Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout on the Donegal Town Bypass

Options
  • 10-02-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Quick question. On the Donegal town bypass as you drive past the Millpark Hotel and into the roundabout which lane should you be in if you intend to take the second exit for killybegs. Looking at it you could say that you are turning right but most roundabouts where you take the second exit you stay in the left most of the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

doc_17 wrote: »
    Quick question. On the Donegal town bypass as you drive past the Millpark Hotel and into the roundabout which lane should you be in if you intend to take the second exit for killybegs. Looking at it you could say that you are turning right but most roundabouts where you take the second exit you stay in the left most of the time.

Iirc you go by the markings / arrows on the lanes themselves as they overrule the left lane for first 2 exits right lane for other exit rule. So right lane for for killybegs .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

While we're on the subject of roundabouts in Donegal Town........when you are coming from Sligo direction and come to the roundabout, its the LEFT LANE for Donegal Town and the RIGHT LANE for straight on towards Ballybofey. It drives me insane to see the amount of near misses on this bit of road all because people dont use common sense!!! :mad:

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

doc_17 wrote: »

Iirc you go by the markings / arrows on the lanes themselves as they overrule the left lane for first 2 exits right lane for other exit rule. So right lane for for killybegs .

Are there markings on the road or signposts to give the guidance for which lane to be in? Haven't noticed them before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Don't really know that side of the town, but if this is the roundabout there were no signs or markings as to correct lanes when the google street view car was last there. But as I say, I don't know the area so they may have been changed.
    In this case it should be stay in the left lane for 2nd exit.
    yQ6nS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Don't really know that side of the town, but if this is the roundabout there were no signs or markings as to correct lanes when the google street view car was last there. But as I say, I don't know the area so they may have been changed.
    yQ6nS.jpg

as far as i know its not a standard round about as in 3 6 9 12 exits. but in the eyes of the law and the rules of the road you must bear left for the first two exits and right for the other two unless other ways stated useing road markings or signs but i may be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

If you do keep left for the first 2 exits though you can be caught out very badly at times. Nearly everyone who takes the second exit is in the right hand lane and they think anyone in the left lane is turning left and into the town so it could lead to 2 cars thinking they have right of way. Bit of signage would help things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

This is a debate my entire family has again and again. I keep on meaning to ring the garda station in Donegal town to get some clarification on it. Have had some near misses on it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

round abouts work by angles unless signed otherwise, first thing i asked Martin Pryal all those years ago while learning to drive; what lane for the road past the mill park when coming out of town? right was the answer, same angles for coming off the bypass, so right again.

and for the love of god indicate!!!! again if the exit is past 12.00 (no matter which it is), you are turning right, so at least have the indicator on so people know what your doing even if in the wrong lane, left on once you pass the exit before yours.

those RSA ads boil my blood, if people cant use a basic 3,6,9,12 roundabout they shouldnt be on the road to begin withmad.gif rant over. (i just sick of having a car on my side when going home)

le badly drawn lane guide
    192296.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

While we're on the subject of roundabouts in Donegal Town........when you are coming from Sligo direction and come to the roundabout, its the LEFT LANE for Donegal Town and the RIGHT LANE for straight on towards Ballybofey. It drives me insane to see the amount of near misses on this bit of road all because people dont use common sense!!! :mad:

Rant over.
    Says who?

If there are no markings to suggest otherwise, then standard roundabout rules apply. So, using that logic, whether you were reared on 1st and 2nd exit being left lane, or reared on any lane before 12 O'Clock being left, then both apply, so coming from Sligo, it's left lane for both exits, right lane to go into the field gates or 360 back to Laghey :)

This has caused much debate, I even emailed DCC for their take, but of course, got no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

byte wrote: »
    Says who?

If there are no markings to suggest otherwise, then standard roundabout rules apply. So, using that logic, whether you were reared on 1st and 2nd exit being left lane, or reared on any lane before 12 O'Clock being left, then both apply, so coming from Sligo, it's left lane for both exits, right lane to go into the field gates or 360 back to Laghey :)

This has caused much debate, I even emailed DCC for their take, but of course, got no response.

Ah lad come on, ya know what i'm saying makes sense!!!

• Advertisement

Ah lad come on, ya know what i'm saying makes sense!!!
    i think he is just making the point that DCC needs to do a proper job and paint a few arrows on the road. in the current layout, legally someone in the right lane who goes straight on is in the wrong no matter how stupid it is!
    it wouldnt be too hard to paint d'gal only on the left lanes of the 2 roundabout entrances in question (here and op's), and k'begs only on the left by micky macs when coming out of town...
    although lets face it 2/3 could be solved without paint and proper driver education... actually i see the RSA edited the add where i ranted about the roundabout, they just say left/right now rather than first, second etc exits. linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Common sense has to come into it too, if you see this sign as you approach the roundabout (below), then you know there are only two exits and so you should be in the right lane to take the second exit.

don_roundabout.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Senna wrote: »
    Common sense has to come into it too, if you see this sign as you approach the roundabout (below), then you know there are only two exits and so you should be in the right lane to take the second exit.

don_roundabout.jpg
    Common sense indeed, though it goes against the ROTR, which you're supposed to follow unless markings or signage indicate otherwise. Also if you're in the right lane, you have to give way to cars on the outside lane anyway (as an aside, having 2 lanes on entering the bypass to Lidl road would have been nice).

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

yQ6nS.jpg

Yes stay in the left lane. There are four exits on this roundabout.

Yes stay in the left lane. There are four exits on this roundabout.
    overshoot wrote: »
    i see the RSA edited the add where i ranted about the roundabout, they just say left/right now rather than first, second etc exits. linky

nothing to do with exit number homer, watch the first 30 seconds of that RSA link, its left lane for left (and straight ahead), right lane for right unless signed otherwise. No signage so right.

Advertisement