Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Titan or Lumia 800

Options
  • 09-02-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

So it come to the time i go back to Windows Phone 7 and i cant really make up my mind which one would be more suited for me.

Ive used both phones briefly and yet i can't pick out which one i love the most.

The Titan is a massive phone and thats really what i love about it. If feels like a tank in the hand, sturdy and powerful and its the most powerful WP7 handset out right now. SLCD screen on it is quite amazing too with the colours poping up well but still slightly behind AMOLED screens. Huge advantage of this phone for me is that it has a removable back so i can get a spare battery for a day when im far away from a charger, even though on the spec sheet Titan is meant to have longer standby time than the Lumia.

On the other hand ive got a Lumia 800 which is an awesome looking device with a gorgeous screen yet unfortunately small screen. The .1 Ghz wont make a massive difference but it also lacks a FCC for upcoming skype app as i think I would be using that quite a bit when it comes out.

Im not really bothered by Nokia Maps as I already bought Navigon when i had my Omnia 7 so it really comes down to user feedback and this is the reason why im posting here. Would love to hear some positive and negative feedback on people who own the phone already :P

So help please :) :cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

So it come to the time i go back to Windows Phone 7 and i cant really make up my mind which one would be more suited for me.

Ive used both phones briefly and yet i can't pick out which one i love the most.

The Titan is a massive phone and thats really what i love about it. If feels like a tank in the hand, sturdy and powerful and its the most powerful WP7 handset out right now. SLCD screen on it is quite amazing too with the colours poping up well but still slightly behind AMOLED screens. Huge advantage of this phone for me is that it has a removable back so i can get a spare battery for a day when im far away from a charger, even though on the spec sheet Titan is meant to have longer standby time than the Lumia.

On the other hand ive got a Lumia 800 which is an awesome looking device with a gorgeous screen yet unfortunately small screen. The .1 Ghz wont make a massive difference but it also lacks a FCC for upcoming skype app as i think I would be using that quite a bit when it comes out.

Im not really bothered by Nokia Maps as I already bought Navigon when i had my Omnia 7 so it really comes down to user feedback and this is the reason why im posting here. Would love to hear some positive and negative feedback on people who own the phone already :P

So help please :) :cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I find myself thinking of upgrading from the Omnia 7 also. I've decided to wait a while and see if the Lumia 900 makes an appearance. The bigger screen is something I really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The HTC Titan is just to big for me, I find the screen size of the Lumia 800 is the perfect size for a resolution of 480 x 800. You can hold it and use it with one hand and it just looks fer nicer than the Titan.

If want you want are FFC and a 4.7 inch screen then the titan is for you.

Nokia Drive is much better than Navigon, it's much easier to find places with Nokia Drive.

Oh and did I say the Lumia is much nicer too, especially the Cyan model! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

AntiVirus wrote: »
    The HTC Titan is just to big for me, I find the screen size of the Lumia 800 is the perfect size for a resolution of 480 x 800. You can hold it and use it with one hand and it just looks fer nicer than the Titan.

If want you want are FFC and a 4.7 inch screen then the titan is for you.

Nokia Drive is much better than Navigon, it's much easier to find places with Nokia Drive.

Oh and did I say the Lumia is much nicer too, especially the Cyan model! :D

Yeah see the Lumia 800 is a nicer phone to look at its elegant and that "floating" screen is really cool. But ever since i got my HTC HD2 i didnt think i could go back to a smaller screen. Having said that 4" is something i can live with no problem and is probably the best fit screen size for me. I compared the HTC Sensation to the Titan and the Different isnt that huge. Its only a tiny bit longer, so the phone size isnt the problem :) just the screen size.

I could probably could live without FFC too :)

The other area i was looking at was development. XDA Lumia 800 development forum seems a bit more active than the Titan. I know HD7 forum was the same till DFT released MAGDLR. Development wise Lumia 800 seems a bit more active too for messing around once in a while

The other area i was looking at was development. XDA Lumia 800 development forum seems a bit more active than the Titan. I know HD7 forum was the same till DFT released MAGDLR. Development wise Lumia 800 seems a bit more active too for messing around once in a while

Just recently Justin Angel gave 5 lumia 800's away on xda for 5 of the biggest Windows Phone hackers/developer's to hack, so expect some good stuff soon...

Here's the list.
    Anyway both phone are great!

Yeah ive seen that before and thats one of the main reasons why im scared ill regret to get the Titan cause development might be better over there than the Titan. Though i do expect the DFT team to realease customer bootloader first for HTC phones as usual

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's a tough one imo, they both have a lot to like. I was actually looking at them both in the shops earlier, they were only demo blanks so didn't get to actually try them out though. The Lumia is much nicer looking, feels great in your hand and would be very pocketable. The Titan feels much bigger than I'd like, but in use I think I'd really prefer the larger screen.

If it was me I'd probably wait to see the 900, that could be the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

If the quality of the screen is in any way interesting to you, The Lumia's AMOLED Screen, coupled with its higher PPI make it a clear winner.

DjFlin wrote: »
    If the quality of the screen is in any way interesting to you, The Lumia's AMOLED Screen, coupled with its higher PPI make it a clear winner.

Yeah but the Clear Black Amoled has a PenTile Matrix arrangement so the actual pixel amounts fall shorter than what you would expect.

Im not really worried on the detail on the Titans screen as its meant to have 199 ppi. The screen colour reproduction is quite good too you cant see the pixels unless you have a mangnifying glass out :)

Lumia 800 should have 252.15 ppi . But due to the shared pixels in the colour matrix this falls slightly lower than that. So regarding sharper picture Lumia 800 would be slighlt ahead. But not by a mile :(

Interesting points.

I was just thinking of how great a 325+ PPI Windows Phone would look. A screen of that caliber would be the ultimate compliment to the Metro UI.

Interesting points.

I was just thinking of how great a 325+ PPI Windows Phone would look. A screen of that caliber would be the ultimate compliment to the Metro UI.

Ah 200 ppi is plenty, its a spec sheet thing. People see and compare specs and suddenly jump to conclusion that higher is better.

Smaller resolution means better battery life. Obviously qHD and 720p screens are nice but for ie android their moving a bit too fast. Some app developers dont seem to be able to catch up. Especially with the mast amounts of different resolutions and display ratios.

qHD on my Sensation is nice. But i really cant tell a major difference in how crisp the display is between my old Galaxy S2 and my Sensation.

What I would like to see is Metro in 3D. Now ive played with 3D applications on the HTC Evo 3D and that sort of 3D hurts my eyes. Nintendo 3DS is a bit easier on the eyes but still wouldnt use it full time.

When the day comes with glasses free 3D that doesnt hurt your eyes that will be the day metro will trully come to life with the tiles actually popping out of the screen :) That would be really cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭simi956

I would go with the Titan if you use a phone to do alot of reading/browsing, if always typing then the Lumia 800 being smaller is easier to type faster with the brillant onscreen keyboard WP7 has

Took the plunge and got myself the titan. Oh boy a titan it is ;) awesome phone and I can type properly too now. No crappy keyboard from Android here ;)

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nice choice. I would have went for that. As it was my Omnia W was giving me a lot of problems (slow touch screen) so I just swapped it for the Radar. Spec on the processor isn't quite as good but for day to day usage, not much of a difference, but HTC (vs Samsung at least) have a much better build quality. I've only held a Lumia briefly so don't know how it compares to that but either way, I didn't have a choice of either the Lumia or my preferred choice of a Titan.

chrislad wrote: »
    Nice choice. I would have went for that. As it was my Omnia W was giving me a lot of problems (slow touch screen) so I just swapped it for the Radar. Spec on the processor isn't quite as good but for day to day usage, not much of a difference, but HTC (vs Samsung at least) have a much better build quality. I've only held a Lumia briefly so don't know how it compares to that but either way, I didn't have a choice of either the Lumia or my preferred choice of a Titan.

Well so far I'm happy :) I think this is by far the loudest handset I ever owned :)

It certainly lives up to the name Titan. Bit i have to say 4.7" screen is just pushing it :)

Any larger and feck that it would be way to uncomfortable to hold. The real test will come in during the week when im using it in college the most.

Lumia 800 was alot better to text on than i imagined. The screen isn't too small and I've really forgotten how good wp7 keyboard was. Its just awesome. No more having to press backspace all the time, and I've got back the best in car hands free integration. Vlingo is crap!!!!

Don't get me wrong Lumia 800 is a brilliant phone, well built, gorgeous screen but i just preferred the Titan cause I'll be watching movies and playing games 4+ hours a week on the bus going home.

HTC Watch is pretty good too for 99c movie rentals

Once the Netflix app is out I'd say that would be a must have app for any Titan owners. You would get sucked into your movie's on long journeys :-D

Some people might argue with me. But if you compare the Titans and the Lumia's screen together and compare the text clarity I would give the medal to the Titan. As mentioned before the PenTile matrix isnt doing any favors vs an rgb matrix on the SLCD screen. The colour reproduction is quite a bit ahead on the Lumia 800 though due to Amoled screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Well wear! I think the Titan is too big for me. I like my Trophy sized phone, i just wish HTC released a Radar with 1.5Ghz processor and 16GB plus storage. I hate having to choose a lot less power for the smaller screen.

The lumia has so many issues that i'm turned off it. Might go back to iPhone...

TBi wrote: »
    Well wear! I think the Titan is too big for me. I like my Trophy sized phone, i just wish HTC released a Radar with 1.5Ghz processor and 16GB plus storage. I hate having to choose a lot less power for the smaller screen.

Id agree with that. HTC could have gotten something in between. But the huge screen is one of the main sellings points. As usual the need to stand out.

What about Omnia W? has all the features of the high end phone in a small package?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

what's wrong with it ? My wife has one and I'm sure of there were issues I would've heard all about them by now :D

Id agree with that. HTC could have gotten something in between. But the huge screen is one of the main sellings points. As usual the need to stand out.

What about Omnia W? has all the features of the high end phone in a small package?

Omnia only has 8GB storage, I want at least 16GB. I have 32GB in my Trophy and 20Gb is full!
    what's wrong with it ? My wife has one and I'm sure of there were issues I would've heard all about them by now :D

Audio out has no bass/low quality.
    Battery on some devices is very very low, running out in less than 10 hours.
    Camera quality not as good as N9 (even though it's the same camera).

There are a few more but i don't remember right now.

• Advertisement

How much memory does the Titan have? A lot of manufacturers seem to be cheaping out and going for 8GB. Its crazy to me that 16 is the most offered by any WP7.

Audio out has no bass/low quality.
    Battery on some devices is very very low, running out in less than 10 hours.
    Camera quality not as good as N9 (even though it's the same camera).

There are a few more but i don't remember right now.

I've got a couple of issues with mine, but none of those ones. Mostly minor software issues, like random resets (My Optimus 7 used to do that too when I first got it).

The camera seems great to me, but I've never really used phone cameras before this one.

How much memory does the Titan have?.

16GB, just like the Lumia. The Focus S is the flagship Samsung offering which has 16GB but not sold in Ireland.

I upgraded the Trophy from 8GB to 32GB myself.

Seems as my Titan is suffering from the pink camera hue bug. Had the same problem with my HD7 a year ago.

They never seem to fix stuff :(

Ok so first week with the Titan!!

Have to say first impressions are always good, but you have to make sure they last. So first few days the honey moon started to get foggy sometimes and a few bits and bobs came out that i wasnt entirely happy about.

So maybe ill start with the pro's and stuff i like the most about it :)

Build Quality - Its awesome, i really didnt hold a phone that feels like a Tank in build quality since i had my HD2. Now i had dropped it once and this is due to the back cover coating being a little bit slipper being metal and all so will probably get a Zagg skin later on to solved the grip issue.

Battery life - Even though you would think that a quite a small battery and a large screen would make it hard to keep it lasting a full day, well it does last a day easily. I dont make lots of calls but i have data always on, brightness at 50% and more or less the battery life is wasted for constantly checking twitter and email all the time. Probably 30 mins of gaming puzzle games or an odd need for speed race. Then probably 1-2 hours of music. Around 10-12 pm in the evening power saver kicks in. At that point i try to wear out the battery so I could charge it over night. So easily get 12 hours out of it in my case which is more than enough for most peoples day :)

Camera Quality - FFC could be better but ok for video chat i suppose. Rear Camera quality is really good, coming from HD7 its a massive improvement and not bad, especially in the pictures i took on dark days it still captured quite a good amount of detail :)

Reception - Cant say anything good or bad, its what most phones would have, call quality is average. Nothing above ordinary.

Screen Quality - As said earlier somewhere its extermely good, this SLCD version is quite up to scratch on delivering some extermely nice colours. As said its no Amoled, even though the backlight illumination is less than what it previously was its still visible to me at most times. I started using white theme to make this go away :) Viewwing angles are extremely great so wont have problems watching a video with a friend or sharing picture or whatever your into :)

Performance - Cant complain there, plenty of it. Boots up 2x as fast as my Sensation anyway :) Smootheness and operation is as usually expected = buttery smooth since day 1.

No complaints with the loud speaker either, another great improvement from previous HTC phones. Nice clear and crisp. Very loud too.

OK so the bad book :)

Screen - Pixelation isnt really an issue. If your looking into the battery icon or the clock closely with the Lumia 800 and the Titan side by side you could actually see better clarity on the Titan. The missing pixels on PenTile matrix on the Lumia make it look like grainy newspaper printing on the screen clarity when looking from really close. Though i did find a few websites and games not display text properly and made it look a little bit skew and with some bad pixels. Though bareable :) Guess we gotta wait till WP8 to fix that.

Its no gorrila glass, according to HTC its their own developed tough glass which is apparently shatter proof (well see about that :D ) i didnt do a scratch test just cause of that reason. Hope my Zagg will be here next week.

Camera - Quality is great but I had this problem with my old HD7, It has a pink tint in the middle of every picture you take. Its a software issue. I have a new ROM waiting to debrand my Titan on Sunday and will see if that takes care of it. Another thing that happened i see a little bit of dust from pockets gathering behind the FFC glass which is once again annoying.

Performance - As said performance is great, but HTC has made this SRS Enchancment app which screws up performance if your playing music or video. So after digging on XDA General forums I found it actually decreases performance quite badly, made song switching slower for me, an odd freeze for a sec when playing graphical intensive games. So i switched it off and it fixed it. Not a huge issue.

Conclusion

Definetly deserves the name Windows Phone 7 Flagship. Screen and build quality is probably one of the main reasons you would buy the Titan. In the end im really happy with it, havent been that happy since my HD2 probably. Though in the end I wish HTC would have prepped something in the middle between the Radar and the Titan in terms of phone size. While i got quite big hands and no problem holding it or texting one hand. Its at the edge of how much i can hold. Any bigger than that and i would be very uncomfortable holding it. Though if im in bed or on the couch reading stuff for long periods my palm does get some from holding it.

In the end it gets thumbs up for me :)

Any questions feel free to ask

Advertisement