Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do the Dubs get an unfair rep?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are dozens (hundreds maybe?) of streets in England called Regent St and Oxford St. Yet when you hear of Oxford St on the BBC, everyone automatically presumes that is the one in London, as that is the only one that is known of nationwide. There is no hoopla kicked up as to it not being qualified as such. In America, there are thousands of Fifth Avenues, yet no one gets up in arms when the NY/DC based media refer to Fifth Ave as if it is the only one in America. I really don't see what the big deal is with O'Connell St here. If I live in Ballygoarseendofnowhere and there is an O'Connell St in my home town too, I am not gonna start calling Joe Duffy outraged if the pesky, biased Dublin 4 meeja are not saying specifically where each one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Joe Duffy is more guilty of it then any of the pesky, biased Dublin 4 meeja

Bould Joe has turned RTÉ in Dublin local radio

I can accept callers ringing up about Blackrock, ok the Dublin one is more obvious then Louth or Cork, no problems there and I'm not going to get finicky over it.
    But callers ring up and give a street as if all of Ireland know of it

Ah Joe, I was mugged on Sundrive Rd
    My friend was knocked down on Clanbrassil St.

And everyone knows where these are?

If you're listening to Joe Duffy and you only hear the street you know it's Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I'm on Boards nearly two years and i havent laughed at a thread so much as this one!I'm a Dub by the way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Culchies are more like travellers than Dubs I think. And travellers are the most 'Irish' of us all yet there seen as an ethnic group, mad!!
    Dubs got more forden and English roots. Watch the story of Ireland on rte;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Culchies are more like travellers than Dubs I think.

And travellers are the most 'Irish' of us all yet there seen as an ethnic group, mad!!

Dubs got more forden and English roots.

Well done, I think you've managed to insult everyone in Ireland with this post :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Dubs are basically English folk with a corrupted accent.

*leans against fence* Sure weren't most of 'em in cahoots with the Brits on Easter Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

In fairness, fellow Dubs. We should say the city instead of town for Dublin. That way there'll be no confusion. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Sindri wrote: »
    Dubs are basically English folk with a corrupted accent.

*leans against fence* Sure weren't most of 'em in cahoots with the Brits on Easter Sunday.

I don't hear of many "Dubs" involved in this great British pass time.
    http://www.hai.ie/

Anyways I'm off to bed (the Dublin one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Goodnight thread.

See you again in the very distant future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement