Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in Karma?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

Yea I was in karma last night, I do believe theres 2 which I believe I was in a few times.

Seriously tho, I have a story very similar to that, except it was when I was 15 and only lasted a few years. Partners locked up now, I dont think much of any of that tho, when ya die ya die.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

Seeing good hearted honest people suffering through things like cancer and the likes can really make something like the idea of karma seem very trivial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Retired.
    I am looking for a house to buy and let out.

If you really believe in Karma you should donate your ill gotten gains to charity. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Probably

Karma is action, and Vipaka, fruit or result, is its reaction.
    As we sow, we reap somewhere and sometime, in this life or in a future birth. What we reap today is what we have sown either in the present or in the past.
    Karma is a law in itself, which operates in its own field without the intervention of any external, independent ruling agency.
    I believe in it unquestionably.

Well I am a Christian not a Hindu so I don't believe in karma

Christians believe in karma as well:

Proverbs 22:8
    He who sows wickedness reaps trouble, and the rod of his fury will be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'm often amused by people who say things like ''That's Karma, innit?'' as if it's a demonstrable truth accepted by everyone, as opposed to the fantastic rubbish it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

<---Punches OP in face for being a drug dealer.

**** karma. :D

My cat just gave me 3 huge scratches across me face. Is that Karma for the above comment?

P.S. Cats don't like being lifted above your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Why was Johnny Foreigner banned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Do you believe in karma?
    I am 35 years old on Wednesday, and when I look back over my life most of the people I knew are either in jail or the grave. I suppose you could call that karma.
    Don't get me wrong, I am no angel myself. At 15 years old in 1992 I was dealing 100 Ecstacy tablets every Saturday night at raves in London. By 17 I had made enough to buy my first VW Golf GTI, at a time when my parents couldn't even afford to pay for my driving lessons.
    Just think about that for a second, 100 pills x £10. I was selling £1000 of E per week. 52 weeks of the year. I never stopped, £52,000 per year. Even though I was giving my supplier 50% of my take, I was still clearing £500 in a night. More than my father was earning in a week at that time. It didn't take long for the money to corrupt me.
    By 19 I had left home and become deeply involved. I became a supplier to dealers myself. That's when the line between fantasy and reality became blurred. Some of the things we did were psychotic. We were paying doormen massive amounts for protection and pitches in clubs to deal, and there were other dealers trying to rob your money and stock. Suppliers going to jail, or turning into Police informants. Things began to spiral out of control, and I saw my partners doing serious jail time. Nothing stopped me though, it all seemed surreal, like an occupational hazard.
    Sometimes it was luck, sometimes chance that kept me away from jail or the grave. I remember one week having tonsillitis and for the only Saturday in a year I gave the club a miss. That was the night the club got raided and lost its licence. I watched the news the next day and couldn't believe my luck. Tonsillitis had saved me doing some serious jail time. If it had been any other Saturday night I would have had hundreds of pills on me.
    I always wondered how some of us ended up in jail or the grave, and I was the lucky one. There were times when I came very close to both.
    The thing is 3 years ago I decided to quit when I was ahead. I retired from my old life and moved from London to Ireland to start a new life.
    Now when I look back over the last 20 years, from 15 to 35 it seems surreal. If there was karma I would be in jail or the grave for the things I have got away with.
    All I have left of those times are my memories, my liberty, and my old Rolex watch.

if that be the truth right about it...

Soe of us love drug related success stories :pac: well you know what i mean :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

nice story op, but no i don't believe in karma, its a dumb concept.

i've heard of instances where ambulance drivers have died in the line of duty and the same for gardai. if we are to apply the concept of karma to such instances such people imo would be the least likely to get their comeupens. the same go for parents and family of suicide victims and the like. we all make our own choices in life, some out of necessity and some out of greed but if ive learnt anything from life, it is that nature favours the greedy, or as gordon gekko puts it ''greed is good''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D Selling dodgy E,s to a mod :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I guess I see "karma" as another sort of religion.

I'm not religious. But I try to treat other people decently, because it's only right, and because that's the way I was raised - to have respect and courtesy for others. I don't behave like that just to win a place in some afterlife!

Similarly, with karma ... When I do nice, charitable, decent things - it's because I want to! I don't expect any equivalent future reward for any good things I do ... That would somehow take the goodness out of it, I think!

Domo230 wrote: »
    My (rather limited) understanding of Karma is that the concept is very different than people imagine it to be.

How people see Karma
    1. Help old lady across the street and get good karma.
    2. Win the lotto next week and become rich.

But as far as I know it's not meant to work like this.

The real concept of karma

1. Work hard at your job and try better yourself thus building positive karma
    2. Get a promotion for your hard work or use your newly gained experience to found your own business which due to your experience is successful and makes you rich.

So do I believe in karma - absolutely.
    Just not Karma in the sense most people seem to think of it.

what if life throws you a curveball and you screwup and get punished for it for the rest of your life? that can happen you know, and its then you'll wish you've done things differently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Domo230 wrote: »
    The real concept of karma

1. Work hard at your job and try better yourself thus building positive karma
    2. Get a promotion for your hard work or use your newly gained experience to found your own business which due to your experience is successful and makes you rich.
    Yes, it all worked out rather well for Sean Quinn, didn't it?

*facepalmage*

Law of Karma = That we receive what we give. That all our actions reflect back upon us, either in this world or in the subsequent ones.
    Just imagine the lifetimes of anguish and torment that Bill Gates had to endure to finally achieve Billionaire Geek status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Not a chance is there karma. I've seen too many bad things happen to good people to believe in that sh1te.

It's hilarious that people equate wealth with good karma. All subjective I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Karma or even the buddhist version is all a load of mumbo jumbo.

But as others have said, if you're a dick, you'll find others will treat you like a dick. If you're a nice guy, people will try to go out of their way to help you.

Personally, I think half of the success I've had in life was down to people giving me a chance because I was a nice guy. The other 50% was down to hard work and natural ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

no. it's just another convenient human construction...

karma was in short supply for the poor Italian lad who died last weekend while playing soccer. of course there are countless other examples where the most decent of people, have been dealt an appalling lot in life.

I don't. Unless the amount of crap I've had to deal with in my life will be somehow balanced out by a massive amount of happiness soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

There's no doubt about karma. Over the years I have seen the worst b*stards getting their cumuppance duly dealt. And good people do get rewards. It's society's and the universe's way of setting things even.

No doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Some people have had to deal with so much ****. I mean like kids brought up in Industrial schools, hardly a chance for a lot of them after that start. Children brought up by abusive parents etc, you know the endless list.

How can karma apply there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I also jacked in London and moved to Ireland to live a simpler life. I left at 19:P OP, probably just worked a bit harder than you:D(feckin one day a week, pfft) Maybe the Karma that you are receiving by being the one who got away comes from what is in your heart(yeah yeah, call me a hippie)- there are loads of evil bastid drug dealers who would slit your throat for €100, maybe you were just a straight dealer? If you treated people fairly, I doubt if the God of Karma cares what line of work you follow. I also doubt if the universe has a strong position on "E, good or bad?". Believe in Karma? Yep, I do. I now have a wife I love, kids, and a business on the right side of the tracks. Most of my old mates are dead, or like me, very much changed for the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Some people have had to deal with so much ****. I mean like kids brought up in Industrial schools, hardly a chance for a lot of them after that start. Children brought up by abusive parents etc, you know the endless list.

How can karma apply there ?

The most of us think of karma as the one stop shop of "what goes round comes round" and "long runs the fox", which for the most of us, that's ok. But the bigger picture in terms of karma in the Buddhist sense etc. looks at it a bit differently.

I totally agree there is pain and terrible suffering bestowed onto some people. And that's ****e. All I can really hope that somewhere in the greater scheme of things, that this pain is replaced or balanced out with the good, somewhere, somehow.

All I know is that in cases where I never thought wrong-doers would suffer, now I have seen how life really does throw back at you what you put out there.

Just my tuppence worth, right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

Thank you for your tuppence worth. Appreciated : )

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Karma is a universial law of cause and effect. Its not something you belive in. Its not a concept. If an astroid hit the earth tomorrow and destroyed all life on it, there would be still Karma.
    If you can show me an effect that has not got a cause than karma would not exist. But all effects have a cause and thats karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Karma is a universial law of cause and effect. Its not something you belive in. Its not a concept. If an astroid hit the earth tomorrow and destroyed all life on it, there would be still Karma.
    If you can show me an effect that has not got a cause than karma would not exist. But all effects have a cause and thats karma.
    ^ Child born in sub-Saharan Africa, lives in starvation for a short while before dying of malaria. Go.

Dave! wrote: »
    ^ Child born in sub-Saharan Africa, lives in starvation for a short while before dying of malaria. Go.
    Think about it, what effect has no cause?

Another way of putting it, show me one thing that came into existance of its own being. Its all cause and effect.

Sounds like your definition of karma is rather mundane and uninteresting then... "Stuff happens", end of conversation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

realies wrote: »

:D Selling dodgy E,s to a mod :D;)
    Some would say that's karma...funny I was just about to ask

Dave! wrote: »
    Sounds like your definition of karma is rather mundane and uninteresting then... "Stuff happens", end of conversation
    Stuff happens, yes stuff happens but theres a cause to stuff happening.
    Look around you, can you point out anything that just happened without a cause. Its science not hocus pocus.
    If you think effects just happen out of tin air than you are missing the whole reality of existance.
    There is no winning or losing here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

No, I'm not a moron.

Says what you type of people are really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I'm not a believer in Karma and Dharma but I can see the appeal.
    But most people don't understand it or eve know that Dharma is what balances Karma and the philosophy of them in the original Vedic concepts.

I think the notion of a person's Wyrd is more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Robert Edmonds

No, many people are jerks and get away with it far too frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I want to believe in Karma!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Think about it, what effect has no cause?

The big bang?

Sharrow wrote: »
    I'm not a believer in Karma and Dharma but I can see the appeal.
    But most people don't understand it or eve know that Dharma is what balances Karma and the philosophy of them in the original Vedic concepts.

I think the notion of a person's Wyrd is more interesting

The Dharma balances the Karma WTF.
    Thats like someone posting on motors that they use concrete to fuel their car.
    People on here give their opinions without even the slightest knowledge
    about a subject.
    Oh if I throw in Dharma and Karma in the one sentence people will think I
    know something.
    At least try look up what Dharma means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Yes. I do. And I admit I have no idea what dharma is , so it's off to google I go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I believe in unicorns, leprechauns, the tooth fairy , Santa & God also :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

George W Bush is a perfect example that there is no Karma, no justice and probably no God.

Grayson wrote: »
    The big bang?

What am I a scientist. Of course there was a cause to the big bang.
    Scientists believe there was one big bang that caused the universe.
    They cant mesure beyond that big bang.
    That does not mean that there was no cause, it just means that they
    haven`t found out a way to look beyond it.
    And who`s to say the big bang happened only once.
    Big bang-expansion-contraction-Big bang-expansion-contraction-Big bang-expansion-contraction-on and on and on.
    Like the repetitive breathing cycle.
    Nature is repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I don't believe in karma - many bastards died of old age in their sleep and many innocent ones violently by no blame of their own.
    It's all about you and the circumstances shaping your life. If the US haven't joined the Allies, Adolf would certainly have died a celebrated old man. When a young baby dies in sleep or children die of cancer what have they done to deserve that? Nothing.
    If the OP grew up surrounded by drug dealers, the fact that many of them are dead or in jail is simple statistics and the way they earn their living. The fact that he managed to avoid that is accidental luck but nothing to do with karma. Even the most stupid muppets can get lucky and waltz through their lives unscathed.
    So no, there's no karma. If you leave your house and a car hits you it's not because you were a bad boy, it's because you didn't look to your right before crossing the street.

A simple version of karma. Look around you right now, pick out anyone thing
    that you see in the room or maybe out in the garden. All phemonema has cause. You can travel the Universe and you wont find something without cause.
    Oh yes there is one thing, when the magician pulls the rabbit out of his hat;)
    If you want revenge Karma than turn on the TV and watch the A team.
    But the grown up Karma works at its own pace and sometimes that pace can take many life times. So sit back and just watch the karma unfold.

haminka wrote: »
    I don't believe in karma - many bastards died of old age in their sleep and many innocent ones violently by no blame of their own.
    It's all about you and the circumstances shaping your life. If the US haven't joined the Allies, Adolf would certainly have died a celebrated old man. When a young baby dies in sleep or children die of cancer what have they done to deserve that? Nothing.
    If the OP grew up surrounded by drug dealers, the fact that many of them are dead or in jail is simple statistics and the way they earn their living. The fact that he managed to avoid that is accidental luck but nothing to do with karma. Even the most stupid muppets can get lucky and waltz through their lives unscathed.
    So no, there's no karma. If you leave your house and a car hits you it's not because you were a bad boy, it's because you didn't look to your right before crossing the street.
    You dont believe in karma but you believe in luck. Well good luck and bad luck are like good karma and bad karma. Some people can do bad things but still have a lot of good karma but they can burn up their good luck but it might take a life time to do it.

• Advertisement

Stuff happens, yes stuff happens but theres a cause to stuff happening.
    Look around you, can you point out anything that just happened without a cause. Its science not hocus pocus.
    If you think effects just happen out of tin air than you are missing the whole reality of existance.
    There is no winning or losing here.

I still don't know what you're on about.

There are physical laws that came into force when the universe came into existance, and "stuff happens" within those laws. At a high level the laws of the universe are the "cause" that you're talking about.

No need to introduce mystical words or philosophies here. If you've got a specific theory which you can support with evidence on how karma is a new physical force or law, then write it up and get it peer reviewed and you'll get a Nobel prize.
    The Dharma balances the Karma WTF.
    Thats like someone posting on motors that they use concrete to fuel their car.
    People on here give their opinions without even the slightest knowledge
    about a subject.
    Oh if I throw in Dharma and Karma in the one sentence people will think I
    know something.
    At least try look up what Dharma means.

Can't help but laugh at you getting angry that someone has the wrong definition of some mystical notion which has no actual scientific definition... Like it's a universally agreed idea!

Ok Dave your a skeptic. For you things just happen.
    For me things happen because of a cause.
    When did I introduce mystical words or philosophies.

The German killed the Jews and the Jews killed the Arabs and the Arabs killed
    the hostages, Is there any wonder that the monkey is confused.

can anyone who believes in karma explain to me why Jesus Christ was cruicifed? if he was such a good person then why did he suffer the death of a tyrant?

i think the reason why some people believe in karma is because it provides them some false sense of security, that 'things will work out in the end kind of thing'. a false hope you could call it, where people will leave moral decissions to chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Big bang-expansion-contraction-Big bang-expansion-contraction-Big bang-expansion-contraction-on and on and on.
    Like the repetitive breathing cycle.
    Nature is repetitive.

The Big Bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

You dont believe in karma but you believe in luck. Well good luck and bad luck are like good karma and bad karma. Some people can do bad things but still have a lot of good karma but they can burn up their good luck but it might take a life time to do it.

Luck for me is just a coincidental play of circumstances which in that case were positive for you. Bad luck for me is the opposite. But I consider both accidental and random.

• Advertisement
Advertisement