Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolution [NBC - US] [* Spoilers *]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Enjoyed that seems like it has some legs on it and id really love to see a new sci fi show get past the first season
    It was incredibly obvious, to me anyway, that the monroe guy was the friend from the car and they kind of gave it away when the brother said "he thinks my brother told me why the lights went out". I dunno maybe its just im one of the Lost generation of viewers but showrunners need to try a bit harder at twists these days imo
    The bit at the end however i did not see coming, a localised wireless power source? pretty cool and the idea that theres a secret network going on will hopefully make this alot more interesting as up until that point i couldnt really see how far they could take it apart from making it a constant fugitive series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Daaaaamn! The daughter looks like a Victoria's Secrets model.
    Quite enjoyed the pilot, and can't wait to see how it progresses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tell me this much: Is there any indication - at all - that there will be a reasonable explanation as to why electricity no longer works? That would explain why the universe doesn't begin to collapse? Because it's one fundamental hurdle I'm finding it difficult to even begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

agreed; the show looks like it might have potential, and as a Dr. Who fan I should be more than capable of accepting bullplop science, but the premise of this is so outrageously stupid & illogical it's simply just too large to ignore

pixelburp wrote: »
    agreed; the show looks like it might have potential, and as a Dr. Who fan I should be more than capable of accepting bullplop science, but the premise of this is so outrageously stupid & illogical it's simply just too large to ignore
    Indeed. I can accept "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" - the difference is that this reversal isn't the premise of the show itself. Accepting this "electricity doesn't work" is important because it's central to the show whereas the Doctor's utter nonsense at times is merely a means to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

to take a shot in the dark, maybe it could be some sort of solar event that fried all the hardware and left residual effects not allowing them to be restored, maybe that device emits some kind of reversing effects to whats happened, and maybe the people that are communicating with each other are at some kind of lab trying to mass produce the reversal effect of what happened so that everyone will get power back at once,

i cant see whats after happening being a man made event, it has to be some kind of natural event, as yerman said physics was turned on its head, maybe select people were privy to what was about to happen and given a way to communicate with each other, so they could find a solution,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bleh.... mix of Terra Nova and The Hunger Games, and American TV studios need to stop this fascination with post-apocalyptic world's.

And considering it was directed by Jon Favreau - it all felt a tad lifeless. Not one interesting character in the bunch either - not even Fring could save it! :(

Will keep watching a few more, but yeah... if this was one of the better pilots of the year, we're in for a poor season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I liked it anyway! The physics aspect of it is slightly annoying but I'm hoping they come up with something that's not too crazy, solar flare/EMP is all I can think of. Some electrical stuff works anyway with the help of that magic locket thing.

Found this pretty accurate review on Reddit
    First of all the second this show begins the dad walks in and is all like, "omg apocalypse!" 30 seconds later without any kind of suspense or buildup and the world goes to hell. Of course we barely see any of that.

Then about 5 minutes later were on a farm and theres no setup there either except some kid having an asthma attack and the Los Pollos Hermanos guy from Breaking Bad shows up and some stuff happens and suddenly the show turns into the Lord of the ****ing Rings and they set off to Chicago which is apparently a 5 mile walk and every suburb for 50 miles has turned into cleared grassland or forest in 15 years time.

So they show up in Fallout Chicago where theres about 20 people left which I guess helps because the 1st person they talk to just happens to be the one guy they were looking for and he is a ninja because he was in the marines or something and all marines are master swordsmen.

Then some black nurse lady has a Pentium 4 running DOS and a lightbulb that gets its power from a magic medallion.")

The End. 2/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What bothered me was that people barely remember Google after 15 years, yet a "Charmin" reference made perfect sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sounds an interesting plot, and given the Supernatural TV links hope it reaches here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

120904112906802305.jpg

It appears as sort of a cross between The Walking Dead and The Event.
    I suspect the dead mother is not really dead and will appear later!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

NBC’s Revolution drama, now viewable online but officially premiering Sept. 17, has recruited Grey’s Anatomy alum Kim Raver for a juicy recurring role.

Details on Raver’s character are being kept under lock and key, but sources confirm that the part is a pivotal one.

http://tvline.com/2012/09/05/revolution-casts-kim-raver/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I don't know about the laws of physics being thrown into turmoil, but the mass-produced clothing seems to be doing well 15 years after the far-eastern sweat-shops ground to a halt.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't know about the laws of physics being thrown into turmoil, but the mass-produced clothing seems to be doing well 15 years after the far-eastern sweat-shops ground to a halt.

That is exactly what i thought, especially google guys AC/DC shirt which im guessing is worn every day and there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect between the linen the militia have adopted and everyone elses modern slightly mucky yet oddly not completely worn through clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll keep watching anyway.
    My points/questions would be
    1. As said above how are all their clothes like new?
    2. Why is everywhere flooded?
    3. Where did Monroe get the ice?
    4. How does a power outage affect a combustion engine? If anything, the classic cars with no main electrical components should still work.
    5. Can you earn 8 million just working at Google?
    6. What killed the guy at the back of the plane, since wasn't it only the guy beside the woman that drank?
    7. How does she know her skills?
    8. How long until Charlie's mum shows up?
    9. Is it me or does Charlie look like an older Chloe Moretz?

Was expecting more episodes being used to get to Chicago and then another few trying to find the uncle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was really hoping for something as well put together as Lost but this already seems to be cut from the same cloth as a lot of recently failed series. I'll keep watching though as there isn't much else on this Autumn/Winter that I'm interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Another flippin trailer :rolleyes: i feel like i've seen the pilot already, they keep rehashing the same bloody footage! :rolleyes:

This trailer pretty much gave away the whole pilot (40 minutes condensed into a nice 2-3 minute summary of the whole episode).

I really didn't need to watch it.

I enjoyed it for what it was, though. I'm a big fan of Kripke's work, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'll keep watching anyway.
    My points/questions would be
    1. As said above how are all their clothes like new?
    2. Why is everywhere flooded?
    3. Where did Monroe get the ice?
    4. How does a power outage affect a combustion engine? If anything, the classic cars with no main electrical components should still work.
    5. Can you earn 8 million just working at Google?
    6. What killed the guy at the back of the plane, since wasn't it only the guy beside the woman that drank?
    7. How does she know her skills?
    8. How long until Charlie's mum shows up?
    9. Is it me or does Charlie look like an older Chloe Moretz?

Was expecting more episodes being used to get to Chicago and then another few trying to find the uncle
    1. could be explained that people scavaged clothes for years after the blackout, if i walked into a shop after an event like this, id grab as much stuff as possible, that plus trading and whatnot,
    2.many rivers have dams and levies to redirect water flows, so they either build dams or protect a city (new orleans),
    3.Before refrigeration the only source of ice was natural ice. Ice would be harvested in the winter from frozen rivers in cold climates and then stored in large quantities in insulated underground icehouses.
    4. how do you pump the fuel into the engine without a pump, sure it could be done but it would not be easy, maybe we might see steam trains at some point, but most cars would need some form of electricity to either start them or pump something around the engine,
    5. he actually had 80 million, and yeah plenty of people made millions in google/apple/microsoft/samsung/exxon mobile etc etc, he probably had most of it in shares, plus it called character development, it means theyll develop his character over time,
    6.no go watch it again
    7. shes a doctor living in a world like that, reading up on poisons would be essential i would say,
    8. no one knows, watch the show and find out,
    9. may be so, well have to wait for chloe to get to that age,

Interesting show. A lot of it reminded me of Jericho;
    especially the segment at the end, where she was talking with people on the computer
    I'll keep watching any way and see how things progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep...Jericho was all I could think of the whole way through it. Got bored though after 20 mins...stuck with it but doubt I will bother with it initially.
    Will wait a few months before bothering with it as I expect it to be canned by then anyway.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there another series (cancelled of course) where an EMP had the power zapped?:confused:

It happened in Jericho, as far as I can remember. Something sends up an EMP blast and disables anything electrical.

It happened in Jericho, as far as I can remember. Something sends up an EMP blast and disables anything electrical.

I never actually watched that one for some reason, but I'm sure there was another one that I did see where an EMP was used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never actually watched that one for some reason, but I'm sure there was another one that I did see where an EMP was used.

Dark Angel had that plot

If you want to see this kind of show done right, check out Jericho.

Here's a list of electromagnetic pulses used in TV shows, according to Wikipedia. Could it possibly have been Dark Angel?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Dark Angel had that plot

Here's a list of electromagnetic pulses used in TV shows, according to Wikipedia. Could it possibly have been Dark Angel?

I know they had one in Dark Angel, but I'm not getting a flash of light for whatever's locked in the dark recesses of my mind.:(

Ugh, I thought 'Jericho' was very mediocre. If 'Revolution' is considered not even as good as that...

it wasn't Jericho anyway, in Jericho the U.S was attacked with multiple nuclear missiles and then the town had to survive on its own afterwards,

i didn't get a Jericho vibe off this at all, Jericho was immediately after the attack and how the town is dealing with the after effects, whereas revolution has jumped 15 years after everything has happened, so we have to find out what happened and how things have changed, and well get to see that through charlie mainly, and whats gonna happen now, jericho was centered on the one town as was terra nova, whereas revolution seems to be based on a much larger scale,

the show is called revolution so obviously there kinda has to be one, i can see the power coming back on maybe mid-season or the end of the season and then the revolution will start,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Surprised no one mentioned the planes that turned into flying bricks when the electrics went out....and by flying bricks I mean things that fall straight down really fast. So it looks like the event changed the physics of aerodynamics too as well as electricity. None of the planes glided down.

The writers obviously don't know biology either. No electricity=dead body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Calibos wrote: »
    Surprised no one mentioned the planes that turned into flying bricks when the electrics went out....and by flying bricks I mean things that fall straight down really fast. So it looks like the event changed the physics of aerodynamics too as well as electricity. None of the planes glided down.

Well no electricity means no electromagnetism, which means no electrons bound by atomic nuclei, which means no chemical bonds, which means no molecules. No electrons also means no electromagnetic radiation, which means no light, no thermal radiation, no heat from the sun. This is the most stupid sci-fi plot idea since "the neutrinos have mutated!".

• Advertisement

There is electricity though, because she was able to generate an electrical force at the end of the episode, to power the computer. It's likely that there was some form of massive EMP blast that fried everything?

Also how can anyone say Jericho was mediocre? FOR SHAME! :pac:

There is electricity though, because she was able to generate an electrical force at the end of the episode, to power the computer. It's likely that there was some form of massive EMP blast that fried everything?
    the device has to be a wireless energy source, cause thinking about it, if it reversed the effects of whatever caused the blackout there wouldn't be any functioning power source to run the computer, so the device has to be a power source,

Calibos wrote: »

sink wrote: »
    Well no electricity means no electromagnetism, which means no electrons bound by atomic nuclei, which means no chemical bonds, which means no molecules. No electrons also means no electromagnetic radiation, which means no light, no thermal radiation, no heat from the sun. This is the most stupid sci-fi plot idea since "the neutrinos have mutated!".

quantum physicists/mechanics, biologists, chemist, doctors, brain surgeons, electricians, astrophysicists, experimental/applied physicists, and plumbers need not watch :p:D:D:D:D

I think there will be a search for a movable island where, buried in a subterranean complex, there is a big fuse-box with one big fuse in it, which when replaced, will bring the world back to life again.

Lads...look, i haven't watched the pilot....BUT, jaysus!.....you have to ACCEPT the bleedin' premise ffs! :rolleyes:

Lads...look, i haven't watched the pilot....BUT, jaysus!.....you have to ACCEPT the bleedin' premise ffs! :rolleyes:

It's not always acceptable to accept the bleedin' premise.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

don ramo wrote: »
    quantum physicists/mechanics, biologists, chemist, doctors, brain surgeons, electricians, astrophysicists, experimental/applied physicists, and plumbers need not watch :p:D:D:D:D

Or anyone who has done secondary school physics / biology. Or has an inquisitive mind. Or has access to the Internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well not really; if you're making a drama ostensibly set in our real-world, you can't just make sh*t up because it sounded dramatic in the elevator pitch, especially if it flies in the face of even the most cursory of scientific knowledge. The premise makes no (common) sense, machines don't simply stop working because you want them to, especially the ones that don't actually need electricty, like combustion engines.

In any case, I watched the episode and it's completely interchangeable with every other 'event' driven show released since Lost; the premise is stupid, thoughtless & lazy, and it doesn't help that the story itself is fairly bland. I'm a bit sick of the obsession with these single-sentence 'event' shows, that are all mystery to grab the viewer, but with absolutely no sense of planning or common sense.

syklops wrote: »
    Or anyone who has done secondary school physics / biology. Or has an inquisitive mind. Or has access to the Internet.

One thing i don't buy....that cities would look like forests after 15 years. After the movie I Am Legend i saw a program on Discory that it would take 50 years or more to see that kind of forestation within cities.

• Advertisement

Yeah the sudden forestation (and flooding) of the cities was equally baffling: to be honest the whole thing stunk of committee-TV, it was all very generic & cookie-cutter. The magic pendant of power is not a legitimate hook to keep anyone watching, and is as nonsensical as the rest of the premise. The conflicts between characters themselves are weak & uninteresting, and the fact much of the cast look like slightly scruffy GAP models doesn't help the feeling that it's all very much by rote.

Well not really; if you're making a drama ostensibly set in our real-world, you can't just make sh*t up because it sounded dramatic in the elevator pitch, especially if it flies in the face of even the most cursory of scientific knowledge. The premise makes no (common) sense, machines don't simply stop working because you want them to, especially the ones that don't actually need electricty, like combustion engines.

In any case, I watched the episode and it's completely interchangeable with every other 'event' driven show released since Lost; the premise is stupid, thoughtless & lazy, and it doesn't help that the story itself is fairly bland. I'm a bit sick of the obsession with these single-sentence 'event' shows, that are all mystery to grab the viewer, but with absolutely no sense of planning or common sense.

So...Flash Forward then? ;)

Yeah the sudden forestation (and flooding) of the cities was equally baffling: to be honest the whole thing stunk of committee-TV, it was all very generic & cookie-cutter. The magic pendant of power is not a legitimate hook to keep anyone watching, and is as nonsensical as the rest of the premise. The conflicts between characters themselves are weak & uninteresting, and the fact much of the cast look like slightly scruffy GAP models doesn't help the feeling that it's all very much by rote.

^ pretty much why i'm passing on the show, as you said it's like every other event/genre show since lost....and they all failed, i expect this will too!

Watched it the other night. I suppose I should spoiler this.
    I said to herself, "I can accept that electricity no longer 'works', but why would combustion engines stop working, they are just mechanical. At worst they should be back to the 1920's not the 1820's". She said: "Maybe we will find out". I said, "Its JJ Abrams, we will never find out".

Then it occurred to me. If the combustion engine doesnt work, why do guns still work?

Then, just as your getting used to the premise of no electricty, of it not "working", we meet a woman who has a computer, and has electricity, and has internet access. :confused: . Well done JJ. You couldn't even keep it going for one episode.

When they met the uncle and it turned into a swashbuckling, sword fighting action series, I thought it felt more like a teenagers after school show. Not prime time programming. Dexter is starting in three weeks, Homeland will back back soon. I think this will be forgotten soon.

I dont really get the anger people have of stuff not being properly explained in the pilot. Its just the pilot and its a JJ Abrams show people should be used to this, maybe give it a couple of episodes before you write it of completely?

VinLieger wrote: »
    I dont really get the anger people have of stuff not being properly explained in the pilot. Its just the pilot and its a JJ Abrams show people should be used to this, maybe give it a couple of episodes before you write it of completely?

Maybe because we watched this thing called Lost for 6 years only to find nothing that was promised would be explained was, and we are wary about being bitten again. Fool me once etc.

• Advertisement

did everyone read an article on combustion engines before watching this show or something:confused::confused:, even if they use combustion engines, how are they gonna keep them running, they might have a few around but somehow i would say 99.9% of people still around after 15 years of no electricity are not gonna have cars,

people just forgot about cars and other ****, its not like everyone said lets get into the mines and dig up some ore and get that coal mine running again so we can be lazy bastards and drive everywhere like we used to, no doubt someone somewhere is running a salve labor mine, only a matter of time before we come across one,

society broke down, which means people stopped working for the greater good, America has been divided up between warlords who now run things,

they dont meet every second tuesday to see how each of them are getting on, its more likely if they see a stranger they shoot on sight,

Maybe because we watched this thing called Lost for 6 years only to find nothing that was promised would be explained was, and we are wary about being bitten again. Fool me once etc.
    but lost wasn't a JJ shows, he helped create it but he left early in season 1 and only had very sporadic involvement with it, lost was made by carlton cuse and damon lindelof

JJ Abrams had more major involvement with shows like Fringe, Alias and Person of Interest

don ramo wrote: »
    did everyone read an article on combustion engines before watching this show or something,

A combustion engine is not exactly a difficult piece of machinery. I learnt how one worked when I was about 10, I don't need a refresher course in how it works. I don't think its unreasonable to wonder why don't they use any in their day to day lives. Especially since we see abandoned cars dotting the countryside.
    but lost wasn't a JJ shows, he helped create it but he left early in season 1 and only had very sporadic involvement with it
    He created it. He has form for starting things and not finishing them. This is the same guy who created a monster movie but didnt show the monster.

A combustion engine is not exactly a difficult piece of machinery. I learnt how one worked when I was about 10, I don't need a refresher course in how it works. I don't think its unreasonable to wonder why don't they use any in their day to day lives. Especially since we see abandoned cars dotting the countryside.

He created it. He has form for starting things and not finishing them. This is the same guy who created a monster movie but didnt show the monster.

You do realize that J J Abrahms didn't direct Cloverfield, right? He produced it. There's a big difference between the two.

As for not finishing.. he had been heavily involved in Fringe, which is due to finish up soon. It's not his fault that Lost went on for as long as it did; he started it, but handed it over.

You do realize that J J Abrahms didn't direct Cloverfield, right? He produced it. There's a big difference between the two.

As for not finishing.. he had been heavily involved in Fringe, which is due to finish up soon. It's not his fault that Lost went on for as long as it did; he started it, but handed it over.

Fair enough. However the question posed was, why are some of us so cautious regarding this show, and my answer is because we have to dispel our knowledge of physics for the premise of the show to work, and my point is, the last time I have had to dispel such fundamental beliefs, I got badly let down.

As I have said, I can get my head around a situation where electricity does not work, but you would then expect a dystopian world similar to the mad max movies, where cars and engines are still there, just nothing electrical / digital. In Revolution, they seem to have gone back over 100 years and in the pilot at least there is no explanation as to why.

• Advertisement
Advertisement