Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in Karma?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I'm a Buddhist and the more I learn about Budhism the greater is my belief in Karma.
    Do on to others and remain positive usually good things follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

'Karma' is a mystical word/philosophy, not a scientific one.

That groups of people, states, etc., go to war is a complicated topic with factors to consider including history, socio-economic climate, political situation, leadership at a given time, and others. These factors emerge as a result of us being a social primate species and all of the associated psychological and physical factors.

Whittling it down to "it's just karma" doesn't begin to scratch the surface of cause and effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I believe in Blarma, it gives meaning to all my actions while not having to choose a religion/god to do so, I suppose its just like Karma but ehm, yeah, I'm a Bluddhist.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Dave! wrote: »

That groups of people, states, etc., go to war is a complicated topic with factors to consider including history, socio-economic climate, political situation, leadership at a given time, and others. These factors emerge as a result of us being a social primate species and all of the associated psychological and physical factors.

Whittling it down to "it's just karma" doesn't begin to scratch the surface of cause and effect.

Please answer me this, does phemonema have a cause
    our multiple causes?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Sappa wrote: »
    I'm a Buddhist and the more I learn about Budhism the greater is my belief in Karma.
    Do on to others and remain positive usually good things follow.

This is not about karma, this is about you respecting others and the others respecting you and behaving accordingly based on your behaviour. This doesn't mean though that you won't get mugged on the street by someone who wasn't impressed by your good vibrations. This wouldn't mean you had bad karma just that you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are not creating a positive karma for yourself by being nice to each other, you are creating a positive environment but that won't protect you from accidents, bad people and sickness.

Dave! wrote: »

Karma is not a mystical word, in the east it was known for thousands of years. Its put in a simple way as cause and effect.
    Yes Karma is complicated, even countrys can have their own karma.
    Long after you and I live, long after all religions and people die off.
    There will still be Karma. Its not a philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

haminka wrote: »
    This is not about karma, this is about you respecting others and the others respecting you and behaving accordingly based on your behaviour. This doesn't mean though that you won't get mugged on the street by someone who wasn't impressed by your good vibrations. This wouldn't mean you had bad karma just that you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. You are not creating a positive karma for yourself by being nice to each other, you are creating a positive environment but that won't protect you from accidents, bad people and sickness.
    I said usually,if everything went perfect in your life you would be the luckiest person in the world.
    We all have encountered struggles in our lives but by being positive and doing good in your life you limit your exposure to negative events unfortunately we cannot control certain sicknesses but by eating healthy etc we can limit them,if your constantly putting yourself in negative situations your going to end up with negative results.
    Put Garbage into your thoughts and get garbage back out effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

All I have left of those times are my memories, my liberty, and my old Rolex watch.

How much for the Rolex? A Submariner is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

If anyone is interested, I am selling the option for karmic re-alignment.

PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Sappa wrote: »
    I said usually,if everything went perfect in your life you would be the luckiest person in the world.
    We all have encountered struggles in our lives but by being positive and doing good in your life you limit your exposure to negative events unfortunately we cannot control certain sicknesses but by eating healthy etc we can limit them,if your constantly putting yourself in negative situations your going to end up with negative results.
    Put Garbage into your thoughts and get garbage back out effect.

No, it is about positive choices in your eating and living and thinking. Still, you can live as healthily as you can or be positive like a little miss sunshine and you can get sick. But it is all rational and easy to be explained and done and there is nothing mythical about it. Instead of karma you can call it positive choices and the result and the fact that it can be all explained in a rational way will be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Getting tonsilitis on the night a club is raided is not Karma.
    That's a lucky coincidence.

A car thief getting his wallet stolen is karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

Formosa wrote: »
    If anyone is interested, I am selling the option for karmic re-alignment.

PM me.

You can't sell that! Karma can only be re-aligned by the cosmos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

OP, any yolks?

Edit: Gah, he's been banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Please answer me this, does phemonema have a cause
    our multiple causes?
    Which phenomena?

Yes, phenomena have single causes or multiple causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Probably

haminka wrote: »
    Instead of karma you can call it positive choices and the result and the fact that it can be all explained in a rational way will be the same.

Positive choices are just a fraction of karma. Why call karma something less than what it actually is?

seamus wrote: »
    Which phenomena?

Which phenomena has just a single cause??????

Which phenomena?

Yes thank you Seamus.
    Some people on here think that things just happen (accidents).
    But if someone bumps into these people in their car.
    Than theres no accidents, theres someone at fault and they will bring you to court and sue you. Try telling them it was just an accident and they will
    soon tell you that there is no such thing as an accident. And the court will find out the cause of the so called accidents. Which is right. If we investgate anything long enough we will find a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

why was johnny foreigner banned???

Probably wrote: »
    I was just trying to simplify the question where someone who could not grasp karma might get where its comming from.

• Advertisement

**** Karma, if it does exist, we have it the wrong way round.
    Those who deserve bad karma usually get good karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably wrote: »
    Your post is the result of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I don't believe in karma as such but I do believe in the golden rule which is central to all major world religions and others, i.e. do unto others.

BTW, the OP obviously had inside knowledge about the raid and left England because he knew he had hung some dangerous people out to dry. :cool:

I was just trying to simplify the question where someone who could not grasp karma might get where its comming from.
    Right. Karma is an incredibly difficult concept for someone who doesn't understand the basic principles of cause and effect.

Your post is the result of mine.
    But it's more than just that innit? My post is a result of yours, which is a result of this forum being created, which is a result of someone 's idea of building a community, and so on. No phenomena has but a single cause. It's all intertwined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I believe in life after love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Id like to believe in karma but life has thaught me that chaos levels lifes playing field rather then every action having an equel and opposite reaction.

Ie I subscribe to '**** happens' and not karma.

Advertisement