Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarkson courting publicity or genuinely a twat?

• 10-02-2012 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭

Mr Clarkson seems to be at it again. Is this guy cynically trying to appeal to the lowest denominator in society now or does he actually believe the crap he spouts?

Do people actually find this funny? :confused:

Taken from the indo:
    A DISFIGUREMENT charity has called for Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC to apologise after the Top Gear presenter compared the shape of a new car to "people with growths on their faces".

In an episode of the BBC motoring show broadcast last Sunday, Mr Clarkson likened a Japanese car with a large bulge on the back to a “really ugly” growth.

He suggested that people “wouldn’t talk to [the car] at a party” and did an impression of the elephant man, the disfigured Victorian character, after fellow presenter Richard Hammond dubbed the vehicle “the elephant car”.

James Partridge, the chief executive of charity Changing Faces, said that Mr Clarkson’s comments “create a culture of ridicule and bullying” against people who are ill, disabled or have unusual features.

“Mocking people with a disfigurement, a facial growth in this case, is irresponsible and extremely offensive. People with disfigurements experience discrimination and bullying which occasionally includes violence,” said Mr Partridge.

The charity has written a letter of complaint to Ofcom, the broadcasting watchdog, and the BBC, which has received 55 complaints about the broadcast.

Mark Boylan, who has a condition called neurofibromatosis, which causes large tumours to grow on the face, said: “As a genuine Top Gear fan, I was gutted the presenters felt the need to stoop to such a level. Their humour singled out people who are visually different.

“Even though we may be in the minority, our right to respect is equal to that of any majority.”

The show was repeated last night on BBC 2.

It is the fourth time in recent months that Mr Clarkson has attracted controversy.

At the end of December he was accused of offensive behavior after mocking Indian culture in a Top Gear Christmas special.

Viewers complained to the BBC after he made a series of controversial remarks about the country’s clothing, trains, food and history.

At one point he appeared to make light of the lack of sanitation for poor residents by driving around slums in a Jaguar fitted with a toilet.

Last November Mr Clarkson upset public sector workers when he said that those going on strike “should be shot” while their families watched.

The remarks led to more than 21,000 complaints to the BBC and almost 800 to watchdog Ofcom, which launched an investigation.

Earlier this year the presenter was criticised for making comments about the Morecambe Bay cockle picking tragedy in which 23 Chinese migrant workers died.

A BBC spokesman said that there were no plans to edit Mr Clarkson's comments about growths out of the show, but declined to comment further

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

In before moley moley moley, MOLE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No, people like you are just too sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It's pure publicity. Anyone who takes what he says seriously these days ends up looking more of an eejit than he would.

At this stage theres probably lines of groups waiting for him to say something about someone so they can give out and get a bit of publicity themselves. Works both ways.

They constantly rip into Richard Hammond for being short and having his teeth whitened. Wheres the group for people with whitened teeth who won't stand for it!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Too many people in the professional "I'm insulted" industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

this is just more political correctness going mad or an organisation looking for some free advertising.( in my opinion this) it will eventually get to the stage you cant speak for fear of offending one group or another -.

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    No, people like you are just too sensitive.

Racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The guy is a loudmouth bore. A wanker in a pair of ill-fitting jeans and a sports coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"His comments were completely out of line, facial disfigurements are a very sensitive issue for some people" said the charity's spokesperson, Harvey Dent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

it was kinda true it did look like a growth :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

To the people who are offended by this can you write out a list of things people can talk about without offending anyone?

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »

That's true, but you know what, this jerkass is probably keeping that industry afloat on his own. I wouldnt mind if he had something controversial to say that was interesting, he just seems to be picking soft targets in a bid to keep his profile and crappy program in the ratings, while being egged on by the 'Hamster.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mena wrote: »

One of the few growth industries...erm :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

To answer your question OP: Both.

He knows what he is at when he says this stuff but either way he is a cunt.

A turbo-cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The guy is a tool. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

That's true, but you know what, this jerkass is probably keeping that industry afloat on his own. I wouldnt mind if he had something controversial to say that was interesting, he just seems to be picking soft targets in a bid to keep his profile and crappy program in the ratings, while being egged on by the 'Hamster.'

In fairness, a lot of people make passing comments like that with no intention of offending anybody.

He just gets the heat because A) he's on TV and B) he's a douche.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Oh Jeremy with your outrageous politically incorrect opinions which you have: every week, to a deadline, for money.

I make no apologies for ripping this off Stewart Lee.

I thought his impromptu John Merrick was quite good.

Ah the Stewart Lee defence! So lame after the nth posting!*

* I like Lee and Clarskon so I'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wow, 55 complaints! The show should be cancelled after such an uproar!

Seachmall wrote: »
    In fairness, a lot of people make passing comments like that with no intention of offending anybody.

He just gets the heat because A) he's on TV and B) he's a douche.

Yeah, i'm not offended by anything he says to be honest, i'm more offended by the fact that he's a douche and that headlines are still being generated by the drivel he spouts. Now that is offensive!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I find him entertaining at times but by all accounts he is a bit of an obnoxious arsehole in real life too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

this is just more political correctness going mad or an organisation looking for some free advertising.( in my opinion this) it will eventually get to the stage you cant speak for fear of offending one group or another -.

You wouldn't have a few more clichés there, would you? You could say something to do with a fictional "brigade", maybe mention 'elf and safety, or tell us it wasn't like this in your day.

Clarkson is both a skilled, cynical attention seeker and a genuine twat. Hammond and May are even worse, a pair of witless bullie's sidekicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Mr Clarkson seems to be at it again. Is this guy cynically trying to appeal to the lowest denominator in society now or does he actually believe the crap he spouts?

Do people actually find this funny? :confused:

Taken from the indo:

'Jokes are funny. Unless you're making jokes at my expense. Then it's not funny and needs to be complained about'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Robbo wrote: »
    Oh Jeremy with your outrageous politically incorrect opinions which you have: every week, to a deadline, for money.

Yeah pretty much, he's obviously good at it too.
    Stewart Lee, however, is about as funny as leprosy

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Seems like publicity for the charity more like !
    I'm getting pi##ed off with all these charity's lately .
    It's big buisness now and most of their workers and directors are very well paid .

He should start slagging off Harvey Normans low low never to be repeated prices ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i am a Chisel and I object to tool-ism on this forum!

My friend (who is a female body part) would like to protest too. He'd say so himself only you wouldn't beleive what he talks like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are people not bored of his 'oh I'm so politically incorrect' scthick at this point?

It's not offensive it's f*cking yawn-inducing.

Also - I couldn't give a toss if he drove a big car at high speeds through a large jungle while making jokes about Mexicans. And I have a suspicion that the people who can't contain their slavering excitement about how 'hilarious' he is all have small willies.

Hammond and May are even worse, a pair of witless bullie's sidekicks.

That's just not true - Hammond is but May is a proper TV talent who has used TG as a spring board to better things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Robbo wrote: »

Stewart Lee is about as funny as a mole on your face to be fair.

• Advertisement

Stewart Lee is about as funny as a mole on your face to be fair.

So Clarkson must find him hilarious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Seems like publicity for the charity more like !
    I'm getting pi##ed off with all these charity's lately .
    It's big buisness now and most of their workers and directors are very well paid .

He should start slagging off Harvey Normans low low never to be repeated prices ?

Yep, if anyone saw last weeks top gear they'd know this charity is talking out of it's hole.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much, he's obviously good at it too.
    Stewart Lee, however, is about as funny as leprosy
    What's not funny about body parts falling off people? Comedy gold there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

A little from column A, a little from column B.

The comment was hardly offensive to begin with anyway (quite tame by Clarkson standards :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

he could line up all the people with growths and shoot them in front of there families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Snowie wrote: »
    he could line up all the people with growths and shoot them in front of there families.
    Whatever about his general twatishness, that one was taken completely out of context and the furore over it was absolutely ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Clarkson is just courting publicity. Every week more and more people will tune in to see what he says.

The BBC isn't going to do anything about him. They got 55 complaints, but how many millions watch the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Posh twat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Twat. Him and that little f*ckin' weasal Richard Hammond. And it's really annoying when people who don't know the pr!ck call him 'Hammond'.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Whatever about his general twatishness, that one was taken completely out of context and the furore over it was absolutely ridiculous.

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Aw, Stewart Lee is brilliant!

Although, any excuse to post this too. (GO TEAM!)

"Like a guy with no legs showing a prostitute how to give a footjob."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Clarkson is probably a genuine tool in real life, but he also knows he's going to get some free publicity with remarks like these.

What I find most offensive about such remarks is the cynicism of them: it's just like Top Gear in general, perfectly crafted to very deliberately court controversy in such a way that more people will actually get behind Clarkson/the show than get offended.

Though I find it a bit rich that he's mocking people with growths on their faces. What about that horrible growth on top of his head? Would he like to be mocked for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Being a fan of political correctness myself ,
    I find myself strangely amused by clarksons ramblings , to my embarrassment ,

Like Adele in a cake shop !

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

got to be the best show of modern times on tv. With three brilliant presenters, it works so well since the three guys are genuinely good mates living a dream, driving dream cars and getting handsomely paid for it,,

and they make the bbc millions out of topgear

got to be the best show of modern times on tv.

Have you watched more than 2 shows on TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

and they make the bbc millions out of topgear

Because dough-headed idiots like it.

We are the docile masses, we're the puppet people

<channels Bill Hicks>

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

got to be the best show of modern times on tv.

Poor old David Attenborough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

“As a genuine Top Gear fan, I was gutted the presenters felt the need to stoop to such a level. Their humour singled out people who are visually different"
    So basically he laughed along and enjoyed them making fun of every other group of people, but when it was his turn he's suddenly outraged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He's kind of a middle-class Dunphy, except Dunphy is, at leasst, kind of likeable.

I think at this stage he's probably publicly mocked every race/class of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"outrageous politicall­y incorrect opinions which he has for money".

Stewert Lee on Jeremy Clarkson

(sorry just noticed this quote is everywhere!!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement