Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPA Query

Options
  • 09-02-2012 7:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭

Arts student here.
    Quick question.
    I have 110 credits and a 2.46 GPA

A 2:2 is 2:48

My final two modules to complete my degree are currently NG.

Assuming I pass them on the repeat and get the 2.0 for both....will this be enough to bump me up to a 2:2?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Arts student here.
    Quick question.

Assuming I pass them on the repeat and get the 2.0 for both....will this be enough to bump me up to a 2:2?

thanks

I have done nothing mathematical at all for years plus haven't slept but I *think* you'll end up with 2.626 (2.63?) if you do get the 2.0 in the NG modules.

The 2.46 is an average of the scores for 24 modules (though there are only 22 with value)
    2.46 * 24 = 59.04
    add the two o/s grades of 2.0: 59.04 + 4.0 = 63.04
    divide that by 24 to get new average leaves you with 2.626

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Ah lovely, that seems right, because I had been up around that mark before this results was published. Thanks littlefriend, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Lads, I mean honestly... you're in a university. If his average is below a second class honours grade 2 and he gets two 2.0s it's fairly obvious that his average will decrease.

This place has gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

meathawk wrote: »
    Lads, I mean honestly... you're in a university. If his average is below a second class honours grade 2 and he gets two 2.0s it's fairly obvious that his average will decrease.

Eh...no.

An NG has a GPA value of 0. If two 0's go to a 2, then yes the average will increase.

Littlefriends Maths is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

He doesn't even go here! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

DERP DERP DERP DERP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I have done nothing mathematical at all for years plus haven't slept but I *think* you'll end up with 2.626 (2.63?) if you do get the 2.0 in the NG modules.

The 2.46 is an average of the scores for 24 modules (though there are only 22 with value)
    2.46 * 24 = 59.04
    add the two o/s grades of 2.0: 59.04 + 4.0 = 63.04
    divide that by 24 to get new average leaves you with 2.626

No, the current GPA is out of 110 credits not 120 like you're saying, failed modules aren't added into the GPA because you haven't gained the credit yet.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

Bottom of page 3.
    Arts student here.
    Quick question.

thanks

If you're current GPA is out of 110 credits and is below a 2.2 and the two modules you're adding into that GPA are below a 2.2, they're not going to move it up.

Meat hawk is right. It's kinda obvious I would've thought.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    No, the current GPA is out of 110 credits not 120 like you're saying, failed modules aren't added into the GPA because you haven't gained the credit yet.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

Bottom of page 3.

If you're current GPA is out of 110 credits and is below a 2.2 and the two modules you're adding into that GPA are below a 2.2, they're not going to move it up.

Meat hawk is right. It's kinda obvious I would've thought.

Not sure what you are directing towards on the bottom of page 3 other than an NG scores 0. It doesn't say that getting an NG means the module score won't be used in GPA calculation which seems to be the point you were making.

Meathawk is right if his current GPA is out of 110 credits but not 120. It being out of 110 makes no sense to me - that means there is no penalty there for the NG's. Also, if that is the case then passing the modules will lower his GPA.
    Have I gone mad thinking this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

From http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/asug/assessmentgradingandexaminers/asugtitle,39256,en.html
    Semester GPA. The Semester GPA is calculated at the end of every semester and includes all modules that were attempted during that semester, including electives, failed modules and extra credit modules . It is calculated by multiplying the grade point value of each module attempted in the semester by the credit value of the module, summing the resultant values and dividing by the total number of credits for the semester.
    (General Regulation 5.15)

Stage GPA. The Stage GPA is calculated when all of the modules from an approved programme of study for that stage have been completed and passed. The Stage GPA includes all modules, including electives, that are taken as part of the stage, including the final grades of any modules that are repeated and passed during a second attempt. It does not include extra credit modules or failed modules—students with failed modules cannot complete a stage. The Stage GPA is calculated by multiplying the grade point value for each module by the number of credits assigned for the module, summing the resultant values, and dividing by the total number of credits for the stage (as indicated in the table below for a 60-credit stage).
    (General Regulation 5.15.2)

So if it is the Stage GPA you are working off Meathawk is right. If you want to double check it work out your current GPA manually and see if it is for the entire 120 credits or just the 110 credits you have.

Not sure what you are directing towards on the bottom of page 3 other than an NG scores 0. It doesn't say that getting an NG means the module score won't be used in GPA calculation which seems to be the point you were making.

Meathawk is right if his current GPA is out of 110 credits but not 120. It being out of 110 makes no sense to me - that means there is no penalty there for the NG's. Also, if that is the case then passing the modules will lower his GPA.
    Have I gone mad thinking this?

The chart at the bottom of page three shows that an NG is not awarded credits, and credits you have yet to be awarded are not included in your GPA.

There is a penalty for an NG - you don't get the credits so can't continue/graduate :)

• Advertisement

I stand corrected :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I stand corrected :o:)

Ooops. It would help if I read the post.

If its any consolation, if the current GPA was out of the 120 credits we would be right?

misslt wrote: »
    Ooops. It would help if I read the post.

If its any consolation, if the current GPA was out of the 120 credits we would be right?

Yup!

Advertisement