Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kilkenny advertiser closing

Options
  • 10-02-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

just heard the kilkenny advertiser is closing with the loss of 8 jobs, sad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 liabhroidi

Very sad. Nice crew there but the Reporter was giving away pages for 80 euros for a full page so it was very hard to compete. Below cost selling. Reporter is supposedly backed with Belfast Telegraph pull. It's rubbish, but it has skewed the local advertising scene. It can't continue itself either for longterm like that.
    Advertiser was there for almost seven years and was doing ok until Reporter came along. Best of luck to the staff there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Bad news. Back to paying for firelighters so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Sad news but not a surprise. This is no climate for local papers, especially not relatively recent ones. I imagine it was only the fact there were other Advertisers around the country that kept the Kilkenny one going so long. And despite the backing of John Sheils (ex Kilkenny Voice), the Reporter can't possibly be making money. Is it possible that the People might eventually go to the wall? Its parent company is not doing well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I will miss the advertiser, I used to read it online. I don't think it was that long ago they were looking for sales staff. Looks like you guys are my only source of local news now.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Feel bad as I didnt even know Kilkenny had an Advertiser :(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

That's terrible news, always liked getting it in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sad to hear but not unexpected.

Can never say I patiently awaited it's arrival every week. It was the kind of paper that you read late at night after all the other papers in the house had been dumped in the bin earlier on that day. It was either that or the back of the Cornflakes box, but the content on it has regressed seriously in recent years so it was generally the Advertiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Now I can't fap over the 'street style' column anymore:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Plug wrote: »
    Now I can't fap over the 'street style' column anymore:(

Hi! I hope I was the best you ever had. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hi! I hope I was the best you ever had. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Shame I used to look forward to getting that through the door every Friday.

Advertisement