on the correct plan", who are you on the incorrect plan? If it's your mistake then it's tough luck.

You can't just give out and cancel a contract because you made too many calls and are unhappy with the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Solair wrote: »
    I'd suggest the following:

1) Post on their own forums - they might respond. There's a forum on www.meteor.ie

2) Call 1905, explain that you are making a *formal complaint* and ask for a reference number for this.

3) Write to them, quoting this complaint reference number and again outline the situation in full and ask them to resolve it (do not rant or get angry, just write in a very calm, concise and business-like manner.)

Send this by registered letter, to : (ensure you keep a copy)

Postal address: Meteor Mobile Communications Ltd
    1 Heuston South Quarter, St John’s Road, Dublin

If this is not resolved within a few days, then you should contact ComReg www.comreg.ie and raise it with them too.

Their complaints policy is outlined here : http://www.meteor.ie/rubylith/files/code_of_practice2.pdf
    (PDF also contains all of their postal, fax and other contact details)

You should contact Comreg first and lodge the complaint and they can also adivse you on wording the complaint to meteor. You can then call them back with the formal complaint reference number so they can follow things up at their end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The absolute worst company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

Sorry, that doesn't help you with your query but I feel slightly better...

Doc.

+1

I cant say ive come across such shocking customer service in years maybe even the worst of all time,7 years i was with Meteor and for the first few years i had no problems at all but the last 2 years and especially the last year the customer service is nothing short of appalling you should see their facebook page the last year day in, day out it is flooded with complaints, in December after 7 years of being a loyal customer i left and good riddance, they are a victim of their own success, they started as a small mobile operator to become one of Ireland's biggest but seriously neglected customer service and i think they have lost a lot of customers over the last year but they'll always get new ones so they don't really care.

Avoid Meteor like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

jonnny68 wrote: »
    +1

I cant say ive come across such shocking customer service in years maybe even the worst of all time,7 years i was with Meteor and for the first few years i had no problems at all but the last 2 years and especially the last year the customer service is nothing short of appalling you should see their facebook page the last year day in, day out it is flooded with complaints, in December after 7 years of being a loyal customer i left and good riddance, they are a victim of their own success, they started as a small mobile operator to become one of Ireland's biggest but seriously neglected customer service and i think they have lost a lot of customers over the last year but they'll always get new ones so they don't really care.

Avoid Meteor like the plague.

I found in their first few years they were great, customer service was always excellent. Then they were taken over by Eircom. Any time after that they were dire.

Advertisement