Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have relocated to greystones!

Options
  • 09-02-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

whats on - groups, writers groups, arts, photography.
    only snag...do not 'do' evenings as rather incapacitated through illness and disability.
    still engaged with life and my brain.
    that at least hasnt gone south.
    x
    oh would love to get involved in something useful, if not too taxing and energy sapping.
    oh dear that doesnt sound so good!
    female. not yet golden but nearly.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi Treecreeper, Greystones Camera Club meet every Thursday night at 8pm in the Evangelical Hall on Hillside road, Greystones. If you can't make nights there are some get togethers outside of club nights which may suit you.
    If you require a lift anytime just let me know here on this forum or through PM.
    Have a look on www.greystonesguide.ie for happenings/events
    There are Bridge clubs in the area with daytime programs if you are interested.
    Clubs listed here > http://cbai.ie/clubguide/WicklowClubGuide.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Princessrider

hi
    if you're +50 or there abouts why not join Greystones Active Retirement Assoc www.greystonesara.com
    Loads to do from indoors to outdoors and classes as well. We have 300 very active members!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

I am finally in my new home and loving it.
    i slept for the first time here last night.
    i had spent some time getting my stuff all organised but still have a bit to go, but so so happy with my choice.
    the chihauhaus are having a ball chasing the cats from the gardens.
    i worry as the cats are usually bigger then them!
    i have been walking around my new garden and cannot tell a weed from a proper plant.
    i am so new to all of this.
    if anyone cares to ID my weeds for me, do PM and we can start to see the weed from the wanted!
    really good being here. the gorgeous weather as well is adding up to 100% sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Welcome! Greystones is a great town - you'll love it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

Welcome to Greystones, Treecreeper! Great town to live in and lots to do. Maybe if you let us know your interests and hobbies, we could make more suggestions - hopefully you've friendly neighbours who can help too.....

• Advertisement

well, my interests are varied.
    i love writing and photography, gardening and nature and debate.
    I am a RARE individual who is not supposed to be alive, so i can get tired easily.
    I am more and more for the slow lane these days and do not 'do' night times anymore.
    i would love to learn more about website design and photojournalism, the laptop is increasingly becoming a very dear friend.
    i have alot to say about lots of stuff and i have a lot of ideas to implement.
    right now i want to make a garden for nature and i would adore to make a garden as a showcase for disability. i personally have never seen a garden design for disability bar a few raised beds which is less than adequate to the senses.
    if anyone finds this appealing i am all for meeting up and discussing.
    when all is said, to show something positive that others can extract ideas from is what i would love to do.
    the chihuahuas are a hoot and i adore them, many may not consider them 'real dogs' but they are just a small version with 'attitude!
    nature has to be my over riding joy, i have been a member of BirdWatch Ireland and the Dublin Naturalist Field Club in a previous existance.
    i am a graduate of Art College and had a few childrens books published...now there are my interests!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

Welcome to Greystones.On the subject of raised beds the national garden exhibition centre in Kilquade that is not far from you.As far as i can remember they have a garden designed
    for people with disabilities including raised beds and sensory planting.They could put you in touch with the designer.The staff are extremely helpful.Plus it is great for an afternoon visit
    http://www.gardenexhibition.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

There's a community garden on the land near Shoreline - perhaps you could talk to them about doing some gardening there?

Also, I would really recommend getting yourself a yearly pass to Powerscourt - it enables you access to the River Walk which is really gorgeous, and not too far away.

oh yes, Kilquade garden centre wonderful place, will suss out if there is a disab garden there, its a wonderful place.
    Powerscourt, many times! great, they are good there for people with disabilities actually.
    yes, i wondered where that community garden in greystones is, i know its near the swimming pool area methinks, i have been planning to go there and have a look, defo seen it on the website when googled as someone told me about it alright.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

this might be something to look into, Mary McAlsse commissioned the head gardener at Aras Anuachtaran (sp?) to build a sense garden on the grounds, the idea being it would be enjoyable to all especially the disabled, so plants would not just be for looking at but for smelling and touching, this sounded like what you might have in mind, perhaps a little hunting on the web would reveal more about what they have done there, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Matt in IT

I don't know if you do facebook but the Community Garden have a facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/thegardengreystones/

http://www.thegarden.ie/

There's some lovely people there. Open to all.

Last year I built a much smaller raised bed garden opposite the Happy Pear to tie in with the Community Garden.
    It's made entirely from reclaimed timber. Pallets and building rubbish.
    Its a sawtooth shape to allow easy access to all of the bed. It's a Permaculture design.

Sophie from Unicorn Design grew quite a decent amount of food there. We only got the end of the season last year.

Hopefully there'll be more this year.

Advertisement