Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy newspaper company

Options
  • 10-02-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Is there a market for a "happy newspaper" here in Ireland or would it be better to just try the uk?

This paper would be small and only have good news in it. Nothing negative just complete and utter positive journalism.

I think advertising income could be good for this paper. Companys wanting to be associated with positive articles etc:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

First the good news....

Start off with a website. If it works, then go to print. :D

Now the bad news....

The reason why bad stuff is news is because it doesn't happen very often. When it does, people want to know how it affects them. Alternatively,
    there is good stuff going on all the time, all around you. Therefore it is not news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I found a Website in the us that's called happy news. I did so Website spying and found it was ranked 24k in the us and 54k in the UK with 80k daily views in the us alone.

the paper would have to be free of course.

do you think it would be attractive to large corporations wanting to improve their image VIA association.

example. I go to Nike and say were doing an article about clothes being collected for a charity in a local neighbour hood. would you like to sponsor the page.nike will also be contributing 500 pairs of tracksuites to the cause.

or

Hi subway/McDonald's, we have an article about salads prolonging life and how this small community are growing lettuce to supply to their local shops. would you like to promote your new salad offers on the page.

it would be Target advertising and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I found a Website in the us that's called happy news. I did so Website spying and found it was ranked 24k in the us and 54k in the UK with 80k daily views in the us alone.

the paper would have to be free of course.

do you think it would be attractive to large corporations wanting to improve their image VIA association.

example. I go to Nike and say were doing an article about clothes being collected for a charity in a local neighbour hood. would you like to sponsor the page.nike will also be contributing 500 pairs of tracksuites to the cause.

or

Hi subway/McDonald's, we have an article about salads prolonging life and how this small community are growing lettuce to supply to their local shops. would you like to promote your new salad offers on the page.

it would be Target advertising and all that.

I think a big part of the reason newspapers are so popular is because of the variety contained within. So, there can be a bad news story on page 1, but something uplifting on page 3 (no tabloid jokes). Then, there is opinion on page 8, reviews on page 10, etc etc.

Also if a paper is just a blatant front for tonnes of advertising/shilling then no-one will want to know about it.

This is very true so there would obviously be different sections on science, medicine,society, politics, religion , business and humor etc all with positive stories and news.

Regarding advertising it would have to be a new model. Maybe all adverts need to be coupons so that with each add the reader can get a diacjunt.

All I'm getting at really is company's being associated with a paper/magazine that just has positively written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

news papers are a media thats on its way out

look at some of the major newspapers here and the UK and see how their advertising revenues and readship are waaaay down

then look at the companies behind them and see their profits are waaaaay down too

I think the printed media is something thats not going to disappear but i would be suprised if you would get funding for something like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

bogwalrus wrote: »
    This is very true so there would obviously be different sections on science, medicine,society, politics, religion , business and humor etc all with positive stories and news.

Regarding advertising it would have to be a new model. Maybe all adverts need to be coupons so that with each add the reader can get a diacjunt.

All I'm getting at really is company's being associated with a paper/magazine that just has positively written all over it.

I didn't emphasise it, but what I meant by variety is not variety in the kind of stories or categories of news as such, but variety in the sense of the different viewpoints and the different tones/moods throughout a paper. For example, on the front page of the Sunday Indo you usually have a serious story as the main headline, then maybe a sports feature to the right, then something satirical by Brendan O'Connor at the bottom. When you delve into the paper then you have more 'bad news' stories, satirical/ironic pieces, philosophical stuff, personal accounts of different experiences in life (which obviously involve both 'bad' and 'good' stuff).

So I think what people want out of a paper or magazine is a mix of different moods and perspectives - 'bad' news is not strictly 'bad' - people are interested in reading about things like gangsters, criminal goings-on, scams, and whatever you're having yourself.

For those reasons I think it'd be a very hard sell, not to mention the fact that times are tough for printed media as it is. You could try an online model though, although I know there is something like that already (thegoodnewstimes or something). Not sure how active it is.

stcstc wrote: »
    news papers are a media thats on its way out

look at some of the major newspapers here and the UK and see how their advertising revenues and readship are waaaay down

then look at the companies behind them and see their profits are waaaaay down too

I think the printed media is something thats not going to disappear but i would be suprised if you would get funding for something like this

Under pressure but definitely not on the way out. People will always want to pick up a paper or printed media and have a read. Online is huge and getting bigger but people will always want the feel of a paper in their hand.

That makes complete sense to me anyway. Thanks for the feedback chet zar:D

Advertisement