Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suits

Options
  • 09-02-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

hi....can anyone recommend a good suit shop in the cork area...city or east cork...help would be appriecated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I like Gentlemans Quaters on patrick st in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the two men in my life go to either Salingers on french church street, or Tom Murphys on patrick street. both are excellent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

what kind of prices would you be talking in these three places??
    I like Gentlemans Quaters on patrick st in cork
    Salingers on french church street, or Tom Murphys on patrick street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There are some nice ones in debanams (although i hate to admit it) if there is a sale on they are a bargin.. We called to the Suit Depot place up by Musgraves and it wasnt great, the suits on the slightly cheaper side the stitching was all bad and the others were way over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Marks And Spencer are good, because you can mix and match. Suits Distributors in Blackpool will do you a deal if you haggle. I got a very nice suit with a shirt and tie thrown in, for €160 there before Christmas. It was top quality, and compared nicely to other suits that I have bought in Savile and Fitzgeralds in the past.

Debenhams do suits as well, but I find M&S to be better over the long run. There is a place in Mahon Point as well called Best For Men which is good.

Saville is over priced in my humble opinion, apart from when they are having a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

There's a place above the Airport Roundabout in past the Bull McCabes Pub called Suit Distributers where I buy my suits, they have a great selection and nice showroom on the top floor and the suits are great quality, lots of irish esigners as well as Boss etc, and they have full tailoring serice too.

i would highly recommend them, but if its confined to the city you are looking then there are loads of places on Patricks st and there is Saville on Oliver plunkett street.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

When buying a suit, you should try to buy 1 x jacket & 2 x trousers. The trousers wear out much faster than the jacket. (Some suits are machine washable.)

It is a bit more expensive, but it's not prohibitive. Not too many places offer this option, but M&S do. I have been buying suits in M&S for 20 odd yrs, here and in UK. They have never let me down.

As an aside, you may notice that M&S mens shirts are rarely on sale - occasionally a slow selling line will have 10% off. Popular shirt styles, plain white and blue for example almost never seem to be discounted. Why? Quality. Plain and simple, € for € they are the best around.

[Absolutely no connection with M&S, apart from being a satisfied customer]

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

There isn't one decent suit shop in Cork City. Not one. Con Murphys is grand for your grandad, but they haven't stocked something fashionable since 1972. GQ is crapola also.
    The slightly less **** option if Fitzgeralds Menswear on Patrick St near BT.

There is BT of course, but the selection is very limited.

Savills on Oliver Plunkett Street used to stock some decent stuff but the staff haven't a clue and generally come across disinterested (except the eastern European guy who's dead on)

spoofilyj wrote: »
    There's a place above the Airport Roundabout in past the Bull McCabes Pub called Suit Distributers where I buy my suits, they have a great selection and nice showroom on the top floor and the suits are great quality, lots of irish esigners as well as Boss etc, and they have full tailoring serice too.

i would highly recommend them, but if its confined to the city you are looking then there are loads of places on Patricks st and there is Saville on Oliver plunkett street.

Best of luck with it.

That Suit place near the Bull McCabes in rubbish! They convinced a guy I know to buy suits for his wedding for guys with a 36/38" chest and sold him modified 42" jackets. Frickin joke of a place. Suits look ridiculous. Cowboys. Got his moola back though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've bought a few suits and I always wind up buying them in Fitzgeralds. They do a decent discount too:)

• Advertisement

vector3 wrote: »
    There isn't one decent suit shop in Cork City. Not one. Con Murphys is grand for your grandad, but they haven't stocked something fashionable since 1972. GQ is crapola also.
    The slightly less **** option if Fitzgeralds Menswear on Patrick St near BT.

There is BT of course, but the selection is very limited.

Savills on Oliver Plunkett Street used to stock some decent stuff but the staff haven't a clue and generally come across disinterested (except the eastern European guy who's dead on)

There are lots of decent suit shops in Cork City. At least ten. Con Murphys caters for all tastes, and they stock lots of fashionable suits. Fashion, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. GQ is great for what it offers, and for it's target demographics. Fitzgeralds is an excellent shop, and has a wide selection. BT has an almost unlimited selection of fashionable suits from brands such as Ralph Luren, and Armani. The staff in Savills couldn't be more helpful and are happy to share their wide knowledge with their large customer base.

There are lots of decent suit shops in Cork City. At least ten. Con Murphys caters for all tastes, and they stock lots of fashionable suits. Fashion, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. GQ is great for what it offers, and for it's target demographics. Fitzgeralds is an excellent shop, and has a wide selection. BT has an almost unlimited selection of fashionable suits from brands such as Ralph Luren, and Armani. The staff in Savills couldn't be more helpful and are happy to share their wide knowledge with their large customer base.

Con Murphys caters for 50 year old overweight men. Try finding a jacket smaller than 40" and you'd be hard pressed.

GQ is slightly better, as in it has smaller sizes, but they don't have anything modern.

I've given my opinion on Fitzgeralds already.

I don't know what section of BT you were in, but their stock is very very limited.

Savills are USELESS! Do you work for these companies? The way you've written your post sounds like marketing blurb!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 about 3 fity

EPM wrote: »
    I've bought a few suits and I always wind up buying them in Fitzgeralds. They do a decent discount too:)

i got a suit nearly 2 years ago in fitzgeralds, very happy with it. quality, price and service all good in my experience. i don't wear a suit very frequently but i've got about 20 wears out of this one and so far so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

what kind of prices would you be talking in these three places??

Sorry for taking so long to answer back just saw your quote now.

Salingers are a boutique like shop but for jeans and tshirts they were cheaper then the high street brands/names. They do suits upstairs but I've never bought there I've only seen them on my partners uncle and they look really good on him.

Tom murphys have an online shop on their website so you can price what you want in there! We bought my partners suit in there last weekend for around the €300 mark ( but it was a very good suit)

http://www.tom-murphy.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I got mine in Quils.

Con Murphys caters for 50 year old overweight men. Try finding a jacket smaller than 40" and you'd be hard pressed.................

A jacket smaller than 40" :eek:
    Confirmation wear you're looking for is it :pac:

Con Murphys caters for 50 year old overweight men. Try finding a jacket smaller than 40" and you'd be hard pressed.

GQ is slightly better, as in it has smaller sizes, but they don't have anything modern.

I've given my opinion on Fitzgeralds already.

I don't know what section of BT you were in, but their stock is very very limited.

Savills are USELESS! Do you work for these companies? The way you've written your post sounds like marketing blurb!

I don't work for any of the above listed stores. I'm just expressing my opinion, which would appear to be different to yours.

But hey, what can you do?

Also, Suits Distributors in Blackpool and Best down in Mahon Point are both in my experience prepared to haggle.

When buying a suit at the moment make sure you at least ask them to "throw in a shirt and tie," or offer €40 less than the price. Even if the price is already reduced.

Everyone is prepared to negotiate now, and if you don't ask you won't get.

They will all, without exception, take at least €20 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Bit of a thread revival , but tis easy for suits distributors to give a few quid off when they are buying the stuff for buttons . The vast majority of the brands are made up in there . Roberto Gallini , Canavaro ? sounds like a centre back pairing of some serie b Italian football side . jack Doyle brand is the same , it's made by the company not something anywhere else stocks and for good reason . very poor quality on most of their own brands too . cork does not have a great selection of suits . If you are looking for something decent quality best bet is head to Dublin or UK .

Advertisement