Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing my motorbike to the Netherlands

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I will be moving to the Netherlands at the end of the month and I want to bring my motorbike with me to make life a little easier. That and I can't leave my baby behind.

Problem is I keep finding conflicting information about import duties and forms I need to fill out. Some places say that because I am moving the motorbike would be counted as a necessity and no duty's would need to be paid others say that there is a duty to be paid. Has anybody brought a vehicle into the Netherlands?

Also do I need to register the bike and get the Netherlands reg plate? And how would I do this.

For the information I think I will need I have:
    Full Irish driving licence (accepted in the Netherlands)
    European Cert of Conformity
    Receipt proving date of purchase (2008 if it makes a difference)
    Log/Registration book
    Road insurance but only for 3 weeks then I need to get insured over there.

Even if you can just point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vinnyirl wrote: »
    I will be moving to the Netherlands at the end of the month and I want to bring my motorbike with me to make life a little easier. That and I can't leave my baby behind.

Problem is I keep finding conflicting information about import duties and forms I need to fill out. Some places say that because I am moving the motorbike would be counted as a necessity and no duty's would need to be paid others say that there is a duty to be paid. Has anybody brought a vehicle into the Netherlands?

Also do I need to register the bike and get the Netherlands reg plate? And how would I do this.

For the information I think I will need I have:
    Full Irish driving licence (accepted in the Netherlands)
    European Cert of Conformity
    Receipt proving date of purchase (2008 if it makes a difference)
    Log/Registration book
    Road insurance but only for 3 weeks then I need to get insured over there.

Even if you can just point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

You can import it 6 months after you register with the Gemeente (City Hall)

No Rush though ;)

Just make an appointment with the RDW at your local station:
    http://www.rdw.nl/nl/particulier/internationalvisitor/import/Pages/ImportingapassengervehiclefromtheEuropeanUnion.aspx

If you owned it for more than 6 months (you have) then you do not have to pay Vehicle Registration Tax (BPM - Belasting van personenauto's en motorrijwielen)

Bike is very easy .. dont even need to swap out the headlights !!

Also, an Irish driving license is accepted for driving in the Netherlands but thats about it, you'll understand what that means when you go to buy a Vehicle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

Bike is very easy .. dont even need to swap out the headlights !!

Also, an Irish driving license is accepted for driving in the Netherlands but thats about it, you'll understand what that means when you go to buy a Vehicle :(

Thanks for the info :)

The problem I am having now is insurance, I cannot get insured from here if I am not coming back and I can not get insured over there until the bike is registered. So my only option is to lie to my current insurance company here and tell them I am coming back. This is so stupid I should be able to do this without being dishonest.

Unfortunately I do have to change the headlights, a lot of modern bikes with two headlights do not point straight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

vinnyirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :)

The problem I am having now is insurance, I cannot get insured from here if I am not coming back and I can not get insured over there until the bike is registered. So my only option is to lie to my current insurance company here and tell them I am coming back. This is so stupid I should be able to do this without being dishonest.

Unfortunately I do have to change the headlights, a lot of modern bikes with two headlights do not point straight :(

Course you can, how are you to know if your going to come back or not, your insurance company are required by EU Law to cover you Third Party only for the Duration of the Policy.

Your intention is to stay in the Netherlands, you can only give them the information you have at the moment. Register it at your parents house or something on the VLC Cert.

You'll have real problems getting insurance straight away in the first six months as you won't be seen as registered until your there 158 days from the date you signed on with the Gemeente.

For insurance comparisons try www.independer.nl. I got a good deal with Budgio.

Also keep your NCB letter, they'll accept that here :)

Advertisement