Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you buy stuff off the boys

• 09-02-2012 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

the boys in the hiace van were around today selling tools but i hunted them as i always do. do ye buy stuff off them. would like to know the prices of there stuff but dont want to be encouraging them so just send them on there way. in general are they a bit cheaper than the shops?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i have a rule, if they come in to the yard and ask for the " boss man" , i dont buy off them:D really really annoys me , why cant they deal with a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Would never buy stuff off them, move them on straight away.

They would always be cheaper as they would have little overheads, probably just batteries for their torches and a crow bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Heard of one poor fool who bought a power tool off them and it was concidentally stolen from him the next day. There is a moral in the story if you look deep enough:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

whelan1 wrote: »
    i have a rule, if they come in to the yard and ask for the " boss man" , i dont buy off them:D really really annoys me , why cant they deal with a woman

Not to fond of them.
    If they do get into yard nail every thing down for a week after they leave.

there is one guy who has been coming to us for years, will take anything that doesnt work back and is good to deal with... hate some of the other guys having a good look around the yard when they come in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldnt take stuff of them if it was free. Their stuff is usually low quality. Theyre only calling to see if you have anything worth stealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

always get rid of them fast and dont be afraid to let them know they are not welcome. noting is ever straight forward with them crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

there is one guy who has been coming to us for years, will take anything that doesnt work back and is good to deal with... hate some of the other guys having a good look around the yard when they come in

is he a wexford man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

was talking to someone who is well aware of their antics. most of the goods they sell are either just cheap scrap that seems like a deal. factory rejected equipment which may work for a month or even years but you take that chance every other time its to try and clean you out one way or another.
    shotgun ready and an alsation trained specifically for the boys.
    Had a few previous incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

yessam wrote: »
    always get rid of them fast and dont be afraid to let them know they are not welcome. noting is ever straight forward with them crowd.

Couldn't put it better myself, only thing to do is clear them off and tell them you've taken their reg down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

have been dealing with the wexford lads for years,

they know I don't take or give bullsh1t and find them sound out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They tend to leave fairly lively if you tell them your name is Nally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Attie wrote: »
    Not to fond of them.
    If they do get into yard nail every thing down for a week after they leave.

So you might possibly buy a hammer and a few nails off them just to be sure?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jasas a lot of you sirs are very hard on them boys only tryin to make a livin. I do occasionally deal the wexford crowd, but give them an inch and they'd take a mile.....

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

There was ones around here selling cheap heating oil last year. A few neighbours got caught, one said I don't need any cause I just got the tank filled lately, needless to say it was drained before the morning, they shouldn't be entertained atall

weefarmer wrote: »
    There was ones around here selling cheap heating oil last year. A few neighbours got caught, one said I don't need any cause I just got the tank filled lately, needless to say it was drained before the morning, they shouldn't be entertained atall

Around here they fallow the trucks to there destination Then appear back some time later to clean it out.
    Their is no one or origination ammuie to these guierrers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Nothing beats a few good dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

fella around here thought that, his 2 dogs were beaten to a pulp. trailer and pallet load of coal taken.

stanflt wrote: »
    is he a wexford man
    ye his initials are mc, does he come to you, sound man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

"I'd love to lads, but I've no money to be spending on tools, sure I only have these ones borrowed off a mate of mine for the weekend"

Good tools will last a lifetime if treated right, so I try and avoid cheap chinese rubbish for mainstream stuff, fine for one offs.

The obvious exception is tools for losing/abusing on the farm. These are best bought in lidl, if you break it before you lose it then take it back for a refund.

I dont encourage dodgy dealers and try and get rid of them as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Most of this stuff is stolen, ffs :mad:.
    If they didn't have a market for it, they wouldn't be stealing it in the first place.
    What goes around, comes around...

A lot of what they sell nowadays isnt stolen I reckon.

It's just sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

So what happens all the stolen stuff?
    How many times have we had people on here say that they had things stolen from them? I've had an electric fence taken.
    My neighbour had his stolen twice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

pakalasa wrote: »
    So what happens all the stolen stuff?
    How many times have we had people on here say that they had things stolen from them? I've had an electric fence taken.
    My neighbour had his stolen twice.

Car boot sales on sundays I reckon is where the stolen stuff goes, there was a rumour of container loads of it going to eastern europe too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think that a lot of the stuff that goes missing when "the boys" are around is robbed by locals using "the boys" as cover. Not all of it, but a lot.

Dad bought gates off them before :rolleyes: May as well have been made of chocolate.

They tried to sell me a generator at the side of the road where I was shearing one day, I asked for a receipt and they headed off.

seanybiker wrote: »
    So you might possibly buy a hammer and a few nails off them just to be sure?
    :eek:

Antquie nails I soppose theyd be. :D:D

90% of the stuff I see being sold by the boys nowadays is new. it's off brand stuff still in its packaging.

shtil saws, honga generators, boschmann drills.

All cheap chinese knockoff sh*te.

My thinking is if you're going to steal new stuff for resale, surely you'd steal decent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

travellers have a similar outlook to arabs when it comes to women

yessam wrote: »

yes and dont think that being polite and respectfull will win any favours from them , they understand strength and nothing else

• Advertisement

homerhop wrote: »
    fella around here thought that, his 2 dogs were beaten to a pulp. trailer and pallet load of coal taken.

tinkers poisoned by dog several years ago , all because i wouldnt buy a power washer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

While they're talking to you they have the perfect excuse to look around and check your place out

No different to the old "my cat was in your garden mister" when you challenge someone outside your house

Talk to them, send them on their way and then move all your tools back down to your garage asap as if you've stuff worth taking they'll hit your place within a day or two. Probably that same night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

step 1. install yourself a good yard gate, with the option of electric motor.

step 2. dont open for anyone :D

step 3. if your going to buy off them go to there place.

If im going to buy tools i go to clara market in Offally on a sunday

(the tools i would buy would always be brand new and the same lads selling anytime im up there. Id get hatchets :rolleyes:, jacks, axel stand, trowels and hammers, racket straps etc. Never anything electrical or mechanical)

electronic gates are fine but if you have the milkman etc coming they dont really work out, or maybe i am missing something, our milkman comes at 3.30 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Give the milkman a zapper or the keypad combination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

1chippy wrote: »
    shotgun ready and an alsation trained specifically for the boys.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

ye his initials are mc, does he come to you, sound man

sound honest man

johngalway wrote: »
    I think that a lot of the stuff that goes missing when "the boys" are around is robbed by locals using "the boys" as cover. Not all of it, but a lot.
    We have one of these pr!cks here he's always about when some thing/s wrong lets on he's annoyed or has lost something as well :mad: if I get him in my yard at the wrong time I'll make it worm for him for 5 minuites.

[/QUOTE]Dad bought gates off them before :rolleyes: May as well have been made of chocolate.[/QUOTE]
    Locks and gates only stop honest men/woman.

For those that like good music but show is near over.
    http://www.northernsound.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Attie wrote: »
    Locks and gates only stop honest men/woman.

Oh for sure, I agree.

But, what I meant was that he bought some farm gates off "the boys". They were a pile of crap (as you'd expect) and rusted to bits in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Anyone who even buys a box of screws off them deserves the very worst of luck. All your doing is supporting rats who have come by their merchandise at the expense of some poor unfortunate trader or tradesman.
    If you don't like things been stolen out of your yard then have enough decency not to cash in on other peoples misfortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Their main motive in selling you something is to stakeout your yard.

Anyway, buying items from them is supporting the blackmarket unless of course they are VAT registered :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

bought gate of wicklow men one time :L best gate i've ever had ! still going now very strong and far more resonably priced a couple have been hit with wheels of the tractor and one that was pulled of the hinges was evan drove over with the oil lorry :L still 100% far better than the stuff from the local coop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I've got about 30 dogs here at any given time and all the boys who have stopped here before are scared of mine and didn't even get out of the van, never mind coming through the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Bought a Hyundai saw off them new for 120. She burnt out after 20 mins light work!:mad: Even the new tools the carpet men sell are factory rejects I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

threeball wrote: »
    Anyone who even buys a box of screws off them deserves the very worst of luck. All your doing is supporting rats who have come by their merchandise at the expense of some poor unfortunate trader or tradesman.
    If you don't like things been stolen out of your yard then have enough decency not to cash in on other peoples misfortune.

I'd have to agree with this, I was reading another thread about lads trailers going missing etc. but on the other hand others are ready to buy them is the are going cheap enough.

Advertisement