Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal HDD transfer

Options
  • 10-02-2012 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can I move my internal HDD to another PC with all the info on it? From my understanding when you install an internal HDD its formated is it not? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Will it become a system drive in the new computer? (will you be installing windows on it)

If yes then you should really be formatting the drive before you put it into the new computer.

If no you can plug it in a "slave" drive and access the files just fine. Just make sure the computer is set to boot off the correct drive, especially if windows is on the moved drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Captain Daf

fionny wrote: »
    Will it become a system drive in the new computer? (will you be installing windows on it)

If yes then you should really be formatting the drive before you put it into the new computer.

If no you can plug it in a "slave" drive and access the files just fine. Just make sure the computer is set to boot off the correct drive, especially if windows is on the moved drive.

No its not going to be the drive. But the OS is on it because its from a broke PC. I have a secondary HDD slot for it to go into in my working PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Should be fine once you're not booting off it. You may just need to make sure it's not the default boot drive in the BIOS. It should just show up as drive D or whatever then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if your old drive is an IDE type drive you will need to set the jumper on it it to slave mode.

Advertisement