Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming HTPC build ideas

Options
  • 09-02-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

One of the perks of working for a miscellaneous (ahem :rolleyes:) semiconductor giant is the benefit of free samples and as such I am now the "owner" of a i5-750 Quadcore chip.

As good as it looks as a paper weight at work, im looking to build a gaming HTPC with it.

• Its primary function will be as HTPC in the living room so quiet is a must....low power consumption would be a bonus too.
    • Its secondary function would be as a replacement for the ps3, gaming at medium + settings at 720p. Fifa 12 would be a must. The ability to play skyrim and some fps like BF3 would be a plus as well as Dolphin emu if at all possible. When gaming low noise and power consumption wouldnt be a requirement.
    • Size would be a relatively important....prefeably somethink that could fit under the tv. Mini-itx would be preferable but I would bo m-atx if not too big and fits my needs better.
    • Naturally i would like to keep it as cheap as possible. €400 would be a nice figure.
    CPU: i5-750
    MOBO: USb 3.0 but not a priority
    GPU: ? natuarrly must fit mini-itx etc case
    HDD 1: 60 -120GB SSD
    HDD 2: Prob 1tb.....have external so this isnt a priority and can be exluded from build if need be.
    RAM: 4GB min
    CASE: mini-itx preferably, m-atx maybe. Fan/psu included would be nice
    PSU: I have a 220W Dell external power adaptor if that helps any options here?
    COOLING: ?

More of a laptop guru myself, so treat me as a newbie, any help greatly appreciated!

Additionally any strictly HTPC builda (no gaming) would would be appreciated also if i decide to go down that route. Particularly with a sexy case :D

Comments

Advertisement