Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kegging questions

Options
  • 09-02-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭

I've made a couple of brews in the past where I bottled the beers but this time around I'm going to try and keg it. So I have a steel keg which I can open up and syphon beer into. I also have C02, a regulator, a cooler, a tap and a connection for the top of the keg which allows me to apply the CO2 into the keg so as to draw the liquid out at the same time.

So the question I have is with the kegging procedure. At the moment I have the beer fermenting. When this process is complete can I just syphon the beer into the keg and then lock it up for a few weeks? If so do I need to add sugar to kick off a secondary fermentation or will the fact that I am going to be carbonating with CO2 mean that this is not necessary?

A second question then regards gelatine. I heard from someone that using this gives a cleaner end product. Is this true and at what stage do I need to add it and where can I find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I
    So the question I have is with the kegging procedure. At the moment I have the beer fermenting. When this process is complete can I just syphon the beer into the keg and then lock it up for a few weeks? If so do I need to add sugar to kick off a secondary fermentation or will the fact that I am going to be carbonating with CO2 mean that this is not necessary?

you can carbonate with sugar (use a priming calculator or around 80-100g per 20 liters) if you want, i used to but switched over to force carbonation as i could not see any befits to conditioning and there are a few drawn backs

A second question then regards gelatine. I heard from someone that using this gives a cleaner end product. Is this true and at what stage do I need to add it and where can I find it?

yep to place to a add it, a few days before be you transfer the beer or added it to the keg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

oblivious wrote: »
    i used to but switched over to force carbonation as i could not see any befits to conditioning
    I hope you're happy: you've just made Roger Protz cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

oblivious wrote: »
    you can carbonate with sugar (use a priming calculator or around 80-100g per 20 liters) if you want, i used to but switched over to force carbonation as i could not see any befits to conditioning and there are a few drawn backs

What would be the result if I syphoned into the keg, didn't add any sugar and then left it there for 2-3 weeks before then applying C02 just before serving?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

What would be the result if I syphoned into the keg, didn't add any sugar and then left it there for 2-3 weeks before then applying C02 just before serving?

Well for a corny keg you want the c02 pressure to to seal the keg firstly. Also you would usually give the keg a couple blasts of c02, releasing the pressure each time to expel the oxygen in the keg. I see no benefit in carbing a keg with sugar as you are going to generte more yeast that way too, unless of course you have no c02 left:D

BeerNut wrote: »
    I hope you're happy: you've just made Roger Protz cry.

Well Roger technically wouldn't allow a Victorian mild be called real ale or CAMRA for that matter ;)

• Advertisement

You may get some oxidation, as the lids generally need some pressure on them to form a air tight seal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Is it possible to pressurise the keg and then unhook the gassing/tapping equipment whilst leaving the keg pressurised?

Is it possible to pressurise the keg and then unhook the gassing/tapping equipment whilst leaving the keg pressurised?

oh god yea, perfectly

Advertisement