Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDR usb dongle

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

maby Watty has some experience with SDr radio kit. I just bought one of these "funcubedongle" usb adapters.http://www.funcubedongle.com/
    Am probably going to try wxsat and some other digital transmissions here, as there is more or less no analogue signals on either VHF or UHF.
    Anyone else have one of these or SDR experience? I saw one other unit for almost 2 grand with plugin modules for tx/rx and so on,but I think thats for another day when I win lotto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Softrock board + suitable soundcard is amazing. I was thinking of getting a funcubedongle some time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Let us know how it goes, interested to know how effective they are. Also do they come with software to web host it i.e. have it running at home and be able to access it from a browser anywhere? That would be so handy on a number of fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The eHam reviews are interesting. There are only 7 reviews but they range from 0/5 to 5/5 which I don't think I have seen for any normal receiver.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10056

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

ok, dongle is here on the desk. Its as I expected, front end easily overloaded but consider what it does and the size of the thing.
    Works well between 248-470mhz which is where im generally listening. Have yet to connect it to an Lband yagi with preamp, simply I dont have time but for what I paid its not bad. Managed to flash the firmware and so on to try the latest so the information supplied is out there.
    I still like the idea of the 2 grand SDR with tx boards and maby later, but the dongle "will do". L band reports later.. fingers crossed on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a new version out now, the Pro+ which covers 136 kHz to 1.9 gHz with a gap between 240 and 420 mHz. All modes including wide FM. There is a Youtube demonstration here. The link on the first post has more details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifIK31LfcA

Price is £150 plus postage from Martin Lynch in the UK. There is a comprehensive review in Radcom Feb 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

I find that with the SDR dongles that depending on the type of ariel connected that some additional filtering may be required. The dongle can be subject to overload and filtering is a good way to get the best performance.

Also useful can be to mount the dongle in a screened enclosure. This has the added benefit of allowing an ariel socket to be added, sometimes it is possible to pull the ariel socked off the songle is using a heavy ariel cable.

Advertisement