Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the Dubs get an unfair rep?

• 09-02-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Do the Dubs get an unfair rep for being less friendly than us culchies? Was in Beaumont hospital for a few weeks and I was actually taken aback at how friendly and sound everyone was. I'm from Donegal myself which is supposed to be fairly friendly but It was easier to have a laugh with strangers in Dublin. Who'd have thunk it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ive always been nice to everyone... but apparently im strange so take it as you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I prefer lads from outside Dublin.

Dublin lads are too cocky I think, went out with enough of them.

A good culchie lad, now there's a proper man for me! Road frontage is a bonus :cool:

There is good people everywhere though, so no generalising, my dads from Dublin and everyone I know from Dublin are lovely people.
    There are very unfriendly people in the country, in fact even more so, they carry shot guns!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

It's not that surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Who'd have thunk it
    dont you me thinkeded it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

You had a prejudice that turned out to be groundless. How shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I think so, the majority of Dubliners I have met have been quite nice and friendly.

It's no different than everyone worrying bout Limerick people.
    Are you startin!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Dublin lads are the crack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Dublin lads use crack!
    FYP

Sindri wrote: »
    FYP

touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Come - on - you - bhoys - in - blue, come on you boys in blue, come on you boys in bluueeee!

• Advertisement

[SIZE=]Come - on - you - bhoys - in - blue, come on you boys in blue, come on you boys in bluueeee![/SIZE]

I suspect you support Dublin.

Dublin/Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No it's how he calls the police, not having a phone and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I find Limerick people are noticeably more polite than Dublin people in general. I suspect this comes from fear of stabbing though.

Just so all ye Dubs know, we all despise you and your city, please go back to Britain.:)

Wasn't aware the Dubs had a bad rep, went to work there (from Cork) when I was 22 and found the Dubs a great pack of folk tbh.

Country people just need to have some more respect for their superiors in Dublin.

imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Anyone generalising based on where people are from are not only unfair but pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

You had a prejudice that turned out to be groundless. How shocking.
    Amazing isnt it. Thank you soooo much for your contribution.

RichieC wrote: »
    Anyone generalising based on where people are from are not only unfair but pretty stupid.
    Typical midlands person response :rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement

Actually, No. Not really into GAA.
    From experience living in Dublin and Sligo I find that it works both ways, obviously I suppose.
    Both sides who hate the other are just stupid, as I said before, I much prefer to hate people on an individual basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I find Limerick people are noticeably more polite than Dublin people in general. I suspect this comes from fear of stabbing though.

Take another stab at that suspicion lark to see if you can get it right for a change!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Take another stab at that suspicion lark to see if you can get it right for a change!
    beating?
    shooting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As Corkman I like the Dubs.

Never had problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ironically, the only real hosility that exists in the Dubs V Cuilches battle comes from outside Dublin. In all honesty, you can dislike us as much as you like but we still love you :o (((((((((Hug me))))))))))

And that's why were better than you.

I think this will resolve the matter. (probably not)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_averages

Dublin being the most populated country is bound to have the most arseholes in it.
    The same way people hate Americans for being thick..
    Ireland being a small country is generally quite well liked globally.
    Dublin is in Ireland.....brain **** zomg! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Just so all ye Dubs know, we all despise you and your city, please go back to Britain.:)
    I think most of em are sound even though they're British

beating?
    shooting?

Sorry - I must have gotten your point backwards if you're listing all the recent goings-on in the capital.

Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

hmmmm dubs unfair rep for being unfriendly.

If unfriendly is arrogant, world doesn't exist outside dublin, annoying, loud. Then Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Ironically, the only real hosility that exists in the Dubs V Cuilches battle comes from outside Dublin. In all honesty, you can dislike us as much as you like but we still love you :o (((((((((Hug me))))))))))

No means No, stop harrassing the yokels.

Remember Cork was the 'City of Welcomes' for the queen?

I was so confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

VagnerLove wrote: »
    Remember Cork was the 'City of Welcomes' for the queen?

I was so confused.

see dublin was the 'city of wan....'

whoops me smells a banning if I went on

^ Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been commuting into Dublin for the past while now and find most people I encounter to be pleasant and friendly. I might meet the odd gobsheen but thats the same everywhere really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Most Dubs are grand, it's just those who claim to be either South siders or North siders that are the prats, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Iang87 wrote: »
    hmmmm dubs unfair rep for being unfriendly.

If unfriendly is arrogant, world doesn't exist outside dublin, annoying, loud. Then Yes

Hmm....that's decidedly unfriendly of you coming from a supposed friendly cuilche?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I do love a good county bashing, lets off a bit of auld steam.

Most of the dubs iv'e met in me time have thought they are superior and tougher then anyone that live outside of their county, tbh iv'e buttered harder pieces of toast than most of them, ahh but shur their a grand bunch of lads when they get the auld heroin in um.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Im a Dub and I dont know many "Dubs that thinks the world doesnt exist outside the pale" but I know plenty outside the pale that have an inferiority complex explained by this statement . .

Dublin has a quarter of the population living in it, so its bound to have more idiots and ignorant gits then there are in most counties. Hell, if even 10% of every countys were idiots, Dublin would nearly have as many idiots as there are people in certain counties!. .

But never let that get in the way of an affectionatly practised prejudice . . :D

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Most of the dubs iv'e met in me time have thought they are superior and tougher then anyone that live outside of their county, tbh iv'e buttered harder pieces of toast than most of them, ahh but shur their a grand bunch of lads when they get the auld heroin in um.

And we all know Limerick has no drug problems.

By that I mean you'd have no problems getting drugs in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There seems to be a lot of unfriendliness and nasty comments coming from non-Dubs on this thread.

Edit... and some lovely comments too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of unfriendliness and nasty comments coming from non-Dubs on this thread.
    I find some Dubs tend to play the victim card when it suits them... :pac:

Drumpot wrote: »
    Im a Dub and I dont know many "Dubs that thinks the world doesnt exist outside the pale" but I know plenty outside the pale that have an inferiority complex explained by this statement . .

Dublin has a quarter of the population living in it, so its bound to have more idiots and ignorant gits then there are in most counties. Hell, if even 10% of every countys were idiots, Dublin would nearly have as many idiots as there are people in certain counties!. .

But never let that get in the way of an affectionatly practised prejudice . . :D

This impression is given off by so-called "national" newspapers, radio and TV presenters and ads using phrases like "in town" or "O'Connell St", or regularly omitting the required "01" prefix.

This impression is given off by so-called "national" newspapers, radio and TV presenters and ads using phrases like "in town" or "O'Connell St", or regularly omitting the required "01" prefix.

In fairness, "O'Connell St" is the main thoroughfare in the largest city on this island.

If someone says "O'Connell St" they usually mean Dublin, unless they qualify it with e.g "O'Connell St, Limerick"

Turpentine wrote: »

In fairness, "O'Connell St" is the main thoroughfare in the largest city on this island.

If someone says "O'Connell St" they usually mean Dublin, unless they qualify it with e.g "O'Connell St, Limerick"

Replace with any street name and that excuse no longer applies. It's lazy and pisses people off - simple as that.

If someone in Cork hears "Patrick St" or "in town" it means something different to someone in Limerick hearing it - unless they're hearing it on that county's LOCAL station (akin to listening to a U.S. station online and understanding what THEY mean by "the capital" or "the president")

P.S. What "someone" are you talking about ? If I mention just "O'Connell St" it'll be either Ennis or Limerick, depending on my audience at the time; if I mean the Dublin one, I'll say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Turpentine wrote: »

Tbh I think you'll find it's mostly on boards where people say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I prefer lads from outside Dublin.

Dublin lads are too cocky I think, went out with enough of them.

A good culchie lad, now there's a proper man for me! Road frontage is a bonus :cool:

There is good people everywhere though, so no generalising, my dads from Dublin and everyone I know from Dublin are lovely people.
    There are very unfriendly people in the country, in fact even more so, they carry shot guns!

Dodged that bullet.

the_syco wrote: »
    I find some Dubs tend to play the victim card when it suits them... :pac:

I find some people from Leixslip pretend they are from Dublin when it suits them. ;)

It's lazy.

Jaysus Liam, it's a street in a capital city that shares a name with streets in other towns and cities, is it really really really that bad? Does is really get to you that much?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's lazy.

Jaysus Liam, it's a street in a capital city that shares a name with streets in other towns and cities, is it really really really that bad? Does is really get to you that much?

Never said it got to me.

Just that it's lazy.

Plus it it's an ad for something and they don't specify the 01 or the city, then they lose the point of the ad in attracting me as a customer when the phone number advertised doesn't work.

Replace with any street name and that excuse no longer applies. It's lazy and pisses people off - simple as that.

If someone in Cork hears "Patrick St" or "in town" it means something different to someone in Limerick hearing it - unless they're hearing it on that county's LOCAL station (akin to listening to a U.S. station online and understanding what THEY mean by "the capital" or "the president")

P.S. What "someone" are you talking about ? If I mention just "O'Connell St" it'll be either Ennis or Limerick, depending on my audience at the time; if I mean the Dublin one, I'll say so.

It could be argued that it does apply. If a street name is not suffixed by the town or city it is in you could generally assume it applies to the street of that name in the islands biggest, most highly-populated city.

Google "Henry St" and tell me the first answer that comes up. It's not the one in Cork (though I don't know if the search is weighted by my current location).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement