Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flea / worm treatment

• 09-02-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Brought the doggy to the vet the other day to get his yearly vaccinations that cost €51 (which I am told is pretty expensive) and i also wanted to buy his flea / worming treatment, this worked out at €35 for the Advocate spot on solution (its a 2 in 1 given once a month)
    just wanted to know if €35 is expensive? if so, can i get this in a pet shop? i looked on zooplus but couldnt see anything. it not that i mind paying for it at all but i just figure if i can get it cheaper elsewhere, i may as well...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Sometimes it works out better to get them on a UK site:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/

http://www.medicanimal.com/ I have used this one the most

www.petdrugsonline.co.uk

http://viovet.co.uk/

http://www.nutrecare.co.uk/

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/ in A&P bargain alerts sticky at top of page: 10% off - code FEB10 - ends tomorrow I think.

EDIT: with something like Adovcate you need a perscription (I think) which you can get from your vet & send to the online store. Or you can get Frontline tabs for the fleas & Drontal Plus tablets for the worms. In my vets, a nurse there said its better to give them seperately, like Frontline & Drontal, than in one spot-on treatment like Adovcate - I don't know for sure, people may have different views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have bought of www.zooplus.fr for flea treatments, use google chrome and translate! You can get frontline combo and advantix there without persrciption however I mostly use www.nutrecare.co.uk and buy Cestem Xl wormers as my vet told me they are exactly the same as drontal but much cheaper! €35 is a rip off! My friend goes to vets on charlemont street and they only charge €12 for big size stronghold which I think is same as advocate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

timshel. wrote: »
    i also wanted to buy his flea / worming treatment, this worked out at €35 for the Advocate spot on solution (its a 2 in 1 given once a month)

Just wondering how many tabs were in the Advocate you got - 3 or 6? And what size dog do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

usually stronghold will do fleas ticks and worms for 3 months for about €30, great stuff imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Y; my jury is lost in this one . I bought flea & tick spot on stuff from my vet & it cost about e30. I went to another vets & it cost e12 but did the samejob. I subsequently went to another vets later & bought a different spot on f&t treatment ( same job again) & it cost e8!!! I double checked & it was for the right weight & size so I guess I'm just confused now!!! My normal " treatment" vet queried me as to why I hadn't treated my dog& I told him abjuring prices & that i got it over the counter atankther vets for e8 or e12 & he was shocked but that's life!! Must do pack comparison later !!!

• Advertisement

Y; my jury is lost in this one . I bought flea & tick spot on stuff from my vet & it cost about e30. I went to another vets & it cost e12 but did the samejob. I subsequently went to another vets later & bought a different spot on f&t treatment ( same job again) & it cost e8!!! I double checked & it was for the right weight & size so I guess I'm just confused now!!! My normal " treatment" vet queried me as to why I hadn't treated my dog& I told him abjuring prices & that i got it over the counter atankther vets for e8 or e12 & he was shocked but that's life!! Must do pack comparison later !!!

I know what you mean my vet just accepts that I don't buy wormers or flea treatments off him! To worm four labs with him €64 as they need 2 tablets each so I bought Cestem Xl online €12 for all four including delivery as they only need one tablet! Same goes for flea treatments!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I get medium sized Stronghold for €8 in my local Chemist, its €12 in the vet, so might be worth checking the Chemist if they have a pet section.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

How often should a dog be treated for fleas and wormed? My 8 month old samoyed had her shots and was treated for fleas and worms, when last at the vet in October. They said the would send me a text to remind when she needed to be dosed again, but I haven't heard from them? Also have a 3 year ols boxer cross who was treated 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I treat my dog every 3 months but every month during the summer.

slookie wrote: »
    How often should a dog be treated for fleas and wormed? My 8 month old samoyed had her shots and was treated for fleas and worms, when last at the vet in October. They said the would send me a text to remind when she needed to be dosed again, but I haven't heard from them? Also have a 3 year ols boxer cross who was treated 3 months ago.

I worm every 3 months, used to flea every month but now probably every 3 months! My dogs live in the city and are probably at a very low risk of catching anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Ok thanks for the replies. Also, what is the best product for treatment of both fleas and worms? And by best, I mean the cheapest that will work effectively! Handiest to get it in the chemist I guess?

Advertisement