Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network provider??

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Not sure if I have posted this in the correct forum but here goes.
    I have recently moved into a house in a rural area in Kerry and I had a plug in modem with 02. However this does not work in the new house. I have been told the only network that I will have coverage with is ‘3’. Someone has mentioned to me that I can buy a dish and have wifi around the house but they didn’t know any further details. Can anyone suggest to me what are my options for getting network coverage in a rural area in Kerry? I like the idea of having wifi instead of the modem plugged into my laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

Hi firiesclose,

I had the same problem when I was there last year.

You actually need two devices:

1. a wireless router
    (with or without a usb connector, so that you could connect your dongle directly to the router.)
    approx €100
    http://3g-router.ie/

2. If neccessary an amplifyer.
    approx €25 - €200
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/clip-antenna-for-3g-usb-modems-universal-p18117.htm
    (you usually get what you pay for)

If you signup with the national broadband scheme you can usually get an amplifyer for free, and I think the scheme still costs €19.99/month

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

Oh and you can also get a kind of battery operated wireless router. You take the sim card out of your dongle and put it into the router and it will work like your own little wireless network wherever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭firiesclose

Thanks for all the information. thats exactly what I needed to know.

Advertisement