Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emobile/meteor laptops stolen with customers details

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

There's a thread talking about it on the Eircom Biz section here in Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ive received a letter this morning that all my details including banking details are at risk, apparently i was supposed to be told about this a month ago, but looks like they forgot to tell me.

i shall be taking legal advice on this, this is the 4th major problem ive had in the last few months but they just dont seem to care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

ive received a letter this morning that all my details including banking details are at risk, apparently i was supposed to be told about this a month ago, but looks like they forgot to tell me.

i shall be taking legal advice on this, this is the 4th major problem ive had in the last few months but they just dont seem to care.

Hi homerjay2005
    If you PM me your tel number I can get clarification on this issue for you..
    If you have not had the other issues resolved I can also chase these for you and should be able to escalate.
    Tony

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi homerjay2005
    If you have not had the other issues resolved I can also chase these for you and should be able to escalate.
    Tony

Tony,

It would be nice to know what escalating any of these issues has ever achieved?:mad:

Could we have some information please on what exactly is going on here?

Are some of the betrayed customers only being told now? Can the rest of us expect similar letters at some indefinite date in the future?

Is it really the case that a customer like homer jay has been at risk for almost three months and not been told? How many more people have been issued with similar letters?

dub45 wrote: »
    Tony,

It would be nice to know what escalating any of these issues has ever achieved?:mad:

Could we have some information please on what exactly is going on here?

Are some of the betrayed customers only being told now? Can the rest of us expect similar letters at some indefinite date in the future?

Is it really the case that a customer like homer jay has been at risk for almost three months and not been told? How many more people have been issued with similar letters?

i can safely tell you, it has achieved nothing. my issues have been ongoing for several months. i can scan a copy of the letter as proof if required, my friend got one, a month ago.

Hi homerjay2005
    Tony

HI Tony,

i think i have dealt with you before and you have been very helpful. unfortunately the people who you passed me on to were not, thus why im going legal route. a letter shall be on its way to the CEO of Eircom, tomorrow to take this further.

todays letter is just another sad affair.

• Advertisement

i can safely tell you, it has achieved nothing. my issues have been ongoing for several months. i can scan a copy of the letter as proof if required, my friend got one, a month ago.

HI Tony,

i think i have dealt with you before and you have been very helpful. unfortunately the people who you passed me on to were not, thus why im going legal route. a letter shall be on its way to the CEO of Eircom, tomorrow to take this further.

Ok homerjay2005
    Sorry to hear they could not help..
    You should certainly get a full update, if any delay with reply I am available to chase this internally for you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dwmatthews113

As far as i was aware i was safe seeing as i hadnt been contacted about this issue but after the weeks that have passed since I have also just received one of these letters this morning. God only knows what could have been done in my name since then. If customer care was really a concern why am i only being informed now that my information could be at risk? Im not happy at all and what they offer as a goodwill gesture as they put it really isnt good enough.

HI Tony,

Ok homerjay2005
    Sorry to hear they could not help..
    You should certainly get a full update, if any delay with reply I am available to chase this internally for you.
    Tony

Tony

Who exactly is supposed to supply this 'full update'? And in any event what would it say? Is there anything to update customers on?

And could you please state is it the case that customers are only being informed now that their information has been out there for nearly three months?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cronjob78

I got a call from a Cork number 021 4641500 earlier and a guy with a heavy Dublin accent asking me about this. Usually "Customer Care" comes up when they call. I was in an underground carpark so the reception wasn't great.

Tried calling customer care back to check if it's legit. Haven't experienced any fraud I'm aware of.

Could a Meteor rep comment on this please and tell me if Meteor are calling people today?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged.

OP - please do not post twice on the same topic. Instead you can request for your thread to be moved and merged. This will help keep things neater.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Got letter yesterday. I am one of the Meteor customer, who signed up online last year... What they say is that Address, Email, Meteor contract(incl DD details), and Phone number may be at risk. I am little worried, as am sure i had to send them ID copy , and utility bill, and they did not mention it. If someone gets my date of birth, and the rest of documents, it may work with some applications. What is worse i changed my address in October, so I won't notice any unusual post.

Now the funny bit is:

Meteor is committed to ensuring that none of our customers will incur any loss as a result of this incident. In the unlikely event that you suffer a loss, as a direct result of this situation, which is in EXCESS OF THE GOODWILL GESTURE OF ONE MONTH'S MOBILE BILL RENTAL, please contact Meteor...

Someone define goodwill gesture to me, please??? It is more like refund in advance... Hope their dedicated freephone number is free from Meteor mobile, as i have few questions!

So, after calling them, they cant say if my id's and utilities copy was there or not, but they say they will call me back. We will see..

Wonski please read back over the thread and you will see that Eircom haven't the foggiest notion about what is going on - they have apparently even lied to at least one person about a laptop being found.

Whats more they have made absolutely no effort to help any of the affected customers so expect nothing concrete from them. You should contact your bank straight away and ask for their advice - also if you did forward any utility bills or copy of passport you should also contact the relevant businesses and report that you have been contacted by Eircom.

When are the rest of us going to get an update from Eircom on this latest batch of notifications?:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

As far as i was aware i was safe seeing as i hadnt been contacted about this issue but after the weeks that have passed since I have also just received one of these letters this morning. God only knows what could have been done in my name since then. If customer care was really a concern why am i only being informed now that my information could be at risk? Im not happy at all and what they offer as a goodwill gesture as they put it really isnt good enough.

The way Eircom and Meteor have gone about this is a shambles, that goes without saying. But this takes the biscuit, they didn't even bother telling people that their data had been breached for over a month after they knew about it? I would seriously urge people to bring them to court over this, what possible fcukin excuse could they put up as a defence?

Shower of incompetent idiots.

Dan133269 wrote: »
    The way Eircom and Meteor have gone about this is a shambles, that goes without saying. But this takes the biscuit, they didn't even bother tell"..................

Shower of incompetent idiots.

It goes beyond incompetence. It's the fact that they have deliberately made absolutely no effort to help the customers that they have so disgracefully betrayed that's so infuriating.

Data loss can result in people's lives being destroyed and I have provided a link to this type of incident earlier.

Their idiot of a pr person summed it up as far as Eircom are concerned when he described it as only affecting a small percentage of their customer base.

You of course may be 100% affected but you are only a blip to Eircom and their couldn't care less management so why should they bother trying to assist you?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

wonski wrote: »
    In the unlikely event that you suffer a loss, as a direct result of this situation, which is in EXCESS OF THE GOODWILL GESTURE OF ONE MONTH'S MOBILE BILL RENTAL, please contact Meteor...

Replace goodwill gesture with bribe and it might be a bit more accurate. I have had the 25 euro for my month applied to my account and 50 euro good will gesture to replace my passport. Despite flat out refusing both offers on a number of occasions. I say its a bribe because the tone used by the customer service rep was appalling and just trying to get me off the phone. Add in the fact another one flat our lied to me telling me the laptop was recovered and we are giving you 50 euro extra for your trouble.
    Hope their dedicated freephone number is free from Meteor mobile, as i have few questions!

Read through this thread, you will gain much more information here and to be fair to Tony he has provided more information then the dedicated number they have setup and he isn't even on the team involved.
    So, after calling them, they cant say if my id's and utilities copy was there or not

It's funny they should say that. I was told repeatedly by customer reps that my passport scan + bank details were compromised along with my other data. I got a message via Tony yesterday telling me that their Data Protection Team have discovered it was just my email / address / phone number that was impacted. So apparently they can tell exactly what was on the compromised machines some 3 months later.

It's either a flat out lie that they told Tony to try and close off my case (very much believable). Or they are lying to you to try and buy more time (again, very much believable). It's also debatable now whether they will replace my passport. It's also debatable will they honor the passports of those who have already replaced theirs and are waiting on the payment to come through. This is exactly why I have been asking for a formal letter stating they will honor my passport expenses, so further down the line I will have something concrete to throw back at them when their internal data protection team makes more remarkable discoveries and they won't bother paying up.

witless1 wrote: »
    Replace goodwill gesture with bribe and it might be a bit more accurate. I have had the 25 euro for my month applied to my account and 50 euro good will gesture to replace my passport. Despite flat out refusing both offers on a number of occasions. I say its a bribe because the tone used by the customer service rep was appalling and just trying to get me off the phone. Add in the fact another one flat our lied to me telling me the laptop was recovered and we are giving you 50 euro extra for your trouble.

Read through this thread, you will gain much more information here and to be fair to Tony he has provided more information then the dedicated number they have setup and he isn't even on the team involved.

It's funny they should say that. I was told repeatedly by customer reps that my passport scan + bank details were compromised along with my other data. I got a message via Tony yesterday telling me that their Data Protection Team have discovered it was just my email / address / phone number that was impacted. So apparently they can tell exactly what was on the compromised machines some 3 months later.

It's either a flat out lie that they told Tony to try and close off my case (very much believable). Or they are lying to you to try and buy more time (again, very much believable). It's also debatable now whether they will replace my passport. It's also debatable will they honor the passports of those who have already replaced theirs and are waiting on the payment to come through. This is exactly why I have been asking for a formal letter stating they will honor my passport expenses, so further down the line I will have something concrete to throw back at them when their internal data protection team makes more remarkable discoveries and they won't bother paying up.

Given their consistent lying and incompetence how can anyone be expected to believe anything they are told now by eircom unless it is specifically backed up by credible information? How do Eircom suddenly now know that passport information wasn't compromised?

Hi witless1
    Yes my understanding was that original mails did advise that passport data may have been impacted. Due to serious nature of this issue the investigation is still ongoing and as part of the ongoing investigation we have discovered that many of those previously advised of possible impact to their passport were in fact not impacted. These customers will receive clarification of this. I have been informed that you should receive officiall follow up very soon. I cannot explain why OP quoted was not advised if he had been impacted or not, anyone with any query regarding this should pm me their telephone number and full name. I can certainly clarify if their details were impacted.
    To PM me just click here
    Tony

Given their consistent lying and incompetence how can anyone be expected to believe anything they are told now by eircom unless it is specifically backed up by credible information? How do Eircom suddenly now know that passport information wasn't compromised?

See this is my question as well. I have been flat out lied to, twice, so I am taking this revelation with a pinch of salt. I have my letter at home ready to send off to the Data Protection to intercede on my behalf. I purposely held off because I was genuinely getting some progress with you Tony. Think I might be writing a new letter out when I get the promised mails in the post!

Hi witless1
    Yes my understanding was that original mails did advise that password data may have been impacted

I'm hoping you meant passport cause that's another thing to change now :D. Psychologically traumatized that this stage!

Hi witless1
    Yes my understanding was that original mails did advise that password data may have been impacted. Due to serious nature of this issue the investigation is still ongoing and as part of the ongoing investigation we have discovered that many of those previously advised of possible impact to their passport were in fact not impacted. These customers will receive clarification of this. I have been informed that you should receive officiall follow up very soon. I cannot explain why OP quoted was not advised if he had been impacted or not, anyone with any query regarding this should pm me their telephone number and full name. I can certainly clarify if their details were impacted.
    To PM me just click here
    Tony

Tony why are you choosing to ignore my legitimate questions? As a paying customer on whose behalf Eircom are supposed to hold data in compliance with their legal obligations I am entitled to information in relationi to the safety of this. Can I remind you that as a paying customer I and all the other customers of Eircom and their subsidiaries are paying all of your wages and you have no right to treat our legitimate concerns with contempt.

So far Eircom have abjectly failed to live up to their responsibilites both morally and legally to their customers.

From minute to minute Eircom do not appear to know what is going on. Now as evidenced by further letters going out in the past few days no customer can be sure that their data has not been compromised nor does it appear that Eircom have a clue as to the level of compromise that has taken place.

If I recall correctly Eircom claimed that their shameful delay in reporting the original data theft to the DPPC was to allow them to check on what exactly had been compromised. Now are we to suppose to believe that based on yet another assurance from Eircom that certain data has not been lost at all?

Can you please tell us what these new developments are based on?

Why are people only being told now that their data has been compromised?

And what will Eircom do for example in respect of people who have apparently unnecessarily replaced their passports (and most importantly compromised their reputations with the passport office)?

Any yet another reminder - this is OUR DATA we are talking about not some confidential business information for Eircom to claim secrecy etc.

You had no problem distributing customes' data to thieves and now you wont give information to your customers????????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

During the internal investigation it emerged that the two laptops contained personal data for some current and former eMobile and Meteor customers

May I have clarification please around what EXACTLY has been done to attempt to inform former customers of the data breach?

It appears from the above that former customers are in the majority of those whose data has been compromised.

• Advertisement

what i cant understand is why the personal details are stored on an unencrypted laptop and not on a secured remote location. in fact, why are they even stored in teh first place?

i think i sent in my passport scan, utility bill scan and banking details on the applicaion, which pretty much has been confirmed by the letter.

i too applied online, biggest mistake i ever done. my letter to the CEO is sent anyway, thanks to those who helped me with the details..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I received the letter too. I'm not a Meteor/eMobile customer, and haven't been since July '11.

I'm not impressed.

I received the letter too. I'm not a Meteor/eMobile customer, and haven't been since July '11.

I'm not impressed.

Are these letters signed or are they coming from yet another 'team'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are these letters signed or are they coming from yet another 'team'?

I'll have a look when I get home.

Tony why are you choosing to ignore my legitimate questions? As a paying customer on whose behalf Eircom are supposed to hold data in compliance with their legal obligations I am entitled to information in relationi to the safety of this. Can I remind you that as a paying customer I and all the other customers of Eircom and their subsidiaries are paying all of your wages and you have no right to treat our legitimate concerns with contempt.

So far Eircom have abjectly failed to live up to their responsibilites both morally and legally to their customers.

From minute to minute Eircom do not appear to know what is going on. Now as evidenced by further letters going out in the past few days no customer can be sure that their data has not been compromised nor does it appear that Eircom have a clue as to the level of compromise that has taken place.

If I recall correctly Eircom claimed that their shameful delay in reporting the original data theft to the DPPC was to allow them to check on what exactly had been compromised. Now are we to suppose to believe that based on yet another assurance from Eircom that certain data has not been lost at all?

Can you please tell us what these new developments are based on?

Why are people only being told now that their data has been compromised?

And what will Eircom do for example in respect of people who have apparently unnecessarily replaced their passports (and most importantly compromised their reputations with the passport office)?

Any yet another reminder - this is OUR DATA we are talking about not some confidential business information for Eircom to claim secrecy etc.

You had no problem distributing customes' data to thieves and now you wont give information to your customers????????

Hi dub45
    I do not have full details on this but have been informed that fuller investigation was able to show more clearly what was impacted. The original letter advised some customers that their passport details may have been impacted. On further investigation it became more clear what had and had not been exposed. We have now discovered that some of those receiving first letter have not had passport exposed.
    If any customer has already replaced their passport and are seeking reimbursement, please PM me your details here and I will chase this for you.
    Tony

I'm not impressed.

Hi Kenny Loggins
    if you PM me your telephone number I can have this investigated for you. I spould be able to advise of status in your particular case.
    Tony

Hi dub45
    I do not have full details on this but have been informed that fuller investigation was able to show more clearly what was impacted. The original letter advised some customers that their passport details may have been impacted. On further investigation it became more clear what had and had not been exposed. We have now discovered that some of those receiving first letter have not had passport exposed.
    If any customer has already replaced their passport and are seeking reimbursement, please PM me your details here and I will chase this for you.
    Tony

Tony you are just repeating what we have heard before. What exactly does this so called fuller investigation involve? Why should anyone believe this fuller investigation now? eircom supposedly spent a month investigating before the DPC was informed so what has changed now?

You are only too well aware that there is no reason why anyone should believe anything eircom tells us about this fiasco and the term 'fuller investigation' is yet another joke without substance to back it up.

Also why were people only told this week that ther details had been distributed by eircom when you told me before here ages ago that all those affected had been informed? How many times do I have to ask this question? How do we know there won't be more letters next week or maybe 'fuller investigation' will reveal there was no data loss at all and we can all live happily after after?

I have a pain in my proverbial seeing eircom treat people with contempt on a daily basis with such an abject display of ineptitude and incompetence in the face of such an appalling data loss. The loss was bad enough but the follow up has been pathetic pathetic pathetic.

Also eircom should be aware that anyone who replaced their passport may have damaged their reputation with the passport office what are Eircom going to do about that? I suppose 'fuller investigation' will solve that problem too????

Only for the seriousness of it I would say the phone call I got today was funny. Person rang me from whatever special team ye have setup for the Data Protection fallout and started off by calling me the wrong name. I was then told that my name, email address and phone number were compromised and to "watch out for them" whatever that is meant to mean. I asked about my passport and what the story was there and was told that he had no further information on that. I told him that the information he just told me I was told by Tony last week and why was he ringing me with dated information. He told me he was just doing his job to keep customers up to date.

Genuinely baffled by the ignorant responses I am getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

May I have clarification please around what EXACTLY has been done to attempt to inform former customers of the data breach?

It appears from the above that former customers are in the majority of those whose data has been compromised.

I don't think you'll ever get an answer Johnboy, i received the letter saying the €30 would be applied to my meteor account, which was closed since April 11.

Tony was great help (NOT) gave him my details and he advised me "the number you supplied is a pre pay no. and would not have been affected by this incidence".... why get the letter offering €30 so (don't spend the €30 all at once boys and girls)

Ok so my account details and passport may not have been effected like others but my personal details, name, address etc could be floating around out there.... but Meteor don't really give a rats arse about that....

*off to type up my follow up email with Data Protection Office I go*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Only for the seriousness of it I would say the phone call I got today was funny. Person rang me from whatever special team ye have setup for the Data Protection fallout and started off by calling me the wrong name. I was then told that my name, email address and phone number were compromised and to "watch out for them" whatever that is meant to mean. I asked about my passport and what the story was there and was told that he had no further information on that. I told him that the information he just told me I was told by Tony last week and why was he ringing me with dated information. He told me he was just doing his job to keep customers up to date.

Genuinely baffled by the ignorant responses I am getting.

Was it someone from their "dedicated" team...what a joke they are....

Advertisement