Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster centres

Options
  • 09-02-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

So news today confirms Munsters signing of Casey Laulala

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5716.php

Combined with the signing of Downey, is it fair to say McGahan doesn't see Earls as a first choice centre in the coming years and what does that say about his selection for this weekend at 13.

I'm a Munster fan, so this isn't a provincial thing, but I don't think McFadden done a lot wrong at the weekend and I can't see Earls as a centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

So news today confirms Munsters signing of Casey Laulala

http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5716.php

Combined with the signing of Downey, is it fair to say McGahan doesn't see Earls as a first choice centre in the coming years and what does that say about his selection for this weekend at 13.

I'm a Munster fan, so this isn't a provincial thing, but I don't think McFadden done a lot wrong at the weekend and I can't see Earls as a centre.

It's sometimes necessary to have more than one 13 in a squad you know

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    It's sometimes necessary to have more than one 13 in a squad you know

Ok yeah obviously thats a given, but does this imply that he's not first choice?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ok yeah obviously thats a given, but does this imply that he's not first choice?

I would think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭MikeMacca

i played against keith at schools and club level and he is a perfect number 13,im just amazed its only taken this long for him to finally get the jersey.
    competition is always needed. how many natural 13's are there at munster at the minute? most centres there are 12's. Laulala is a perfect signing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

MikeMacca wrote: »
    i played against keith at schools and club level and he is a perfect number 13,im just amazed its only taken this long for him to finally get the jersey
    competetion is always needed. how many natural 13's are there at munster at the minute? most centres there are 12's. Laulala is a perfect signing

I know this is pointing out the obvious, but the difference between that level and international is absolutely colossal.

• Advertisement

how many natural 13's are there at munster at the minute?

Zero

Tox56 wrote: »
    I know this is pointing out the obvious, but the difference between that level and international is absolutely colossal.
    you dont say :eek:
    im talking about his whole game, his strengths etc
    he was never a fullback, he's wasted on the wing. centre and more specifically outside centre is his natural position

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Zero

besides earls, you are correct

he was never a fullback, he's wasted on the wing. centre and more specifically outside centre is his natural position

Wing is by far the position that plays most to his strengths. His weak defending can be hidden (to a degree) on the wing, and as a general rule his distribution is rarely tested, he just needs to put his head down and run, and most notably of all his fantastic finishing can be availed of on the wing.

We have seen from recent games he prefers to just run with it, and the distribution, decision making and vision needed for 13 I believe he does not posses (at least not at International level). These are all skills he needs little of, if at all, on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

any chance of Downey getting picked for next years 6 nations? would be good to have someone of his size in the centre against Wales and France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Just because he excelled at playing 13 at schoolboy level doesn't mean he's international standard, his distribution is poor as is his defence(for international standard that is). Good finisher though. That would lead us to believe he is a winger

incorrect. i have played against the man, i watch him live every single match whether it be munster or ireland.
    he runs good lines , is a good passer, is speedy and a great off loader. all the traits needed for a 13. he is also a better tackler than anything we have at the moment. if darcy could tackle, imagine how many more wins than losses ireland would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

My money is on James Downey turning out the same way as Johne Murphy, they look better from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Duplication of a point I made on the general Munster thread, but if McGahan genuinely saw Earls as the future of 13 at Munster, he would never in a million years have signed Laulala.

The big NIQ signings should be reserved for positions of weakness, not a position which one of your best players is going to be occupying. Are Earls and Laulala going to be slugging it out for the jersey? No, Earls will play on the wing.

incorrect. i have played against the man, i watch him live every single match whether it be munster or ireland.
    he runs good lines , is a good passer, is speedy and a great off loader. all the traits needed for a 13. he is also a better tackler than anything we have at the moment. if darcy could tackle, imagine how many more wins than losses ireland would have

I don't really know what to say to that.

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't really know what to say to that.

in other words you have no answer to my devastatingly accurate points

Earls is an absolute terrible passer.

I think you have confused Keith with someone else.

It's as if someone just described Ireland as "Hot, dry, and full of babes in bikinis"

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

he is also a better tackler than anything we have at the moment. if darcy could tackle, imagine how many more wins than losses ireland would have

Totally untrue. the reason there is any doubt about Earls at 13 is due to his tackling ability. Eveyone knows he is very good going forward and his link up play is good too.
    D'Arcy hasn't got two H-Cups and a GS to his name by being a bad tackler. Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

oh dear, the leinster lads are in full force today. darcy is a shocking tackler,how can you disagree with this :eek:

keitho will prove all the doubters wrong this saturday and in the remaining HC games.

MOYROSS ABÚ

I hope your right but considering your of the opinion that he's a great passer and excellent tackler I dont have much faith in your expertise. I'm afraid will probably see more of the same from him with the added exception of Rougerie making him look like a tackle bag.

• Advertisement

oh dear, the leinster lads are in full force today. darcy is a shocking tackler,how can you disagree with this :eek:

keitho will prove all the doubters wrong this saturday and in the remaining HC games.

MOYROSS ABÚ

D'Arcy has been poor in defence of late. What that has to do with Earls poor passing is.beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If I could just return to the origin of the topic...

Laulala is a good signing, he's a pretty good player and is a natural 13...which is the first one we've had since Tipoki. Good step and well able to take the ball into contact. Maybe slight questions over his distribution but is still probably better than we have.

And if Bowe is going to Ulster and there are questions over whether Howlett's contract will be renewed, we're looking at a back 3 of Zebo-Earls-Jones which could be devastating in attack if they get supply. Serious pace there and I think if Earls can just play on the wing without getting shunted around all the time, it'll do his game a lot of good.

If we do need someone to slot into 13, he will do a job, he's not as terrible as some people suggest, he has had some good games there but he's so much better on the wing because he's a brilliant finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Ok, as the OP i think this thread has lost its way a bit from the discussion I wanted to see, which was the fact that McGahan prefers Earls on the wing yet Kidney is determined to make him into a 13.

Its not about Munster and Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

WTF? You're the only one who has mentioned Leinster on this thread.

Your opinion of Earls as a 13 is clearly not shared by Tony McGahan. Is he a closet Leinster fan now?

Just because they've signed another 13 does not mean Earls is not seen as a centre.
    Isn't it all about squad rotation for success? :confused:

I'd much prefer to have a Laulala in the mix than Mafi or Barnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm excited about Laulala, I've been impressed anytime I've seen him. Tipoki was 32 when he signed so I wouldn't be too worried about Laulala being 29/30 when he arrives. Finally we've signed an out and out 13 instead of trying to convert JdV or Mafi.

I expect Mafi will confirm his departure very soon. He divides opinion a lot but you can never doubt his commitment. He took a fair amount of punishement in Milton Keynes recently.

I don't think Earls will be at centre for Munster this year, unless they play him at 12 god forbid.

Murray, ROG, Earls, Downey, Laulala, Zebo, Jones would be a tasty backline next season with the likes of Barnes, Hurley and Murphy as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

d-gal wrote: »
    Just because they've signed another 13 does not mean Earls is not seen as a centre.
    Isn't it all about squad rotation for success? :confused:

I'd much prefer to have a Laulala in the mix than Mafi or Barnes.

This is also quite true...I'd be surprised if Earls didn't play 13 at all next season, but hopefully he'll be left on the wing for most of the season.

But it's a fair point that McFadden and EOM are rotated and it definitely works for Leinster, the more options Munster have that are capable of playing HC level the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Whatever else about Earls, I don't see how anyone could say he doesn't run good lines, most his tries look easy because of the line he takes. As I always point out, if they were actually that easy we'd all be internationals.

Anyhow, going back to the OP, I'm reasonably hopeful Hanrahan will be a decent centre and that Smith and Barnes will come through to at least a Pro12 or HEC standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is Smith any good?

Earls isn't a bad tackler per se (though he's not great). It's his positioning that's the issue.

Hard to see Laulau not being first choice, though I haven't seen a massice amount of him lately so dunno what his form is like.

• Advertisement

I think Munster could have a pretty solid backline next year with these new guys brought in.

Won't be a world beater, but will more than hold its own, probable 4/5 IQ players isn't bad either.

Advertisement