Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying soon...

• 09-02-2012 9:02pm

Hi All,

Have recently sold the car and will be getting back into biking mainly for commuting and a bit of day-touring at the weekends. I'm looking at the likes of middleweights like Versys, V-Strom or possibly an ER6.

I'll be buying new and I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with getting deals from the likes of Bikeworld / Megabikes / Tallaght Superbikes. Do the dealers generally give you a bit of money off the bike or give you some free gear? I've never bought new before so I'm very green in this area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Haggle like a fother mucker for all you can get. I got a helmet , jacket and gloves with me first bike. The second bike was only a hundred off because I just wanted to hand over the money and tare out the road as soon as I could so I didn't bother haggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Bikeworld are hard to haggle with. They generally offer to throw in a free lid, usually the cheapest one in stock. I've never been able to push beyond that. But if you can bring a long some ugly, scary looking, hell's angel type mates, they might be more accommodating.

But..to be fair, I haven't bought anything from them in quite some time, so maybe they've changed.

It's much easier to get things like free servicing for x number of months, or a few accessories like heated grips etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

accessories like heated grips etc.

What makes you think the op is ghey?

seanybiker wrote: »
    What makes you think the op is ghey?

:D Got a LOL out of that one!. Thanks for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i know it's not the same as a bike, but i bought a new aria rx7-gp from megabikes, and i got genuine dark visor for cost price, they fit two pinlock visors (one on each visor) free of charge and gave me a shoei nose guard free aswell.
    over 10% back in extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Identify the bike you want and ask for the best cash price. When you hear it, suck air through your teeth and quote a ficticious price for a new Honda from some dealer in the midlands - "but MickBikes in Tullamore have new Hornets for six-eight-eleventy". Shake your head and ask if there is anything beter they can do. If not, either shake their hand or walk away.

My advice would be buy a really low mileage one year-old one but no-one ever takes my advice...

'cptr

My advice would be buy a really low mileage one year-old one but no-one ever takes my advice...

'cptr

I would take that advice. I haven't seen that many low mileage bikes though, especially ones I like the look & sound of.

baz8080 wrote: »
    I would take that advice. I haven't seen that many low mileage bikes though, especially ones I like the look & sound of.

If you are looking at new Versys/ER-6/Vstrom there are lots of models to choose from. How low a mileage are you looking for? This one represents unbelievable value and it only took me six seconds to find it.

'c

Ideally I'd like to get a 2011 if I'm not buying new. I did see that ER and it looks quite clean, might come back to have a look at it based on how I get on with the bike shopping in the morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you are looking at new Versys/ER-6/Vstrom there are lots of models to choose from. How low a mileage are you looking for? This one represents unbelievable value and it only took me six seconds to find it.

'c
    Bloody Hell that's nice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Went to a few shops today and then went back to Tallaght Superbikes for a test ride on a mint 08 GSR600, loved it. Deposit is down and I'll be picking her up during the coming week when I get my insurance and stuff sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nice bikes. Was tempted to get one myself. Good luck out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Best of luck with the new bike. What colour is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Nice bike! Well wear and safe motoring!

DN_2112012141052741.jpg

This one? Nice bike. Shiny side up now!!

'cptr

That's her! Was surprised how spotless it was, previous owner must have doted on it. Has a good few extras: meta alarm, aftermarket cans, bobbins, heated grips, flyscreen, back box and braided hoses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's her! Was surprised how spotless it was, previous owner must have doted on it. Has a good few extras: meta alarm, aftermarket cans, bobbins, heated grips, flyscreen, back box and braided hoses.

Yum, lovely... !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Magown3

The TALLEST back box in the WORLD! :D

It certainly is the tallest back box :) Going to be picking her up tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Picked her up yesterday, was quite nervous on the way back home but I'm delighted with her. I had ordered a scottoiler and I was looking forward to installing that today, one issue though.

As I was parking the wife's cage beside my bike I noticed some cable ties on my swingarm. I knew there was probably only one reason why they would be there and sure enough, it turns out I already have a scottoiler! D'Oh!

Advertisement