Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emobile/meteor laptops stolen with customers details

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

witless1 wrote: »
    I got an email back from the passport office today.

They are not in a position to offer a letter to me (or any customer) as it is a dispute between Meteor and the customer. This was even checked at a higher level which is incredible to think that Meteor would be making such requirements WITHOUT bothering to check themselves if it was feasible.

It is indeed incredible but we have known for a long time now that Eircom have provided absolutely no support whatsoever for those affected by their abject failure in this case.

At this stage the only option seems public embarassment - it is the only thing that these people fear. So email joe Duffy, Matthew cooper and so on and lo and behold Eircom will be grovelling.

It might be no harm to contact the Data Protection office just to alert them to how unhelpful Eircom are being to those affected by their failure. As I understand it the DP people take subsequent behaviour into account too when assessing the data breach.

You could also consider a complaint to Comreg to in relation to the impact of this on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

They are not in a position to offer a letter to me (or any customer) as it is a dispute between Meteor and the customer. This was even checked at a higher level which is incredible to think that Meteor would be making such requirements WITHOUT bothering to check themselves if it was feasible.

Hi witless1
    It is certainly my understanding that this was arranged. I am chasing fo response to this now. I am also pushing for response on your particular case and will PM you soon.
    Tony

Hi witless1
    It is certainly my understanding that this was arranged. I am chasing fo response to this now. I am also pushing for response on your particular case and will PM you soon.
    Tony

If it was arranged then surely the passport employees who actually demonstrably care about people would know about it?

If it was arranged then why wasn't a contact name in the passport office given to those affected?

Pathetic is too kind a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I'd have to agree with dub45 on this one. I have had contact with the passport office before it even became an issue within my case. Not once did they indicate that they were aware of an arrangement or agreement. The rep I dealt with took a good few days to get back to me as they obviously chased it internally. Surely at some point they would have come across someone or some memo stating that an arrangement was in place?

I know you are pushing on your end Tony and to be fair to you this is the only consistent means of communication I have had since this debacle began. Email / Phone / Live Chat have all contradicted each other and outright lied to me at various points. It's getting to the stage that raising it in a more public domain might be the only way to bring a resolution.

I'd have to agree with dub45 on this one. I have had contact with the passport office before it even became an issue within my case. Not once did they indicate that they were aware of an arrangement or agreement. The rep I dealt with took a good few days to get back to me as they obviously chased it internally. Surely at some point they would have come across someone or some memo stating that an arrangement was in place?

I know you are pushing on your end Tony and to be fair to you this is the only consistent means of communication I have had since this debacle began. Email / Phone / Live Chat have all contradicted each other and outright lied to me at various points. It's getting to the stage that raising it in a more public domain might be the only way to bring a resolution.

It is also indicative that none of the other victims have been onto them. So it would seem that no one else has been fed your line.

So I wonder what is happening to people whose passport details were stolen and who don't know about boards.ie? Are they being fobbed off with offers of credit for example.

The more I think about this fiasco/debacle/mess the more I wonder how Eircom can let themselves as an organisation down so badly. Is there nobody at management level with even a sliver of competence?

Does anyone at management level ever read the posts on the forum to find out what the people who pay their wages are thinking?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    It is also indicative that none of the other victims have been onto them. So it would seem that no one else has been fed your line.

So I wonder what is happening to people whose passport details were stolen and who don't know about boards.ie? Are they being fobbed off with offers of credit for example.

The more I think about this fiasco/debacle/mess the more I wonder how Eircom can let themselves as an organisation down so badly. Is there nobody at management level with even a sliver of competence?

Does anyone at management level ever read the posts on the forum to find out what the people who pay their wages are thinking?

I certainly agree that this issue needs to be clarified dub45. This last point raised by witless1 in particular. I can assure you that from the very first points posted by yourself and others here ( and calls to our customer care centres) management have been aware of all concerns.
    I have escalated all further points raised here and hope to be able to clarify the issue.
    Tony

I certainly agree that this issue needs to be clarified dub45. This last point raised by witless1 in particular. I can assure you that from the very first points posted by yourself and others here ( and calls to our customer care centres) management have been aware of all concerns.
    I have escalated all further points raised here and hope to be able to clarify the issue.
    Tony

Tony,

In one simple sentence there is no indication anywhere that Eircom have the slightest interest in the impact of their admitted breach of the law on their customers and they have done absolutely nothing to mitigate that impact.

For example (and I am sure I know the answer already) have Eircom been in touch with any of the utility companies in relation to the verification information that was on the laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Loggie

Tony
    That's a fantastic term "escalated" that these telecom providers and others use. Can anyone tell me what it means? Escalators go up and DOWN.

My query was "escalated to customer complaints who are dealing with this particular issue. They should be in contact with you." Haven't heard anything since 14th Feb. Not even a valentines card.
    Maybe it means "I'll pass this on to someone who gives a sh1t". But that's where the problem is, because it seems that in Eircom nobody does give a sh1t.

My passport wasn't affected just driving licence and utility bill. I contacted the Garda Freud office and the RSA who suggested I contact the local Garda station and my bank. Eircom were kind enough to tell me to keep an eye on my account. Thanks Eircom!!! It was also good of Eircom to have a fully staffed helpline at 1800 444 085 on the day they announced this debacle to the country. I spoke to 3 or 4 different customer service agents all of who had no idea what to do but read from a script and then transfer me to someone "looking after this issue". The first person I actually got through to was in cancellations. Maybe I should have stayed with him.

Eircom had 6 weeks to prepare for this and to put in the proper customer support mechanisms for customers queries from day one. Kind of like its data protection policy, did not exist but we will quote ad nauseum that data protection is extremely important to us (but not on 45+ laptops).

I recently watched a tv program on TV3 about how easy it was to copy driving licences and get bill phones. Amazing how simple it all was.

Anyway it'll be ok because when I get screwed by someone claiming to be me, Eircom will be there to sort it out.

It might be no harm to contact the Data Protection office just to alert them to how unhelpful Eircom are being to those affected by their failure. As I understand it the DP people take subsequent behaviour into account too when assessing the data breach.

I actually sent a mail off yesterday to the Data Protection office on the advice of the Meteor rep I dealt with. She was the one who basically told me tough luck on the passport issue and told me to email the DP if you want. So I did :)

Well I was offered 50 euro credit for my passport which I flat out rejected as the Passport Office doesn't deal in Meteor credit. I also rejected the offer of a free month and I actually had an agent note that back to me. Yet I log into my account management and see my current amount due at -50 after my 25 a month was taken out of a balance of -75. So yeah, anyone who isn't on boards and just accepted what the initial phone call said has 25 in free credit on their account, or anyone who rattled a cage about their passport has 75 free credit.

I'm going to say no, purely on my experience with three different operators who couldn't even read my account to see that another person had rang me and told me a different, often contradictory story. If they have access to a unified account history (which I am assured they have) in front of them and won't bother reading it, they most certainly aren't going to take the time to visit boards or twitter or facebook to actually gauge real human feedback.

Loggie wrote: »
    Eircom were kind enough to tell me to keep an eye on my account. Thanks Eircom!!!

Part of my anger at this whole mess is the lack of clear, concise instructions and I have yet to receive word from Eircom as to why this was not issued. Keeping an eye on your account and using language that implies everything is ok isn't enough for a breach as serious as this and I hope the Data Commissioner takes this into account when fining them.
    Loggie wrote: »
    It was also good of Eircom to have a fully staffed helpline at 1800 444 085 on the day they announced this debacle to the country. I spoke to 3 or 4 different customer service agents all of who had no idea what to do but read from a script and then transfer me to someone "looking after this issue".

That's really bugging me as well. The first call I made to that number I just got a "Hello" on the other end, not even a "Welcome to yadda yadda" line, kinda set the tone for the whole experience. They didn't even bother asking for my details to see what exactly I was affected by. I had to tell the whole story to him and all I got was a scripted reply and told that a supervisor would ring me back.

I actually sent a mail off yesterday to the Data Protection office on the advice of the Meteor rep I dealt with. She was the one who basically told me tough luck on the passport issue and told me to email the DP if you want. So I did :)

Well I was offered 50 euro credit for my passport which I flat out rejected as the Passport Office doesn't deal in Meteor credit. I also rejected the offer of a free month and I actually had an agent note that back to me. Yet I log into my account management and see my current amount due at -50 after my 25 a month was taken out of a balance of -75. So yeah, anyone who isn't on boards and just accepted what the initial phone call said has 25 in free credit on their account, or anyone who rattled a cage about their passport has 75 free credit.

I'm going to say no, purely on my experience with three different operators who couldn't even read my account to see that another person had rang me and told me a different, often contradictory story. If they have access to a unified account history (which I am assured they have) in front of them and won't bother reading it, they most certainly aren't going to take the time to visit boards or twitter or facebook to actually gauge real human feedback.

Part of my anger at this whole mess is the lack of clear, concise instructions and I have yet to receive word from Eircom as to why this was not issued. Keeping an eye on your account and using language that implies everything is ok isn't enough for a breach as serious as this and I hope the Data Commissioner takes this into account when fining them.

That's really bugging me as well. The first call I made to that number I just got a "Hello" on the other end, not even a "Welcome to yadda yadda" line, kinda set the tone for the whole experience. They didn't even bother asking for my details to see what exactly I was affected by. I had to tell the whole story to him and all I got was a scripted reply and told that a supervisor would ring me back.

Hi witness1
    In regard to your earlier post re the letter requested from the passport office; I have received the following

It has been agreed that we do not ask for a letter from passport office only that the customer provide the receipt for cost of passport and we can reimburse this cost.

Have just PM’d you this morning also.
    If you have any further query let me know and I will do my best to answer this.
    Again my apologies that this information could not be supplied here earlier.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi witness1
    In regard to your earlier post re the letter requested from the passport office; I have received the following

It has been agreed that we do not ask for a letter from passport office only that the customer provide the receipt for cost of passport and we can reimburse this cost.

Have just PM’d you this morning also.
    If you have any further query let me know and I will do my best to answer this.
    Again my apologies that this information could not be supplied here earlier.
    Tony

So Tony what happened to your understanding that this had all been sorted out with the Passport Office?

What about witless costs in making so many phone calls etc etc?

We have now gone from refusing to pay for a passport to being dragged to paying for it essentially through public shame (a word which Eircom don't understand) has Witless been given a name to send the receipt to? I can only imagine the mess if such a receipt went astray!

Have Eircom contacted all those whose passport information was freely distributed on the laptops to tell them about this amazing gesture of paying them their basic cost? They really are entitled to know about such overwhelming generosity!!

Shocking - shocking - shocking - shocking

has Witless been given a name to send the receipt to? I can only imagine the mess if such a receipt went astray!

The phone rep I dealt with who told me the passport + letter story, instructed me to send my receipt in to:

Meteor Mobile Communications Limited
    Complaint Department
    4030 Kingswood Avenue
    Citiwest Business Park
    Dublin 24

I was on the laptop at the time he called so I was lucky to get to take it down.

It looks like they don't have a certain department or representative to send it to directly. Is this where we officially should be sending it Tony? It looks a bit too generic as I can imagine a lot of complaints going in and a passport receipt could easily get swallowed up or delayed within a process like that. Especially in my case where I won't be in a position to change my passport due to travel plans until May at the earliest I don't want any hiccups.

The phone rep I dealt with who told me the passport + letter story, instructed me to send my receipt in to:

Complaint Department
    4030 Kingswood Avenue
    Citiwest Business Park
    Dublin 24

I was on the laptop at the time he called so I was lucky to get to take it down.

It looks like they don't have a certain department or representative to send it to directly. Is this where we officially should be sending it Tony? It looks a bit too generic as I can imagine a lot of complaints going in and a passport receipt could easily get swallowed up or delayed within a process like that. Especially in my case where I won't be in a position to change my passport due to travel plans until May at the earliest I don't want any hiccups.

Hi witless1
    Officially, I would have to advise the most appropriate address to send this information is;

eircom
    1 HSQ
    Heuston South Quarter Development
    St John’s Road West,
    Dublin 8
    Co. Dublin

This is eircom headquarters and all sections dealing with this issue are located there.
    Tony

Complaint Department
    4030 Kingswood Avenue
    Citiwest Business Park
    Dublin 24

Hi witless1
    Officially, I would have to advise the most appropriate address to send this information is;

eircom
    1 HSQ
    St John’s Road West,
    Dublin 8
    Co. Dublin

This is eircom headquarters and all sections dealing with this issue are located there.
    Tony

So where did the csr get the other address from?

This gets worse by the second (if thats possible!!!!!!!!)

Is it that difficult to anticipate that something like this is invariably going to go astray?

Is it that difficult to nominate an individual to receive this receipt and ensure that a cheque issues by return?

Is there anyone responsible for anything in there??????????
    Tony

Well if there are sections dealing with this why not address it to those??????

On a health and safety issue has anyone checked the rooms in which 'all section' are located?

There is no evidence of any activity to suggest any sign of intelligent life!!!!

Just in case anyone is in any doubt about the consequences of losing data have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056562601

and in particular note this post:
    Curlym0zzy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just to update you all on the situation.

All my money has been redeposited to my account (within a couple of days)

Turns out my card was not lost (I had it) but details were compromised. Fraud dept are inundated with this problem apparently, people selling on peoples card details. They can't tell me where or who took them but were super helpful and efficient in sorting it for me....phew

My emphasis!

It's been a month since this happened and I still haven't received any news or updates regarding canceling my contract. I'm waiting on that callback Tony for the last two weeks and still nothing :(

I still haven't received anything official in the post regarding the passport being reimbursed and directions for where to post it. I have your post above Tony, which is official in a sense but still nothing physical in my hands to refer to in a few weeks when I sort my passport out.

Any updates at all?

HI witless,

Have you informed the Data Protection people how badly you have been treated by Eircom?

HI witless,

Have you informed the Data Protection people how badly you have been treated by Eircom?

I sent off an email to them and Friday evening they responded to me, took them the bones of 2 weeks. They basically said I have to write a letter to them and they would seek an "amicable resolution of my complaint". They can't do anything until I write that letter though. I'm going to write it and send it tomorrow morning.

It's been a month since this happened and I still haven't received any news or updates regarding canceling my contract. I'm waiting on that callback Tony for the last two weeks and still nothing :(

I still haven't received anything official in the post regarding the passport being reimbursed and directions for where to post it. I have your post above Tony, which is official in a sense but still nothing physical in my hands to refer to in a few weeks when I sort my passport out.

Any updates at all?

Hi witless1
    having gone through all suggested proceedures you should have been contacted but this time. I will chase this again and wil be back to you today or tomorrow.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Hey eircom: tony....I received a letter from meteor, saying that my details may have been on one of those laptops that were stolen. I rang up the "helpline" which was just general customer service number and the lad on the other end hadn't a clue about an data breach. The letter stated that i'd be compensated €30.00 to meteor account...however I am no longer with meteor and explain this him. He said he'd call me back and later that day he did, saying that i'd get a letter about the refund in a couple of weeks and here its mid march and not a still word from meteor.... any idea's whats going on??

• Advertisement

Hey eircom: tony....I received a letter from meteor, saying that my details may have been on one of those laptops that were stolen. I rang up the "helpline" which was just general customer service number and the lad on the other end hadn't a clue about an data breach. The letter stated that i'd be compensated €30.00 to meteor account...however I am no longer with meteor and explain this him. He said he'd call me back and later that day he did, saying that i'd get a letter about the refund in a couple of weeks and here its mid march and not a still word from meteor.... any idea's whats going on??

Hi pixieprinny
    I can certainly get clarification on this for you. Would you be able to PM me your previous meteor mobile number and full name.
    Tony

Hi pixieprinny
    I can certainly get clarification on this for you. Would you be able to PM me your previous meteor mobile number and full name.
    Tony

Tony

Could you tell us how many people are working on this so called "project" and what do they actually do?

Can you tell us one substantial thing - just one! - that Eircom have actually done to help the customers they betrayed so pathetically since this mess was actually reported. Apart from that nugget of wisdom to keep an eye on their accounts that is!

I have rarely seen anything so consistently pathetic.

Unfortunately it has long been clear that no one in Eircom has the foggiest notion about what is going on! And that is fact not sarcasm.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

I tried the twitter meteor help whilst waiting for the call back from the c.s agent and he basically told me to email in to meteor. Such a joke following them around for something meteor caused.

I informed Data Protection Office, i didn't want to go down those lines but if it doesn't get sorted soon, i just may have to.

The best part of email response i got was the agent asking me to clarify my details for data protection (i know they have to do than, having worked in call centres) but I wouldn't have need to be in contact with them if it wasn't for their awesome Data Protection skills....oh wait........seems they failed in that department there

I tried the twitter meteor help whilst waiting for the call back from the c.s agent and he basically told me to email in to meteor. Such a joke following them around for something meteor caused.

I informed Data Protection Office, i didn't want to go down those lines but if it doesn't get sorted soon, i just may have to.

The best part of email response i got was the agent asking me to clarify my details for data protection (i know they have to do than, having worked in call centres) but I wouldn't have need to be in contact with them if it wasn't for their awesome Data Protection skills....oh wait........seems they failed in that department there

Hi pixieprinny
    have received your PM and have PM'd you back.. would you be able to check the letter received for the info required?
    Thanks
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

One of the thefts happened in an employees home according to Morning Ireland. I don't think eircom had the right to hold people personal details outside the company in a house. If people have to go along and get passports reissued etc will Eircom be reimbursing the costs?

chris2008x wrote: »
    One of the thefts happened in an employees home according to Morning Ireland. I don't think eircom had the right to hold people personal details outside the company in a house. If people have to go along and get passports reissued etc will Eircom be reimbursing the costs?

Hi chris2008x
    yes, if you are one of those impacted by this, eircom will reimburse the cost of renewed password. If you have already done this just post your receipt to eircom.
    eircom
    1 HSQ
    St John’s Road West,
    Dublin 8
    Co. Dublin

If you PM me your own telephone no and pin I can get further information on your own particular case.
    Regards
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just got a letter from meteor advising that two laptops have been stolen that contain the addresses, passport details, banking details, email address and phone number of their customers.

the laptops were not encrypted. what an absolute joke. im already taking a court action against them over an other issue and this will add to my claim.

anybody else get this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

just got a letter from meteor advising that two laptops have been stolen that contain the addresses, passport details, banking details, email address and phone number of their customers.

the laptops were not encrypted. what an absolute joke. im already taking a court action against them over an other issue and this will add to my claim.

anybody else get this?
    I have been getting junk emails lately which have been using my full name as it might appear on a companies records with last name first, they have been quite obvious offering me great working opportunities worldwide but not giving details unless you reply when you will be bombarded with crap:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

here's RTE's report on the story from feb: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0210/eircom.html

Advertisement