Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends xbox got banned

Options
  • 09-02-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

So today my mate turns on his xbox and it says his console has has been banned.
    He bought the xbox last february pre owned in gamestop. After he sees that he has been banned he call xbox and trys to get some more info. The xboz repo says that An offence was commited 18 months ago so it was done before my friend got the xbox. Is there anything he can do now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

He could always sell it at a car boot sale. Then buy a new shiny slim one for slim pickings. Then he could log on and find himself back into the joys of xbox live. And have a soda to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So today my mate turns on his xbox and it says his console has has been banned.
    He bought the xbox last february pre owned in gamestop. After he sees that he has been banned he call xbox and trys to get some more info. The xboz repo says that An offence was commited 18 months ago so it was done before my friend got the xbox. Is there anything he can do now
    When he turned the console on today was it the first time it was connected to Live since he bought it? Is he sure it's a console ban?

If the console has been connected to live previously and modified while doing so, it seems strange that it would only be picked up upon 18 months later. :confused:

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out too much hope unfortunately, back in 2009 Major Nelson said this on the matter...
    "This would also be a good time to remind you that the warranty on an Xbox 360 console is not transferrable and if you purchase a used console that has been previously banned, you will not be able to connect to Xbox Live," Hryb added.
    There's also this and this post which indicate they don't overturn bans in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nope unfortunately if the console has been banned there is no overturning it. If you want to check the reason behind it go Here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

CAn he sign on to his account if he gets a bew xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you're sure he's not just lying about it and it was banned before he got it i would try get an email/written deceleration of the ban from MS and take that and the receipt back to the shop.

Chances are they'll ignore him as you can't prove it's the same 360, after going to the shop write a letter (registered post) to the head office and state that he's going to go to the small claims court, again with a copy of the receipt and some acknowledgement from MS of the time it happened included.

Whether in the shop or scc he'll have a problem proving it's the same one, only €15 to do this so may be worth the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Varik wrote: »
    If you're sure he's not just lying about it and it was banned before he got it i would try get an email/written deceleration of the ban from MS and take that and the receipt back to the shop.

Chances are they'll ignore him as you can't prove it's the same 360, after going to the shop write a letter (registered post) to the head office and state that he's going to go to the small claims court, again with a copy of the receipt and some acknowledgement from MS of the time it happened included.

Whether in the shop or scc he'll have a problem proving it's the same one, only €15 to do this so may be worth the chance.
    Hes been on live for the past year

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Your sure the console wasn't modded before he got it.
    Microsoft have been known to **** up and ban people for no apparent reason from time to time.

If he still has the reciept he could go and call M$ in the shop and have the microsoft rep explain the situation to the shop over the phone,
    The receipt would prove that he bought the console after the offence was committed.
    Since the offence was commited 6 months before he bought the console from the shop the xbox was not fit for sale and he should be entitled to a refund.
    The fact thats its a year old makes it awkward though.
    Worth a shot though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

CAn he sign on to his account if he gets a bew xbox

He can as long as his Gamertag hasn't been banned separately. Console bans are normally separate. Vicxas has provided a link to the Xbox console ban forum. Ask on there as they seem to be providing details to people about their console bans from what I can see.

Advertisement