Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom, Meteor, Emobile users - Laptop data breach.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

On meteor.ie

As a goodwill gesture, we will credit the accounts of affected customers with one month mobile bill rental applied on March bills, for the inconvenience which this has caused. If in the unlikely event that a customer suffers a loss as a direct consequence of this incident, which is in excess of the goodwill gesture amount, please contact us on our freephone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any idea when you'll be notified of a breach? if im one of the customers im gonna hit the F***ing roof!

If you haven't been notified by now you're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If you haven't been notified by now you're fine.

Has the data commisioner made this call or is this Meteor saying this?

Are Meteor notifying all customers who's details were on the laptop(s) or just those with bank details on them? getting the feeling it is just the latter..

Even if it is just my MSISDN on the laptop I want to know about it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

hobochris wrote: »
    Are Meteor notifying all customers who's details were on the laptop(s) or just those with bank details on them? getting the feeling it is just the latter..

Even the Eircom rep on boards is hazy about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77018216&postcount=12

hobochris wrote: »
    Has the data commisioner made this call or is this Meteor saying this?

Even if it is just my MSISDN on the laptop I want to know about it!!

Meteor said it on their Twitter a/c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Borntodie

Hi!

I'm also impacted by this?

Is there a chance for anyone to advise how to sue the company?

You can also send me a private msg....

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lukokanuko

I'm in the same situation as you, going to really push them to leave the contract, it's ridiculous, who do we have to contact to do so does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Just found out I'm also affected, raging. Didn't recieve any phone call or anything of the sort just a letter today with dear Sir/Madam. Cancelled my credit/debit cards and reissued them, considering changing my email address. Going to contact the data protection commissioner as well.

I've a flu as well, not my week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

smash wrote: »
    They know what a VPN is right? There is no need to have any of this info on a laptop.

an eircom, emobile or meteor connection would drop a VPN every few seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

A bunch of cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Well this is quite interesting.
    I was on Meteor until about September of 2011, when I switched to O2. And the about the time this thread turned up I got a few weird texts from "BBClaimAgent" or some bollox. Wonder if the 2 are related...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

smash wrote: »
    They know what a VPN is right? There is no need to have any of this info on a laptop.

It depends entirely on what the laptop was for.

I used to work for a telecoms company and at any time could have had details of hundreds of thousands of customers on my laptop.

Granted those specific laptops were encrypted to hell and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Update on this issue

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/eircom-encrypted-all-laptops-after-thefts-3226218.html
    EIRCOM yesterday insisted all laptops containing customers' personal data have been encrypted after two of its subsidiaries were prosecuted following the theft of two computers.

Meteor and eMobile admitted breaking data protection laws after they failed to notify the watchdog about the break-in at Eircom's premises at Parkwest in Dublin for a month.

They pleaded guilty at Dublin District Court to three charges under the Data Protection Act.
    Judge John O'Neill said both had failed to follow data protection regulations but noted that they had pleaded guilty.

He said he would apply the Probation Offenders Act, sparing the companies criminal convictions.

:(

Advertisement