Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe you have a soul?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Well yes, every living thing is a soul. Stop with the Plato.
    What is a soul? Surely every living animal on this planet has this soul then? All the millions upon millions of insects all have souls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

You are a soul, its a way of describing a life in relation to a creator.
    If you don't believe in a God then 'soul' is an empty term, a bit like lifeforce or energy or whatever hand wavie new age term you feel gives you comfort faced with the cold indifferent universe you inhabit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Red haired people have no soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You are a soul, its a way of describing a life in relation to a creator.
    If you don't believe in a God then 'soul' is an empty term, a bit like lifeforce or energy or whatever hand wavie new age term you feel gives you comfort faced with the cold indifferent universe you inhabit.

This is what I don't understand, do people who believe they have a soul knowingly decide to do so because it gives them comfort? Or is there something to suggest that such a thing actually exists?

Personally I'm fine with just being a whole load of fleshy cables. I'm delighted that I got the opportunity. The only shame is that it has to end some day, but who knows, maybe technology can change that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.
    When I'm dead, thats it. I'm gone.
    None of this soul crap. It par with this invisible man stuff always watching over us again!
    Hocus-pocus, mumbo-jumbo.

• Advertisement

This is what I don't understand, do people who believe they have a soul knowingly decide to do so because it gives them comfort? Or is there something to suggest that such a thing actually exists?

Personally I'm fine with just being a whole load of fleshy cables. I'm delighted that I got the opportunity. The only shame is that it has to end some day, but who knows, maybe technology can change that.
    Christ no!. Life saving technology would destroy this planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My belief: Everything is energy, everything is cyclical.

Universes come and go, people come and go.

I do believe that some can be possessed with what I can only call a spirit or soul. This extra bit is the 'whatever' that seemingly separates us from most animals and I believe that this bit leaves at death and goes on to possess another newborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

bnt wrote: »
    You seem to be hung up on this question of definitions, but that's just a distraction. You don't have to define something exactly before you can say "I don't believe that"; belief is not a default position, to be taken unless there's a reason to disbelieve.

Doc's reference to definitions was in response to my comments about how the "soul" would have to be redefined as a physical thing (as oppose to metaphysical) before it could be considered rational to believe in.

He wasn't making the point about "definitions" himself, just thought I'd mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

If I have a spirit presence inside me that can survive without the body then why do I have a body? Why do I eat, sleep and shít?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Christ no!. Life saving technology would destroy this planet.

Yeah that's what they said about the loom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This is interesting, why would you think that?

I consider an existence after death to be a possibility, but I don't believe that there's one overall god. That seems to say "christianity's way or the highway".

MyKeyG wrote: »
    If I have a spirit presence inside me as a life force then what are all my organs for?

This planet's lifeforms are pretty primitive as of yet.

Yeah that's what they said about the loom.
    So more people are born and yet no one dies? How would we sustain all these people? Would never work.

So more people are born and yet no one dies? How would we sustain all these people? Would never work.

I see it as a 300 year life cycle, [potential] rather than everlasting life.

If you could live for a thousand years you probably wouldn't have kids in your twenties. You might have them when you're 600 instead. Society adapts, technology changes.

If you could extend lives to that scale it would bring about radical social change. You can't just plug infinite or vastly expanded lifespans into the present day world and say "we'd be fúcked".

If you could live for a thousand years you probably wouldn't have kids in your twenties. You might have them when you're 600 instead. Society adapts, technology changes.

If you could extend lives to that scale it would bring about radical social change. You can't just plug infinite or vastly expanded lifespans into the present day world and say "we'd be fúcked".
    Ah ok. Liverpool might just win the league then. Might. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

Interesting to see that most people believe they don`t have souls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

A sign of maturity, which is refreshing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    This is interesting, why would you think that?

I consider an existence after death to be a possibility, but I don't believe that there's one overall god. That seems to say "christianity's way or the highway".

No, I was saying that the term 'soul' has a specific meaning in Christian terms.
    Would that be this highway?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5kv8QeBBc ;)

I don't know if life or existence can continue after death.
    If our soul is the personality part, the information and feelings that we carry as living bodies, ware can it go? How can that info be transferred to something else?
    I'm not ruling it out, I'm well aware of the fact that information can cross through chaos and come out intact, look up Soliton waves, so I suppose if our soul is the bit that survives it may well prove to be some kind of eletrical phenomenon akin to a soliton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Not in the spiritual sense at least. To me your soul is defined by character, your integrity, dignity etc or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement