Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rear drum question

• 10-02-2012 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

One of my rear drum brakes(drivers side) has developed a squeek in the last month or so. What should I do? Are they hard to fix/replace? Car is a '97 lancer 1.3.

Was thinking of just ignoring it as i don't think they do much braking anymore:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If they are "squealing" when braking then more than likely the pad is worn. Although, it may be other items.

Pads are cheap I'd recommend you check and replace them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

jayok wrote: »
    If they are "squealing" when braking then more than likely the pad is worn. Although, it may be other items.

Pads go with disc brakes. Drum brakes require shoes and they are generally more expensive than pads.

A set of shoes for the rear of your car seem to be about €30 on micksgarage.ie.

As regards changing them. On a car that age, they may not be that straightforward, due to seizure and corrosion. As brakes are critical, I would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

should have explained better. They dont squeel when i'm brakingan they seem to work OK. they just squeek when im driving along slowly. Any idea what causes is this

Avns1s wrote: »
    Pads go with disc brakes. Drum brakes require shoes and they are generally more expensive than pads.

Ah -the difficulties of speed reading and not seeing the word "drum" :)

should have explained better. They dont squeel when i'm brakingan they seem to work OK. they just squeek when im driving along slowly. Any idea what causes is this

Possibly that then they are not retracting fully from the inside of the hub. Could be a stuff / aged spring, rust, etc.

Are you sure it's the brakes and not something else?

• Advertisement

Ah -the difficulties of speed reading and not seeing the word "drum" :)

No bother. I know the feeling!! Fair play for trying to help. I hope my post didnt come across as having a go because I certainly didnt intend to.

I hope my post didnt come across as having a go because I certainly didnt intend to.

Not at all!

As jayok said, they may not be retracting fully. The handbrake mechanism may be responsible for this. Either the activating lever on the shoes or perhaps the cable could be sticking. How does the handbrake feel as you pull up the lever? How high does it come up?

If it's been a while since the shoes were changed, the linings might be partially coming or lifting off the actual shoe itself, as was the case in a car I had to sort last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Possibly that then they are not retracting fully from the inside of the hub. Could be a stuff / aged spring, rust, etc.

Are you sure it's the brakes and not something else?

All of these and the handbrake mechanism / adjusters too. Could be binding there.
    As said before, brakes are critical to safety. If in any doubt, take to qualified tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Avns1s you beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Avns1s you beat me to it!

I wish there was a prize for first!!! :D:D:D

As jayok said, they may not be retracting fully. The handbrake mechanism may be responsible for this. Either the activating lever on the shoes or perhaps the cable could be sticking. How does the handbrake feel as you pull up the lever? How high does it come up?

If it's been a while since the shoes were changed, the linings might be partially coming or lifting off the actual shoe itself, as was the case in a car I had to sort last week.

Tightened the handbrake there about about a year ago and I've only had this problem for about two months. I'll have to get her up on a stand and have a look. Cheers lads. Have an idea of what to look out for now.

Tightened the handbrake there about about a year ago and I've only had this problem for about two months. I'll have to get her up on a stand and have a look. Cheers lads. Have an idea of what to look out for now.

The fact that you needed to tighten the handbrake might indicate that the (presumably automatic) adjusters might be seized or partially seized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭d o'c

your shoes are rubbing on the drums because you have adjusted the cable too tight. If you jack up the back and try and turn the wheel by hand with handbrake off you'll find it's sticking.
    reverse your tensioning until you can turn the wheel by hand.

The fact that you've got this slack could be down to the adjuster within the drum sticking and not advancing as the shoes wear. The adjuster works similar to a pawl in a rachet, increments are small relative to time, so sticking/seizure is common. A tight spot as the wheel is turned could be down to drum wear.

I'd back off the cable, and take it to someone to take the drums off for a proper check. If you wish to do it yourself, you may have to reverse the adjuster through the access hole at the back of the drum.

use axle stands if crawling underneath

d o'c wrote: »
    your shoes are rubbing on the drums because you have adjusted the cable too tight. If you jack up the back and try and turn the wheel by hand with handbrake off you'll find it's sticking.
    reverse your tensioning until you can turn the wheel by hand.

Cheers done this today. I must have adjusted the handbrake to tight the last time (at the lever) All sorted! Thanks for your help lads. The only thing I would add is to pull the handbrake up and down every time you adjust to let it settle and chock the front wheels and leave it in gear.

Advertisement