Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplex Heating Issues

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I have a few issues and was looking for some advice if others have experienced the same:

1) Emersion Does Not Work - it stopped working shortly after we moved in back in 05. The builder came back and did something with it. No new parts or anything and it worked again for a few months but then stopped. I'm not pushed about it as we let the gas heat the water each morning and evening and that seems to work fine but is this a common problem? Is this an electrician or a plumber job?

2) Thermostat - This only happened last week. There was a clicking coming from the hot press. On further inspection it was coming from a red box that had a wire going to it which I think was from the Thermostat. The tank was hot with there was nothing flowing through the system. I have to override it by locking down the switch on the side but I think this makes the thermostat redundant? Is this an electrician or a plumber job?

3) System Pressure – Seem to have to top this up more often lately. About once a week at the moment. Seems to be common enough? Any way to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

Robertr wrote: »
    I have a few issues ...

don't want to spoil the thread, you are another person in Charlesland with these issues within 1 day from my post.

For your above reasons I want upgrade my system boiler to ''Combi'' boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ckc

If you undo the little nut which will allow you to remove the silver cap at the top of your boiler tank, you should see a little button sticking up on the plastic control unit (thermostat?). The button is only a couple of millimetres in diameter. If you push it in your immersion should work again. It seems to be some kind if trip switch.

You can also get some kind of regulator / valve fitted in the hot press which will regulate the pressure and stop you needing to top it up. Cost about e250 about three years ago IIRC. Why they weren't fitted in the first place, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

ckc wrote: »
    If you undo the little nut which will allow you to remove the silver cap at the top of your boiler tank, you should see a little button sticking up on the plastic control unit (thermostat?). The button is only a couple of millimetres in diameter. If you push it in your immersion should work again. It seems to be some kind if trip switch.

You can also get some kind of regulator / valve fitted in the hot press which will regulate the pressure and stop you needing to top it up. Cost about e250 about three years ago IIRC. Why they weren't fitted in the first place, I don't know.

i believe you answered why: ''e250 about three years ago IIRC'':)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 snifferdogje

All immersions have thermostats fitted and are usually set for 65 degrees if your gas boiler is heating water above this temp it will trip out the thermo cut out on the tank. As for your pressure dropping their is an expansion vessel in your boiler and if this bursts your pressure drops . You can buy an exterior vessel for about 25 euro and fit it I had this done on my glow worm boiler as it was dropping pressure nearly every second day and it will eventually over heat and blow the pressure release valve johnny electrician seabourne view .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

The expansion vessel in my gloworm popped last April - I got an exterior one fitted in the hot press upstairs, - the boiler hasnt dropped once since and the house is always toasty :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement