Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the Dubs get an unfair rep?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Never said it got to me

Well, you have logged on to a thread about the friendliness of Dubliners to complain about it, so, it must get to you!

I suppose if that's all you can think about to complain about the capital (and the lack of the phone prefix) and it's citizens, we aren't that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Never said it got to me.

Just that it's lazy.

Plus it it's an ad for something and they don't specify the 01 or the city, then they lose the point of the ad in attracting me as a customer when the phone number advertised doesn't work.

I love it when I'm listening to 4fm in Limerick and an ad for a taxi firm in Dublin comes on.......

Or when I'm listening to 2fm/Todayfm and the radio presenter is talking about the blazing sunshine/lashing rain outside the studio, and I'm 100+ miles away and the weather's doing the complete opposite:rolleyes:

The national radio stations in Ireland are not actually national at all, they are Dublin stations with a wider broadcast area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I love it when I'm listening to 4fm in Limerick and an ad for a taxi firm in Dublin comes on.......

Or when I'm listening to 2fm/Todayfm and the radio presenter is talking about the blazing sunshine/lashing rain outside the studio, and I'm 100+ miles away and the weather's doing the complete opposite:rolleyes:

The national radio stations in Ireland are not actually national at all, they are Dublin stations with a wider broadcast area!

Not CKR or Kfm. They'd be laughed out of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Turpentine wrote: »
    Replace with any street name and that excuse no longer applies. It's lazy and pisses people off - simple as that.

If someone in Cork hears "Patrick St" or "in town" it means something different to someone in Limerick hearing it - unless they're hearing it on that county's LOCAL station (akin to listening to a U.S. station online and understanding what THEY mean by "the capital" or "the president")

P.S. What "someone" are you talking about ? If I mention just "O'Connell St" it'll be either Ennis or Limerick, depending on my audience at the time; if I mean the Dublin one, I'll say so.

It could be argued that it does apply. If a street name is not suffixed by the town or city it is in you could generally assume it applies to the street of that name in the islands biggest, most highly-populated city.

Google "Henry St" and tell me the first answer that comes up. It's not the one in Cork (though I don't know if the search is weighted by my current location).

Then you have no concept of tailoring the output to the intended audience (something which, I suspect, is due to most of the "national" presenters having previously worked for Dublin pirates and locals).

Assuming the largest is not an excuse - if you say "the president" do you assume the president of China ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

RTE do a fair bit from Cork, i.e John Creedon and stuff.

They could build a studio and broadcast the Late Late from the arse-end of Laois, but then the people of Roscommon would moan that they weren't being represented.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Never said it got to me

Well, you have logged on to a thread about the friendliness of Dubliners to complain about it, so, it must get to you!

I suppose if that's all you can think about to complain about the capital (and the lack of the phone prefix) and it's citizens, we aren't that bad!

I replied to a post in the thread that mentioned it, and while it doesn't reflect on their "friendliness" or otherwise, it does give others an impression of being insular and not having a clue about the remainder of the state, which can appear unwelcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Ironically, the only real hosility that exists in the Dubs V Cuilches battle comes from outside Dublin. In all honesty, you can dislike us as much as you like but we still love you :o (((((((((Hug me)))))))))

lol, good one.

There is no misogyny on the internet either.

Then you have no concept of tailoring the output to the intended audience (something which, I suspect, is due to most of the "national" presenters having previously worked for Dublin pirates and locals).

Assuming the largest is not an excuse - if you say "the president" do you assume the president of China ?

There's a bigger audience in Dublin than in any other single place in the country.

If I was in China talking to a local and I said "the President" it would mean the President of China.

In Ireland if I say "The President" it means Michael D Higgins, but as far as people like you are concerned I should probably say "The President of Ireland" so it doesn't get confused with the president of your local tidy-towns committee.

I replied to a post in the thread that mentioned it, and while it doesn't reflect on their "friendliness" or otherwise, it does give others an impression of being insular and not having a clue about the remainder of the state, which can appear unwelcoming.

Right, I guess the little things get to some people. That sort of thing wouldn't really bother me to be honest. It's nearly the weekend, my advice, relax, book a hotel in Dublin and have a nice city break, embrace your country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

This impression is given off by so-called "national" newspapers, radio and TV presenters and ads using phrases like "in town" or "O'Connell St", or regularly omitting the required "01" prefix.

I feckin hate when some gob****e on the phone does that at work. "If you could call me back at 667 blah blah"

I nearly always ask it is a Dublin number.

Considering they have to dial 061 to ring me.......gowlbags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Do the Dubs get an unfair rep for being less friendly than us culchies? Was in Beaumont hospital for a few weeks and I was actually taken aback at how friendly and sound everyone was. I'm from Donegal myself which is supposed to be fairly friendly but It was easier to have a laugh with strangers in Dublin. Who'd have thunk it.

You have officially lost your donegal citizenship, im very disappointed in you:p

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Most Dubs are culchies by blood anyway. I don't have a single grandparent from Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 triforce9000

I'm from Galway and i moved to Dublin 3 years ago before moving on recently.

Galway has some lovely people and so has Dublin.

On the whole i'd prefer Dubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    Most Dubs are culchies by blood anyway. I don't have a single grandparent from Dublin

All my grandparents are from Dublin. As were my great-grandparents. I fear I may be inbred :(

There's a bigger audience in Dublin than in any other single place in the country.

Irrelevant (unless it's a local paper or local radio station like FM104 or Q102). The point is that you treat each listener in the audience equally. For a national station or newspaper or TV station, that involves phrasing things appropriately.
    If I was in China talking to a local and I said "the President" it would mean the President of China.

What if you were in Dublin talking to that "local" on the phone ? Or on the air ?
    In Ireland if I say "The President" it means Michael D Higgins, but as far as people like you are concerned I should probably say "The President of Ireland" so it doesn't get confused with the president of your local tidy-towns committee.

Firstly, drop the personalised "people like you" attitude, unless you're referring to people with basic cop-on.

Secondly, since the president is indeed "President of Ireland" (i.e. the whole intended audience) then there's no issue there, so your condescending waffle fails.

The corresponding issue would be a phrase like "The Mayor", which should be qualified by the appropriate location in order to treat every listener equally and (for the presenter/reporter) not come across as a lazy / narrow-minded / clueless idiot.

EDIT: Anyway - this point is just one of the reasons why they're viewed as a little off, and the fact that it's not a simple oversight but that people are prepared to argue and defend the point reinforces that.

That said, it's just one of the factors that cause people to like or dislike Dubs (another would be voting for Bertie, but that's a whole other story) and people will always give different priorities to the different pluses and minuses, so there's no point hogging the thread discussing just one (and one I suspect we won't agree on anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

My grandparents are from Dublin too.

Also I think Eve does have a point, no one I know hates country people, they just don't mind either way. For those people from the country, hating Dublin is just caring far, far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I know I do; but it's not from anyone I don't know.

Stereotypical dub is a jackeen

Firstly, drop the personalised "people like you" attitude,

I think he's just reacting to your attitude.

Fortunately, most people on this thread seem to be pretty broadminded and are looking at the bigger picture. Dub's aren't that bad and you're points about street names and phone prefixes are somewhat weak and don't bolster the fact that Dubliners are unfriendly.

Firstly, drop the personalised "people like you" attitude, unless you're referring to people with basic cop-on.

Eh.. "people who carry on like you". Is that better?

Or how about "people who carry on with the attitude that a street in some small village holds the same importance for the media as a street of the same name in the major population centre in the country"
    That said, it's just one of the factors that cause people to like or dislike Dubs (another would be voting for Bertie, but that's a whole other story) and people will always give different priorities to the different pluses and minuses, so there's no point hogging the thread discussing just one (and one I suspect we won't agree on anyway).

Don't lay all the blame on Dublin for Bertie being Taoiseach. If he hadn't the support of all the Fianna Fail TDs voted in across the country he would have had as much influence as a fart in a wind tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You have officially lost your donegal citizenship, im very disappointed in you:p
    I'm not the one living in Dublin John. Whats the matter L.Y.I.T not good enough for ya? Eh.

• Advertisement

Eh.. "people who carry on like you". Is that better?

As I said, if you're talking about people who value common sense, that's fine.
    Or how about "people who carry on with the attitude that a street in some small village holds the same importance for the media as a street of the same name in the major population centre in the country"

And there we go.......aside from the fact that small villages don't usually have streets, the examples mentioned were a city and a county town, and you had to take a swipe.

THAT is the reason why the point is relevant to what people think of Dubs.

Not all of them, mind - many are sound and less arrogant / condescending / disrespectful.

And there we go.......aside from the fact that small villages don't usually have streets,

Jeepers, what have you got against small villages, disrespecting their streets like that.
    "Knickers.......twisting"*

*Liam did not actually say this, he only implied it.

And there we go.......aside from the fact that small villages don't usually have streets,

Jeepers, what have you got against small villages, disrespecting their streets like that.

Er - see the plural ? Small villages usually have a single main street each (although this being Ireland I would suspect there's a few with Church/Chapel St in there too)

Er - see the plural ? Small villages usually have a single main street each (although this being Ireland I would suspect there's a few with Church/Chapel St in there too)

And you have basically said that their only street doesn't meet your criteria. For shame.

And you have basically said that their only street doesn't meet your criteria. For shame.

Nice way to avoid answering the fact that you referred to Limerick & Ennis as villages.

Now, if you can find me an ACTUAL village with an O'Connell St, I'll happily take that into consideration.

Oh - hang on; I don't actually need to because I'm already doing that by being specific as to which streets I'm referring!

:rolleyes:

Nice way to avoid answering the fact that you referred to Limerick & Ennis as villages.

Now, if you can find me an ACTUAL village with an O'Connell St, I'll happily take that into consideration.

Oh - hang on; I don't actually need to because I'm already doing that by being specific as to which streets I'm referring!

:rolleyes:

You're the only one who equated Limerick and Ennis with villages, I was speaking in a broader sense.

But with regard to Limerick and Ennis, neither has more than the population of a suburb in Dublin, nor do they have as many visitors from all over the country as Dublin. The people in Limerick or Ennis may get irked and confused by "O'Connell St", but I'd wager the greater population of Ireland would be more likely to think of "O'Connell St" as the Dublin one because of its broader recognition.

You're the only one who equated Limerick and Ennis with villages, I was speaking in a broader sense.

Ah - no. The mention of villages was in your post at 23:51.

So stop lying.
    But with regard to Limerick and Ennis, neither has more than the population of a suburb in Dublin, nor do they have as many visitors from all over the country as Dublin. The people in Limerick or Ennis may get irked and confused by "O'Connell St", but I'd wager the greater population of Ireland would be more likely to think of "O'Connell St" as the Dublin one because of its broader recognition.

Wager on! How much, and when are you going to start surveying everyone ?

Come on now.

So stop lying.

Are all Limerick people as angry as you? Actually don't answer that.

Are you trying to tell me that if one was to say "O'Connell St" to someone from, say, Donegal, they would automatically think of Ennis or Limerick until it was specified that it was the Dublin one being referred to?

VagnerLove wrote: »

Come on now.

What ? It's a valid offer.

Turpentine has decided to speak on behalf of the greater population of Ireland and suggested a wager on it.

Usually when people make such claims they need to back them up.

I'll give them the opportunity to back up their post and I'll honour a wager on it if they can prove it via a scientifically unbiased, non-leading question survey for everyone outside Dublin (for example a telephone poll that asks "How far away are you from O'Connell St")

If approx half of those answer an approximate distance to Dublin's one then - combined with the quarter for whom that is the "local" one - I'll accept that as a sufficient majority.

Now we'll leave it there because we're hogging the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I find Limerick people are noticeably more polite than Dublin people in general. I suspect this comes from fear of stabbing though.
    I'm from Limerick and I don't.

So stop lying.

Are you trying to tell me that if one was to say "O'Connell St" to someone from, say, Donegal, they would automatically think of Ennis or Limerick until it was specified that it was the Dublin one being referred to?

What ????? No! Jesus! Can you not understand the concept at all ?

A Donegal person would think of their LOCAL town/city's one first - for example if there was one in Bundoran.

Why the hell you reckon they'll assume any other county is beyond me, unless you're deliberately playing dumb as part of a wind-up.

I'll give them the opportunity to back up their post and I'll honour a wager on it if they can prove it via a scientifically unbiased, non-leading question survey for everyone outside Dublin (for example a telephone poll that asks "How far away are you from O'Connell St")

That would only be an issue for someone in a town outside Dublin that actually has an O'Connell St in it.

How many towns in Ireland actually have an O'Connell St? The one in Ennis doesn't even get a mention on wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yeah Liam you've undermined your original point a bit, which was against the stereotype that Limerick people are violent.
    Not that you've suggested violence at all, just saying that anger and violence are related (dont stab me :eek: ) ;)

Really, come on now.

It's understandable that the media doesn't need to mention that it's Dublin's O'Connell street. It's just more well known, which again is understandable. This conversation is getting a bit mad.

EDIT: to be perfectly clear, I mean the lesser known street in Limerick needs to be clarified, simply because it's the lesser known one. No big deal.

That would only be an issue for someone in a town outside Dublin that actually has an O'Connell St in it.

How many towns in Ireland actually have an O'Connell St? The one in Ennis doesn't even get a mention on wikipedia.

Wikipedia ? Seriously ?

Does it show the one in Sligo ?

Try something reputable.

Google Maps directs you to your nearest one by default. The correct approach and the one I've suggested applies - maybe Google are wrong that you need to qualify the specific one if not referrig to a local one ?

P.S. Still no comment re the villages slur I see

Really, come on now.

It's understandable that the media doesn't need to mention that it's Dublin's O'Connell street. It's just more well known, which again is understandable. This conversation is getting a bit mad.

Tell that to Liam. He thinks the people of Bundoran are going to assume one of their streets are being mention on the news unless the streetname is followed by "in Dublin".

Wikipedia ? Seriously ?

Does it show the one in Sligo ?

Try something reputable.

Wikipedia may not be reliable for facts because anyone can edit it, but no-one even bothered to make a page for "O'Connell St" in Ennis. I rest my case.

grenache wrote: »
    Proves nothing. My argument is that the fear is an influence on the local culture as a whole. You're probably still influenced by the local culture (and if you're not then your individual feeling is even less relevant really).

You might be more inclined to agree with me if I put it differently: Some people where I'm from couldn't conduct themselves as they do without consequences, were they to do it in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

So like, can Limerick people not just think up their own street names or what? Maybe if they didn't copy the names of bigger, more important streets it wouldn't be an issue

Really, come on now.

It's understandable that the media doesn't need to mention that it's Dublin's O'Connell street. It's just more well known, which again is understandable. This conversation is getting a bit mad

No, it's not understandable. Combined with the lack of 01 prefixes and other oversights this issue is pure laziness and a lack of understanding of basic courtesies of journalism and broadcasting.

Turpentine didn't even know there was one in Ennis and used Wikipedia instead of Google Maps ffs!

skregs wrote: »
    So like, can Limerick people not just think up their own street names or what? Maybe if they didn't copy the names of bigger, more important streets it wouldn't be an issue

The Dubs changed the name of Sackville St, so I'd be careful of chicken and egg claims there sunshine!

grenache wrote: »
    Proves nothing. My argument is that the fear is an influence on the local culture as a whole. You're probably still influenced by the local culture (and if you're not then your individual feeling is even less relevant really).

You might be more inclined to agree with me if I put it differently: Some people where I'm from couldn't conduct themselves as they do without consequences, were they to do it in Limerick.

Can we have that in plain English please ? Where are you from and what conduct are you talking about ? Not that I want to know but the above is far too obtuse and vague to make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

My county is better than your county.

Blah blah blah.

This thread, like all these threads has turned to sh1t, and it won't last long.

There's a lot of posing in this thread as opposed to actually disliking Dublin/the country.

Grow up ffs.

Turpentine didn't even know there was one in Ennis and used Wikipedia instead of Google Maps ffs!

As I said a few minutes ago, no-one from Ennis even deemed their "O'Connell St" important enough to warrant a wikipedia page. They're probably not going to confuse their local street with the Dublin one when it's mentioned on the news.

I'd say if you were American you'd be all like, "Mircale on 34th St, what crap is this? Which 34th street? My town has a 34th Street".

• Advertisement

Can we have that in plain English please ? Where are you from and what conduct are you talking about ? Not that I want to know but the above is far too obtuse and vague to make any sense.
    I dont want to be specific about where I'm from but it's on the southside of dublin and it's changed in character in recent years to attract a poseurish kind of person.

The conduct I mean is general aggressive and rude behaviour. Like getting in people's way on the street. How they talk to strangers. You can act like that in some places without fear of repurcussions beyond being seen as a goon. In other places you'd want to be able to back up any displays of unnecessary aggression you make.

I dont want to be specific about where I'm from but it's on the southside of dublin and it's changed in character in recent years to attract a poseurish kind of person.

The conduct I mean is general aggressive and rude behaviour. Like getting in people's way on the street. How they talk to strangers. You can act like that in some places without fear of repurcussions beyond being seen as a goon. In other places you'd want to be able to back up any displays of unnecessary aggression you make.

I doubt that Limerick people are unique in terms of not wanting that crap!

You're saying that you (they?) want to walk around acting rude and aggressive and not expect people to put you in your place by doing likewise to you ?

What does your place do if blow-ins arrive acting all bull**** aggressive and rude ?

You're saying that you (they?) want to walk around acting rude and aggressive and not expect people to put you in your place by doing likewise to you ?

What does your place do if blow-ins arrive acting all bull**** aggressive and rude ?
    Call them boggers and sneer at them probably. It's all handbags is the point. If things do escalate too much then there is a much higher chance of legal proceedings as a result tbh. Basically it's safe to act like a complete twat.

Call them boggers and sneer at them probably. It's all handbags is the point. If things do escalate too much then there is a much higher chance of legal proceedings as a result tbh. Basically it's safe to act like a complete twat.

Fine - if acting like a complete twat is your thing (your words, not mine) then fire away.

The earlier post had mentioned aggression and rudeness, which is unacceptable and different to acting a twat; something that would - in an ideal world - be handled by Gardai or security.

Still wouldn't exactly tolerate twats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

The Dubs changed the name of Sackville St, so I'd be careful of chicken and egg claims there sunshine!

And O'Connell St, Limerick was originally called Georges St. So fooking what?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement