Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolution [NBC - US] [* Spoilers *]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Oh. My. God. Worst show ever. This week just sealed the deal; colony of Peter Pan kids and lots of awful acting from the main girl.

The consensus is now....the show is brutal, glad i avoided :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

The 15 years after the blackout storyline is brutal. The kids plotline was just plain stupid. All the best actors are lined up on the before the blackout storyline and we just don't see enough of them in the 15 years later storyline. It is holding my interest to see how that develops but when Charlie appears on screen I tend to start surfing the web on my phone and I'm a red blooded male. Her character is so boring it doesn't matter how good looking she is (and weeks into their cross country trek her hair is still perfectly washed, conditioned and blow dried).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Another stoooopid storyline this week.

We can't all rescue that guy from the troop training ship because it's too difficult.

I'll go, says Charlie.

Okay, see ya.

We've got to rescue that guy from the troop training ship, oh and Charlie.

Okay, let's go, easy peasy.

The guy from the troop training ship and Charlie get rescued.

They live happily ever after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Another stoooopid storyline this week.

We can't all rescue that guy from the troop training ship because it's too difficult.

I'll go, says Charlie.

Okay, see ya.

We've got to rescue that guy from the troop training ship, oh and Charlie.

Okay, let's go, easy peasy.

The guy from the troop training ship and Charlie get rescued.

They live happily ever after.

Exactly, if they had ALL just gone the first time it would been grand! The writing is so retarded its not even funny, just infuriating!

Exactly, if they had ALL just gone the first time it would been grand! The writing is so retarded its not even funny, just infuriating!

The most infuriating thing for me is that Miles must know everything there is to know about Charlie's mother, and that she's still alive, yet he's made no mention of this whatsoever. It's the elephant in the room.

When and if Charlie finds out, is he going to tell her that it slipped his mind?

I'm surprised any of them can keep a straight face when they're doing their lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

touts wrote: »
    The 15 years after the blackout storyline is brutal. The kids plotline was just plain stupid. All the best actors are lined up on the before the blackout storyline and we just don't see enough of them in the 15 years later storyline. It is holding my interest to see how that develops but when Charlie appears on screen I tend to start surfing the web on my phone and I'm a red blooded male. Her character is so boring it doesn't matter how good looking she is (and weeks into their cross country trek her hair is still perfectly washed, conditioned and blow dried).
    I don't think she is that hot. Her face annoys me.

ejmaztec wrote: »

The most infuriating thing for me is that Miles must know everything there is to know about Charlie's mother, and that she's still alive, yet he's made no mention of this whatsoever. It's the elephant in the room.

When and if Charlie finds out, is he going to tell her that it slipped his mind?

I'm surprised any of them can keep a straight face when they're doing their lines.
    The crazy thing is that there are enough big, good actors in the show that you'd think the 2 leads would have been well cast (unless they blew the budget on ancillary cast) and someone would pipe up about the awful writing.

If I'm honest, I'd like to see a renewal and reboot of the show with a new writing team. It has potential. Kill off Charlie. Even the brother is a much better actor.

The biggest problem with the writing is the manner in which the writers try to create tension and suspense though outlandish and pointless decisions. We had the episode with the arrow trap where it's obvious that if she moves slightly to the left or right the arrow will miss her of the door opens. Any normal person would see this and think, okay just gotta lie this way for a bit but not the writers of the show. Instead they have here see sawing back and forth in front of the arrow in a bid to add some tension. Same goes for the episode where the sniper ambushes them, sending one or two men each time then deciding to rush him was completely unrealistic and smacked of the writers wanting to kill time and add some suspense. I only half saw the latest episode in a friends but bloody hell it was was worst of the bunch.

Numerous shows and films have taken the after the end of the world scenario and done great things with it. Jericho was one of the best shows of the past decade and had far more intelligence and wit in a single episode than Revolution has managed all season. Recently the film The Day covered similar ground and did so rather well, it's everything that Revolution promised to do and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Talk of the California commonwealth got me thinking... what would Ireland be like if revolution was a reality? Would it be like the old times where we had high kings? Would the provinces stay? Would we have small republics like Monroe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We probably divert to medieval Ireland. With swords and spud guns lol

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    We probably divert to medieval Ireland. With swords and spud guns lol

All those lads in hoodies you currently cross the street to avoid or the "families" fighting on the steps outside a local court house or the boys who bring slash hooks to funerals. They would all be the new local elite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

All those lads in hoodies you currently cross the street to avoid or the "families" fighting on the steps outside a local court house or the boys who bring slash hooks to funerals. They would all be the new local elite.
    theyd most likely be the first order of business to be "addressed" :D

As well as the rest of the problems with this programme, there seems to be some hesitation in sending villains to their graves when the opportunity arises. The first time I noticed this was when Miles had Neville by the short and curlies in an earlier episode. Instead of killing him, he decided to do a runner.

In the latest episode, he had no reason not to kill psycho-Strausser, and instead decided to jump in the river with the other softies. As far as I could see, there was only Strausser and one other guy left to fight, and they were just left there.:confused:

Pretty bland episode overall but a fantastic ending.

hopefully the show is about to kick into gear now, nice to see some kind of emotion in the mother, only took her about to be killed along with her son to bring some out, i really think elizabeth mitchell is wasted on this show, you can tell they expanded her character at the last minute and they really dont know how to develop her yet,

also it should be interesting where the show is gonna go from here, once charlie has danny then what, just go home,

and it looks like miles is really considering rejoining his buddy in the militia,

now that we know its some kind of machine that turned to power off and there is a way to turn it back on, i really hope they dont drag it out for a few seasons, just get the power back on by seasons end at the absolute latest and lets get this REVOLUTION started

Enjoy the next ep. - because it will be four and a half months to the next one!

Enjoy the next ep. - because it will be four and a half months to the next one!

Any idea if it has been renewed for a second season? It really is so bad its good now, can't stop watching so hoping they just wrap it up after 1 series!

Any idea if it has been renewed for a second season? It really is so bad its good now, can't stop watching so hoping they just wrap it up after 1 series!
    wont find that out till around may at network upfronts, if it maintains its current ratings it will get renewed, while it has the lowest ratings in its timeslot (7 million viewers this week), its beating castle (10 million viewers) and hawaii five-0 (9 million viewers) in the 18-49 demo, getting a 2.6 compared to hawaii 2.2 and castles 2.0,

good god im starting to sound like richard:eek:;):D

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Pretty bland episode overall but a fantastic ending.
    While I agree with the ending being fantastic, I cannot accept your classification of that episode as "bland". I believe a more apt description is "a clusterf*ck of active horrendousness"

A mine goes off (and luckily didn't blow Charlie's leg off; and I only say luckily because then we would have to listen to her moan about not having a leg/parents/step-mother who she should not have been so mean to/brother/future acting career) and collapses a tunnel (somehow...but I can live with this) and ****ing IMMEDIATELY they are out of air and tripping balls like they went to burning man. Carp from franklin and bash is there (wonder if F&B made it past the blackout?) and helpfully points out that they're running out of oxygen. Bum bum bunmmmmmm

Look at the torches, they're slowly extinguishing because apparently that's how fast oxygen levels depleat in a MASSIVE TUNNEL THAT IS OPEN AT A NUMBER OF POINTS IN THE FUTURE!

But does anyone think "hey, maybe we should like, I dunno, extinguish a few torches to save oxygen and rely on one?" This is ignoring the fact that the tunnel is lit in the background of every shot like Los bloody Vegas; including the place that was just caved in. Then they go for a swim in tunnel water; didn't we just have an episode that warned of the dangers of typhoid ?!

Then we reach a point where suddenly the oxygen is back to normal levels and we have a bit of a gotcha switcheroo. OMFG CARP WAS A BADDIE THIS WHOLE TIME. NO WAI?!

Then I don't even know what happened because after Charlie got shot in the head and then had a quick snooze with her pa' I decided to drink until my eyes could no longer focus on the mess that is REVOLUTIPOWERSYMBOLN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Between killing off good characters in the first few episodes, Charlie's bad acting, and the slowest of storylines, I'm really struggling to find reasons to watch any more of it. The premise is good, the support characters are excellent, but they really need to kick this show into gear soon

The only promising thing is they seem to be bringing the whole Charlie on a quest to save Danny thing to an end as they left the tunnel.

The "past" aspects of the background to the blackout and founding of the republic remain the stronger storylines. But we are seeing some politics taking a bigger role in the "present" with Kim Raver's character turning all Lady Macbeth. I think the three month break might do it good. It gives some hope that they might be able to reset the story and focus on the interesting parts. But then again they had two really good chances to kill off Charlie (stepping on a mine and then shooting her in the head) and she is still alive and pouting and perfectly made up without a hair out of place so it's only a slim hope.

So that Winter finale....was the Revoultion televised? :)
    Lol....no new episode now until March 26th...2013! :eek:

LOL!....it's The Event and FF all over again......

So that Winter finale....was the Revoultion televised? :)
    Lol....no new episode now until March 26th...2013! :eek:

LOL!....it's The Event and FF all over again......
    The first and only half good episode and we are left to see if all our main characters are killed by the chopper. My guess is the amplifying machine will break.

I watched the latest episode right after watching the most recent episode of Boardwalk Empire, wow bad idea. It was like watching an Oscar winning film and then an Episode of Fair City right after. Really couldn't care less about this program any more but I'll see it out to the finish in between watching better shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Pretty sure all the Monroe Militia guys undergo similar training to this

November-03-2011-19-02-30-20111031630a177.jpg

• Advertisement

I liked the way that they didn't waste any time with any pre-flight checks on the chopper, which had no trouble getting off the ground despite it probably not having done so for 15 years. The pilot didn't seem too rusty either, and needed no practice or any time in a simulator to brush up on his technique.
    I think that when the chopper gets beyond its "wifi" range it's going to drop like a brick

... and so the wait begins!

should be interesting now that monroe has the power working, but it does seem odd that monroe is still running the militia seeing as he such a co-dependent head case, i can see neville taking over at some stage, hes about to get another promotion anyway now that other guy is dead,

i must say though there was simply no need for the part where aaron only had 2 matches and suddenly he had no bothers using a flint:rolleyes:, and it only clicked with me how important aaron will be when the power comes back on, hell probably get kidnapped and made reprogram stuff at some stage, maybe by randall or something, i was half expecting his wife to show up though,

it was an ok mid season finale, you know that chopper is gonna fall out of the sky, its an empty threat ending,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That was pretty much the worst cliffhanger ever. It was a good episode, by Revolution standards, but the end was just pointless.

If I were runnin the show i would definitely do a mini reboot. Maybe not even kill any of the characters. They all escape the chopper and defect to Georgia (who are 'Americans' like tattoo chick). Then the show focuses on the war between the Americans led by miles and Monroe

The tech ppl work together to get power back to America and fight - but Monroe isn't in every episode ( thinks cylons in bsg)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a good idea. They do need to take a look at some of the other republics and see what's going on there.

If I were runnin the show i would definitely do a mini reboot. Maybe not even kill any of the characters. They all escape the chopper and defect to Georgia (who are 'Americans' like tattoo chick). Then the show focuses on the war between the Americans led by miles and Monroe

The tech ppl work together to get power back to America and fight - but Monroe isn't in every episode ( thinks cylons in bsg)

I think this hiatus is designed to do this, a reboot...much like what happened with The Event and Flash Forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just caught up on this. It's a dumb fun show with plot holes big enough for helicopters to fly through, but it's entertaining enough. A mini-reboot would do it the world of good.

The show has launched animated webisodes, you can watch them here: www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGd213_TbSmybLeN7lws3g?sub_confirmation=1

The show has launched animated webisodes, you can watch them here: www.youtube.com/channel/UCKGd213_TbSmybLeN7lws3g?sub_confirmation=1
    Wha?! This show seems to be getting more confused with itself by the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Why in Gods name would it do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Sky have picked this up

So many good shows never get to see the light of day over here and instead we get to see this awful crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Headshot wrote: »
    I see Sky have picked this up

So many good shows never get to see the light of day over here and instead we get to see this awful crap

Is it that bad? Saw the trailers yesterday and thought it looked like it had some potential. I know absolutely nothing about it though.

budhabob wrote: »
    Is it that bad? Saw the trailers yesterday and thought it looked like it had some potential. I know absolutely nothing about it though.

That's the thing, they take an interesting premise and never give it a chance with terrible acting, script writing and all round poor production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is this show coming back?
    its back in 48 days

budhabob wrote: »

They have an interesting background story and some good actors playing characters from the time of the blackout (The Captain Neville Character and his wife seem particularly interesting). But dear god the "present day" young characters are awful. The Charlie character, her brother and Nate are all impossibly good looking and well groomed for today never mind after 20 years of a feudal existance. The actress playing Charlie just can't act and is there purely for her good looks but in terms of sex appeal one scene with Kim Raver waiting on a train platform and it's Charlie who? They should kill off every character under 30 and move on with the show.

But then they would be stuck with General Monroe who has to be one of the least believable meglomanic dictators in the history of television. Charlie taking him out by detonating a suicide vest would be a good start to the second half of the season.

They've launch live action webisodes now, episode 1 is out....too lazy to find an embedded YT link: http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/02/revolution-live-action-web-series.html

Wow. That's pretty good flying. But I suppose in a world where 15 years of feudal subsistance living didn't hurt the supply of hair conditioner and make up a little thing like combat helicopter flying is easy.

I was encouraged when I saw JJ-Abrams at the beginning. Not so much after he pointed to the other guy and said he was the creator. "Nothing to do with me this thing is ALL his fault".

Wow. That's pretty good flying. But I suppose in a world where 15 years of feudal subsistance living didn't hurt the supply of hair conditioner and make up a little thing like combat helicopter flying is easy.

I was encouraged when I saw JJ-Abrams at the beginning. Not so much after he pointed to the other guy and said he was the creator. "Nothing to do with me this thing is ALL his fault".

:D LOL!....when I saw that I said the exact same thing to myself! ;)

After a near 4 month hiatus, returns tonight....or Tuesday am.
    Be very interesting to see the ratings, you can watch the first 8 mins here:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/03/revolution-episode-111-stand-watch.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Finally caught up with this. I think it has gotten a little more interesting but it's still hogwash. Let's face it, the kid's uncle could have killed off Monroe in a split second, and should have. That'd probably have been the end of the series and they could have left it at that. I hate it when shows do stupid things like have a character avoid an obvious kill and the show just sputters on after that.

What's the point of having helicopters if they can't go very far? OK, you get to defend your compound but that's largely it. Plus, those choppers will run out of ammo soon enough at the rate those guns go through it. they've already said that they were running out of ammo for guns and that's why they've gone back to swords. I suppose it's over thinking too but where are they getting the fuel for these choppers? I'd imagine there can't be an awful lot surviving after 20 years or whatever. Ah well, there I go, actually using my brain when watching a JJ Abrahams creation. You'd think I'd know better by now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Latest episode was getting good until obviously
    the character that the others were trying to get back died in the episode straight after they reunite
    . Episode overall was promising with
    the Neville's defected son.

Advertisement