Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Country for ANY Men, apparently.

• 09-02-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this interesting anomaly earlier this month. There exists an 800sq. mile piece of land in Africa, between Egypt and Sudan, called Bir Tawil. The reason I found this of interest is that is the only place (I know of) on Earths' inhabited continents without a country, and therefore presumably, laws.

-Could you kill someone there and get away with it?
    -Should us Boardsies claim it perhaps?
    -What would you do with it if you were in charge?!

Here's a link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir_Tawil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Omackeral wrote: »
    Came across this interesting anomaly earlier this month. There exists an 800sq. mile piece of land in Africa, between Egypt and Sudan, called Bir Tawil. The reason I found this of interest is that is the only place (I know of) on Earths' inhabited continents without a country, and therefore presumably, laws.

-Could you kill someone there and get away with it?
    -Should us Boardsies claim it perhaps?
    -What would you do with it if you were in charge?!

Here's a link.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bir_Tawil

But it's not entirely unclaimed or lawless, is it? As a test, put together a small army and invade. That will tell you its true value to Egypt, a well as helpfully giving them a cause to unite against as they try to make their country work. Send us back pics, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I claim it as a colony of the donegal empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yeah, Egypt has quite a large army, one of the biggest in fact. I'd let the British invade and see what the Madhi's do to 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Aww I thought the thread was about a breakaway nation of lesbians.

I am disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can we deport the Corkies to there?

John Doe1 wrote: »

For it to be a colony you actually have to go and live there, and actually have an empire in the first place. What you do have is an incomprehensible accent and Shay Given. So you're half the way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

It doesn't really sound like much craic anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

It might be a micronation in the middle of nowhere but I bet its got more traffic lights than Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Can we deport the Corkies to there?

As a Zebra, wouldn't you be more at home there? The Corkies are happy where they are ;)

• Advertisement

Sindri wrote: »
    For it to be a colony you actually have to go and live there, and actually have an empire in the first place. What you do have is an incomprehensible accent and Shay Given. So you're half the way there.

Yes because of course i was being 100 percent serious. :rolleyes:
    Wow well done first rate job of humour there, you will go far kid

I was serious:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I thought this thread was going to be a country that only had beautiful women and no men.

Aw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ye have already colonised the area around GMIT and NUIG, hungry feckers :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Aww I thought the thread was about a breakaway nation of lesbians.

I am disappoint.
    I thought this thread was going to be a country that only had beautiful women and no men.

Aw.

I swear I wrote that before reading any replies! :eek:

Spooky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I swear I wrote that before reading any replies! :eek:

Spooky.
    Great minds, Chuck, great minds. Besides I don't think a country full of lesbians is ever far from the thoughts of any man.

deccurley wrote: »
    Ye have already colonised the area around GMIT and NUIG, hungry feckers :p

Yes, mayo, galway, north africa and who who knows where next:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

They were talking about the Bir Tawil on a recent episode of QI.

Whereas there are a lot of cases where countries and regions fight over land - such as Kashmir, the Falklands or Northern Ireland - the case of Bir Tawil is the opposite. Both Sudan and Egypt, whose borders were drawn by the British, each say that the other country should own it, because each doesn't want it. It's like they are both saying: "No, you have it." "No, I insist, YOU have it." "No, please, accept it as a gift."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah, Egypt has quite a large army, one of the biggest in fact. I'd let the British invade and see what the Madhi's do to 'em.

they are kinda busy at the minute they might not notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That figures, seeing as it's presumably lawless, remote and no doubt populated by savages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yes, mayo, galway, north africa and who who knows where next:D

not coppers, anywhere but coppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Batsy wrote: »
    They were talking about the Bir Tawil on a recent episode of QI.

Whereas there are a lot of cases where countries and regions fight over land - such as Kashmir, the Falklands or Northern Ireland - the case of Bir Tawil is the opposite. Both Sudan and Egypt, whose borders were drawn by the British, each say that the other country should own it, because each doesn't want it. It's like they are both saying: "No, you have it." "No, I insist, YOU have it." "No, please, accept it as a gift."

That prompted me to think which bit of territory has the most countries disputing ownership. Rockall might be up there with four but being a person with an interest in amateur radio I was aware of the Spratly Island which has six.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

It is a bit difficult to know what wording to google to find out if any other place beats that but I'm sure someone here will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

States are criminal organisation - the strip of land should remained unclaimed by any state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I declare the soverign nation of Pirateania, a land free of SOPA and RIAA, Religion is banned and all drugs and prostitution are legalised. Citizenship is open to one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The future starting place of WWIII.

Advertisement