Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolution [NBC - US] [* Spoilers *]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

syklops wrote: »
    A combustion engine is not exactly a difficult piece of machinery. I learnt how one worked when I was about 10, I don't need a refresher course in how it works. I don't think its unreasonable to wonder why don't they use any in their day to day lives. Especially since we see abandoned cars dotting the countryside.

He created it. He has form for starting things and not finishing them. This is the same guy who created a monster movie but didnt show the monster.
    yeah there are loads of cars all over over the place, modern ones, you know that require electricity to start them and electricity to pump the fuel from the tank to the engine, and electricity to make the lights work, you would need to use a steam engine, so you need coal to burn and you would need methods to refine iron ore to build the engine, its not impossible, it just requires a lot of effort, and intercommunication, which as i already said it not being done,

in this scenario the people didnt pick themselves up and stick together, they gave up and went their separate ways, its gonna take more than 15 years to rebuild a civilization, ever hear of the dark ages, it took nearly 1000 years before we got our act together and started acting like civilized people again, there were clusters of society but they didnt interact they stayed in their groups, so we had nearly 1000 years of just standing still,

and JJ co-created lost, and then left, i hate when people call Lost a JJ Abrams show, its not a JJ Abrams show, this is fact, he helped conceive it and then left,

and heres the cloverfield monster
    CloverfieldMonster.jpg:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the Amish are the ones responsible for screwing the electricity, and we'll probably see them riding in their buggies looking smug at some time in one of the episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Re; comubstion engine....i'm no expert, but don't cars need a electric spark to ignite the engine....if you can't generate any electricity how can it work?

Cars from the 1920-50's....how many are left?. 99% of all modern cars use electronics....so........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Re; comubstion engine....i'm no expert, but don't cars need a electric spark to ignite the engine....if you can't generate any electricity how can it work?

Cars from the 1920-50's....how many are left?. 99% of all modern cars use electronics....so........?

Modern cars use a spark to ignite the combustion. They don't 'need' a spark. They just need a source of combustion. It can be done without spark plugs. Might take a bit of tinkering, but its not impossible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

We need a steam punk world then! Or maybe it affects the entire laws of thermodynamics! I mean why not - it'd make as much sense!

What about trains?.....surely there are coal and steam powered locos still about...?

Modern cars use a spark to ignite the combustion. They don't 'need' a spark. They just need a source of combustion. It can be done without spark plugs. Might take a bit of tinkering, but its not impossible.
    and how do you plan on running it, attach a 5 gallon tank above the engine, cause you have no fuel pump, then youll get by for a while but once you run out of petrol your kinda screwed, you could switch to an alternative fuel source, but thatll only last so long also, then you cant drive at night cause you have no lights, then youll need new tyres, and oil filters,

TBH i do expect to see a steam train at some point, i will be disappointing if i dont, in order for the militia to have a big hold over the people they would need to have the ability to get to certain points in their territory fast,

Im giving up on this thread. I can't defend physics, engineering, mechanics and just plain innovation In a universe where its possible for electricity to 'stop working' somehow, and for people to just accept it.

I'll watch a few more episodes and if there is something worth discussing I'll be back.

Im giving up on this thread. I can't defend physics, engineering, mechanics and just plain innovation In a universe where its possible for electricity to 'stop working' somehow, and for people to just accept it.

I'll watch a few more episodes and if there is something worth discussing I'll be back.
    i just want to know how you can get a modern internal combustion engine to work without electricity, that is a billion euro idea,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

We're all going to look very foolish when the writers come up with an amazing explanation to why the blackout happened (In 10 years and 8 seasons from now of course ;))

• Advertisement

The having no cars lights is a big plus in Don's argument....

We're all going to look very foolish when the writers come up with an amazing explanation to why the blackout happened (In 10 years and 8 seasons from now of course ;))

This is NBC....it'll at most get a pity/save face season 2 renewal and axed ;)

don ramo wrote: »
    i just want to know how you can get a modern internal combustion engine to work without electricity, that is a billion euro idea,

I really am not seeing a huge problem in building a solely mechanical car. The fuel pump doesnt have to be electric, it could be mechanical, powered by the engine, hell even by the passenger. We already solved this problem, the original cars had no electricity in them.

as i said earlier, i expect the electricity will come back on at some point this season, and then the REVOLUTION will start, kinda stupid calling a show revolution without there actually being one

The having no cars lights is a big plus in Don's argument....

What?How? Why?

Your telling me your one Charlie, had she the option to get to Chicago by walking or by riding in my held together with duct tape, 100% mechanical car would rather walk because it has no lights?

We are getting silly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just think it mustn't have been an EMP, or they would have some stuff working. I mean based on what I know from other believable movies like Broken Arrow and War of the Worlds remake, EMP would only affect electrical devices that are turned on when the pulse hits.

But ok, I'll just accept what's happening and try not to think too much about it. I mean how many other shows have questionable science.

I really am not seeing a huge problem in building a solely mechanical car. The fuel pump doesnt have to be electric, it could be mechanical, powered by the engine, hell even by the passenger. We already solved this problem, the original cars had no electricity in them.

The man with a stock of lighter flints and paraffin headlamps will solve the internal combustion travel problem.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The man with a stock of lighter flints and paraffin headlamps will solve the internal combustion travel problem.

Not just travel. An internal combustion engine has many other uses.

Not just travel. An internal combustion engine has many other uses.
    getting it going is only the initial problem you have to overcome, there are 50 more problem down the line, simple maintenance would be a chore, sourcing cogs, pistin heads, shafts, clamps and gaskets, axels, timing belts, FUEL,

a good mountain bike would be a worthy investment alright though, kind of odd no body had one thinking about it,

• Advertisement

getting it going is only the initial problem you have to overcome, there are 50 more problem down the line, simple maintenance would be a chore, sourcing cogs, pistin heads, shafts, clamps and gaskets, axels, timing belts, FUEL,

a good mountain bike would be a worthy investment alright though, kind of odd no body had one thinking about it,

Surely there are enough cars and other machinery dotted around the landscape to have enough spares for a lifetime.

Surely there are enough cars and other machinery dotted around the landscape to have enough spares for a lifetime.
    yeah but car companies are dickheads, if you have a ford, you need to find a ford and then you need to find either imperial or metric tools, then you might need to get to the engine, and not get shot by the militia, or whatever or whoever else is out there,

its simple and easy to do now, just go to a scrap yard, but what if you remember seeing a fiesta in a field 30 miles away, you gonna drag all your gear out to it, there are 100 different things that can go wrong with cars, no matter what you are eventually gonna run into an unsolvable issue, its inevitable,

also remember youll need an older car to, newer cars have far to many electronics on them, and older cars tend to get crushed,

I don't think that fuel would be a problem, as there must be be a ready supply of combustible fumes from the abundance of bullsh1t in this particular apocalyptic future.

I don't think that fuel would be a problem, as there must be be a ready supply of combustible fumes from the abundance of bullsh1t in this particular apocalyptic future.
    smileyroflmao-gif.16889smileyroflmao-gif.16889smileyroflmao-gif.16889smileyroflmao-gif.16889smileyroflmao-gif.16889

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bazinga! Yeah, I think we've probably put more thought into the science angle than the writers have.
    Will the bikes have lights on the front of them, powered by dynamos? Where will the division in what works and doesn't be? How can any of it ever make sense?
    I'm kind of hoping for a supernatural explanation here because nothing else could possibly work.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

The show reminds me of Lost and Jericho, the whole mystery thing with the keychain that makes computers work and talking to someone in a black screen chat, Jericho much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Watched the pilot, wishing, hoping to find a show to tie me over for the next couple of months.
    And I thought it was pretty much terrible and offered absolutely nothing new.
    I won't dwell on all the scientific quibbles people have had with it, it's got enough flaws without that. I just felt the show was trying too desperately to make me "yearn" for more answers.
    I can't imagine it being saved for a second season, maybe a feature length episode to tie it off for the few die-hard fans that will bite from Abrams hand.

It's very annoying that all these shows (Flash Forward, The Event, Terra Nova) think that if they're mysterious enough, they'll be able to replace Lost. Lost was character driven from the early days. No doubt it went crazy once we became familiar with the characters, but it didn't just jump in with nonsense (like the mysterious USB key). Some of the first episodes of Lost were just about the conflicts within the group and they pushed the whole story, the mysterious island was just a back-drop.
    But I've found nearly all of these wannabes to be desperately trying to get us hooked with a quirky plot device.

Watched the pilot, wishing, hoping to find a show to tie me over for the next couple of months.
    And I thought it was pretty much terrible and offered absolutely nothing new.
    I won't dwell on all the scientific quibbles people have had with it, it's got enough flaws without that. I just felt the show was trying too desperately to make me "yearn" for more answers.
    I can't imagine it being saved for a second season, maybe a feature length episode to tie it off for the few die-hard fans that will bite from Abrams hand.

It's very annoying that all these shows (Flash Forward, The Event, Terra Nova) think that if they're mysterious enough, they'll be able to replace Lost. Lost was character driven from the early days. No doubt it went crazy once we became familiar with the characters, but it didn't just jump in with nonsense (like the mysterious USB key). Some of the first episodes of Lost were just about the conflicts within the group and they pushed the whole story, the mysterious island was just a back-drop.
    But I've found nearly all of these wannabes to be desperately trying to get us hooked with a quirky plot device.
    lost was fairly unique, and i think the island setting was a big factor in it, its always a show thats either loved or despised, i loved it,

of those 3 show you mentioned, the only one i even gave a chance was terra nova and i stopped watching it after 3 or 4 episode, it didnt seem to be going anywhere and the fact it was on FOX its just had cancellation written all over it, the other just didnt appeal to me in anyway,

whereas this is on NBC, a network desperate to get ratings, and is also wrapping up 2 of its biggest shows this year in The Office and 30 Rock, and grimm and smash are exactly setting the world on fire, if revolution matches terra novas ratings its gonna get renewed, and i cant see a reason they couldnt draw in 7 million viewers a week,

as much as im defending this show, its a big possibility i could stop watching it after 5 episodes, i dont care about scientific facts on TV, if i want facts ill go watch carl sagen again or go here, im just looking to be entertained, weather this is the new fringe or the new undercovers is yet to be determined, but so far i like the look of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I watched some of the pilot and wasnt overly impressed...

I dont know, i think for anything really decent these days you have to look at the non-network channels like HBO and AMC.

For me as well its too much like a series of books ive been reading by SM Stirling recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

giftgrub wrote: »
    For me as well its too much like a series of books ive been reading by SM Stirling recently

Is an explanation given in that book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

giftgrub wrote: »

Is an explanation given in that book?

Haven't finished the series yet! I believe they do explain it though

• Advertisement

go take that tripe to the new normal thread:),

It's relevent 'cause NBC is in ratings freefall!.....so RVL will follow suit!

It's relevent 'cause NBC is in ratings freefall!.....so RVL will follow suit!
    doesn't matter cause if revolution is the strongest show on the channel it will be renewed, the fact NBC is in trouble only heightens the possibility of renewal, and its more how much castle and Hawaii five-0 hold onto their audience,

also people probably didnt really care for the premise of the show, i know i had no interest in it and still feel the same, some shows are just doomed to fail, i think revolution has a shot to succeed whether it does or doesn't well just have to wait and see,

also looking forward to your hourly ratings update in the coming weeks richard;):p:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

could the title refer to something else besides a war?
    maybe to do with the planet like in The Core?

Tracy Spiridakos who plays Charlie is supposed to be 16 IRL but she is playing a 20-21 year old in the show which is unusual

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Skerries wrote: »
    Tracy Spiridakos who plays Charlie is supposed to be 16 IRL but she is playing a 20-21 year old in the show which is unusual

Sure about that age she really is? If so... wow for doing this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2178007/Revolution-star-Tracy-Spiridakos-goes-topless-sexy-GQ-shoot.html

http://www.gq.com/women/photos/201208/tracy-spiridakos-gq-photos-august-2012

that's why i questioned it but it is the only age I can find for her

According to her Wikipedia page, she was born in 1996.

Shit. Now I feel all level of wrongs thinking she was hot. The GQ spread is weird, but isn't it similar to Miley Cyrus posing for Vanity Fair?

According to her Wikipedia page, she was born in 1996.

Shit. Now I feel all level of wrongs thinking she was hot. The GQ spread is weird, but isn't it similar to Miley Cyrus posing for Vanity Fair?

There is no need to be feeling wrong for thinking she is hot. She is hot, and in most of Europe she is legal as well. Its only Ireland, Malta and Turkey where you could get into hot water for sleeping with her.

Even in Vatican City she is legal, the age of consent there being 12.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah there doesn't seem to be much info on her age, i find it hard to believe shes that young, but everything online indicates that shes 16, very secretive girl,

kind of reminds me of when mila kunis auditioned for That 70s Show, actors were suppose to be 18 and she said shed be 18 on her birthday but she was actually 14, she looked much older than she was,

jesus thats very old:D:D:D

There is no need to be feeling wrong for thinking she is hot. She is hot, and in most of Europe she is legal as well. Its only Ireland, Malta and Turkey where you could get into hot water for sleeping with her.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p132/Sentinalnate82/jackpot-1280x1024.gif

Those waiting for official and HD release, rejoice....kicks off tonight on NBC!

The speculation has already started on how long before the show lasts, or cancelled...depending on you cynics: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/09/16/the-jj-abrams-revolution-will-be-televised-but-for-how-long/148763/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Huzzah, I broke Mr. E's phone.

Success! :pac:

Nope, i reported yours as sig2big.....but in retallation my Playstation avatar was axed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope, i reported yours as sig2big.....but in retallation my Playstation avatar was axed :mad:

I hope you're not blaming me for that. I had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to that.

Humph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

This is the most LOLerrific thing since Terra Nova.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I personally don't predict long for this..

.. I think the average America viewer's fascination with a post-apocalyptic future is long and truly buried

And I can't blame them.. it's all become so tired and formulaic.

Have just caught up with The WalkIng Dead graphic series (comic?) and everything feels so fresh and raw after over 100 issues. Network TV still just feels far too safe.

I don't want to rant but we need a graphic no-holds-barred account of a post-apocalyptic future from the likes of
    HBO.

Things aren't all in-jokes and sweetness and light in the future.. it's all too saccharine!

Advertisement