Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small plantation ???

Options
  • 09-02-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭

hi. ive been toying with the idea of planting a few acres with trees . ive heard willow isnt worth it unless its at least 5 hectares and have road access, wich i dont . is it feasible to plant 1 hectare of willow and cut it myself and transport to roadside for collection ?? also there is no grant/aid scheme i know of for this so is there a crop that is grant aided . what for? its boggy ground im thinking of planting . any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Hi there,

You need to decide what the 'end product' is that you want to produce,
    Everyone has different reasons and requirments from planting,
    Boggy ground can mean anything from wet to actual bog/turf, and may only need drainage or mounding.
    There are grants for forestry and these depend on herd numbers, use & type of ground and farmer v non farmer for species and premiums.

I suggest you contact one of the many management companys for a free consultation on site.

Willow is something I know little about but i think would be very labour intensive without the propper machinery, look at it on utube. It also requires feed/slurry i think.

Have you thought about a coppice for self-sufficiency in firewood in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

i dont think willow would suit me but im at a lost as what would . who are the people i should talk to . teagasc ? coilte?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

cjmc wrote: »
    ive heard willow isnt worth it unless its at least 5 hectares and have road access, wich i dont . is it feasible to plant 1 hectare of willow and cut it myself and transport to roadside for collection ?? also there is no grant/aid scheme i know of for this so is there a crop that is grant aided .

call out a registered forester from this list

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/docs/financial_info/Register_Foresters_060212.pdf

there is a grant for willow which covers half the costs. however planting 1 hectare and hoping to drop it at roadside is a crazy idea unless you want to lose money. plant under the afforestation grant scheme if you can at all, a forester will advise you of this after looking at the land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Hi there,

You need to decide what the 'end product' is that you want to produce,

i really would advise against deciding what end products you want before you figure out what will actually grow...theres no point in saying you want hurley butts or furniture lengths of oak if all you can plant is spruce birch or alder for example.......cart before the horse and all that

• Advertisement
Advertisement