Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bamboo

Options
  • 09-02-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

What would be good fertiliser for a bamboo in a pot? Should the compost it is planted in be removed and replaced as much as possible too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

No need to replace soil and I would recommend you use a liquid feed. Any general soluble feed would be fine.

Tip: water plant first before applying feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Seeing the bamboo thread I decided to jump in - planted some in a row last year at the edge of the garden and they have made it through the winter. Previously I had trouble growing them but this last batch seem to be making it. Is there anything special I should do in the spring - cut back etc. to ensure that they grow well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

No need to replace soil and I would recommend you use a liquid feed. Any general soluble feed would be fine.

Tip: water plant first before applying feed.
    would it not be a good idea to put fresh compost they are in a container?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

would it not be a good idea to put fresh compost they are in a container?

bamboo love a deep mulch, if there's room in the pot put lots of compost on top. Later when it's growing feed with a high nitrogen fertiliser - and most importantly don't let it dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would it be possible to plant bamboo in containers sunk into the ground? I like them, but not the idea of them taking over the garden.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Would it be possible to plant bamboo in containers sunk into the ground? I like them, but not the idea of them taking over the garden.
    yes it is see here
    Note part of container needs to be above ground covered with stone

planetX wrote: »
    bamboo love a deep mulch, if there's room in the pot put lots of compost on top. Later when it's growing feed with a high nitrogen fertiliser - and most importantly don't let it dry out.
    what compost is best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

what compost is best

Homemade of course:)
    If you have to buy- something for mature plants (more fertiliser). I like John Innes composts, nice and heavy.

MarchDub wrote: »
    Seeing the bamboo thread I decided to jump in - planted some in a row last year at the edge of the garden and they have made it through the winter. Previously I had trouble growing them but this last batch seem to be making it. Is there anything special I should do in the spring - cut back etc. to ensure that they grow well?
    You could feed with a soluble feed like this as you would a tree. I think i will use this and John Innes 3 compost when i check with horticulturist at the gc

Or a slow release fertiliser like osmocote?

Advertisement