Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Wireless Set ups

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for a quick bit of advice from fellow techies.

I'm looking for wireless equipment recommendations for 2 wireless situations.

1) I'm placing a few wireless access points in a building. I've picked out 3 strategic locations and am looking for advice on which wireless access point to purchase. Looking for Wireless N with good indoor range at a reasonable price. The market is flooded with access points and a lot of them are pretty poor. I usually use Buffalo access points but am open to new suggestions.

2) A wireless sender/receiver pair that will send internet connection from one wired building to another wirelessly. Distance is unbroken 50m (but allow for extra)

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What kind of traffic shape,origin,destination !?
    How many devices ?
    Do you need coverage (large area of wireless cover) or distribution (less area covered but better speeds and connection) !?

Run a full WiFi spectrum analysis,you 'll be surprised to see what and how many ssid you'll find !

My best educated guess is to go for Linksys / Cisco,one main central AP in hub config back to main switch,then others installed as repeaters !
    Another set of Cisco in pair for external APs,with good signal external antennas ,in point-to-point mode!
    Then the QoS,VLan,Security,WiFi auto-channel comes as default...
    Make sure that you set for N but older devices will lose connection,so you have to drop to b/g.

Is not only the brand of the APs,but mainly the back connection,coverage,distribution,security,VLans,microwave,DECT phones,another WiFi networks,Main Powerlines beside APs,user expectation,bad user's habit,bad traffic management...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Dont forget RADIUS if you have a lot of users, setting up wpa key on a bunch of pc's is a pia.

Have a look at Engenius' ap's, http://www.engeniustech.com/ they have a range of high powered outdoors boxes and also the nifty little ones that look like smoke detectors and are PoE compatible which means no extra cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i think the reply is bouncing somewhere between the WAPs...lost in the Expansion... :)

Advertisement