Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarkson courting publicity or genuinely a twat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Clarkson courting publicity or genuinely a twat?
    Neither. When he talks, a load of people take a pen and paper out to write down what they can be offended about. They'd feel let down if he didn't say anything, and the second he they can get offended about they're delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Stewart Lee is about as funny as a mole on your face to be fair.

Oh you couldn't be more spectacularly wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

smash wrote: »
    Yes really. The fact that the clip you posted is only 15 secs long should give you some sort of clue.

Do you understand what is meant by "context"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yes really. The fact that the clip you posted is only 15 secs long should give you some sort of clue.

Do you understand what is meant by "context"?

The point is that he said it. He was asked a question and that was his answer, then he tried to justify it. The guy is a top class tool. And yes even in real life. I've met him!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

chin_grin wrote: »
    Because dough-headed idiots like it.

We are the docile masses, we're the puppet people

<channels Bill Hicks>

:pac:

not sure what dough-headed means but i don't mind being one if i like top gear..
    is not pc enough for the non dough-heads, maybe they prefer a show devoted to push bikes and the prius

not sure what dough-headed means but i don't mind being one if i like top gear..
    is not pc enough for the non dough-heads, maybe they prefer a show devoted to push bikes and the prius

Because if you don't like top gear you must like push bikes and prius' :rolleyes:

5th gear is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's not an all-or-nothing situation where you either like big fast cars and non-pc jokes, or you like bikes (who calls them pushbikes in the 21st century, except people who want to make them deliberately sound silly), hybrid cars and are a bleeding-heart liberal vegetarian etc...

I'm not big into cars and I used to enjoy Top Gear but I don't anymore as I feel it's become a tired parody of itself with "races" where they hardly try to hide that they're carefully stage-managed and Clarkson in particularly acts up to the persona he's created by making crap non-pc comments all designed to fit in with his image and be controversial enough to get publicity, but not controversial enough that it won't win them over more fans in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Because if you don't like top gear you must like push bikes and prius' :rolleyes:

5th gear is much better.

5th gear is much better for car reviews (unless you're a millionaire) and general information but Top Gear is far more entertaining. It also has some of the best cinematography I've seen on television

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Not allowed to have an opinion any more it seems. How dare Jeremy Clarkson give his opinion on anything. How very dare he!

5th gear is much better.

top gear is no more a car show than csi is a garda documentary....

its pure bull**** but its entertaining bull****.

top gear is no more a car show than csi is a garda documentary....

its pure bull**** but its entertaining bull****.

Exactly. So why talk about bikes and prius then?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭phoenix0250

You're offended? so what? be offended!..nothing happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

pconn062 wrote: »
    No, people like you are just too sensitive.

Where the fcuk did i say i was offended by what he said? I dislike the fact that he uses the whole PC thing to garner more publicity, thats all that really offends me about the git.

Exactly. So why talk about bikes and prius then?

well be fare the some of the most vocal people that have it in for clarkson are those types, vegetaian, lefty, cardigan wearers, chris martin types

• Advertisement

well be fare the some of the most vocal people that have it in for clarkson are those types, vegetaian, lefty, cardigan wearers, chris martin types
    Then there's people with intelligence!

By the way. Most motoring enthusiasts don't like Clarkson and they're not the types you mentioned either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The point is that he said it. He was asked a question and that was his answer, then he tried to justify it. The guy is a top class tool. And yes even in real life. I've met him!
    Your still taking it out of context, it was a joke tacked onto his actual answer.

Are you actually Jeremy Clarkson?

Such a nonsensical, sweeping generalisation sounds just like the kind of thing he'd say.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your still taking it out of context, it was a joke tacked onto his actual answer.

Doesn't matter. He also made a joke about Mexicans which offended every Mexican on the planet. Ah but sure it's a joke... :rolleyes:

Are you actually Jeremy Clarkson?

Such a nonsensical, sweeping generalisation sounds just like the kind of thing he'd say.

sweeping generalisation comes from all sides, according to the media and people that make these complaints he has offended caravaners, civil servants, indians, mexicans, 1.5 billion people there, he is always making fun of Aussies.
    He better be careful so many people offended.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter. He also made a joke about Mexicans which offended every Mexican on the planet. Ah but sure it's a joke... :rolleyes:
    I don't believe he insulted every Mexican on the planet. Watching American TV Mexicans are well used to being the but of racist jokes. I really don't see how people can get upset over what Clarkson says, everyone knows he's only doing it to get the rise and yet everyone always falls for he's old tricks over and over again. He doesn't even have to try any more.

Jimmy Car says much more racist things and everyone accepts what he says as a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Top Gear joke against Mexicans = "I'm outraged!!"

Family Guy / South Park jokes against Mexicans = "Lol!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Before the inevitable happens here .
    What exactly does blasting things with piss solve ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

He's a dildo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Before the inevitable happens here .
    What exactly does blasting things with piss solve ????

Fires mostly.

sweeping generalisation comes from all sides, according to the media and people that make these complaints he has offended caravaners, civil servants, indians, mexicans, 1.5 billion people there, he is always making fun of Aussies.
    He better be careful so many people offended.

That to me is a sign of how dull and predictable he is.

If he were really "edgy" he'd probably pick on vulnerable groups and really stoke some fires (how he likes to be seen).

But like an old institution, he can be relied on for a "controversial" comment about pretty much any group, therefore doing away with any true sense of shock or controversy attached to what he says (how he really is).

If you like him, then fine. I just think he's a tired, predictable bore.

I don't believe he insulted every Mexican on the planet. Watching American TV Mexicans are well used to being the but of racist jokes. I really don't see how people can get upset over what Clarkson says, everyone knows he's only doing it to get the rise and yet everyone always falls for he's old tricks over and over again. He doesn't even have to try any more.

Jimmy Car says much more racist things and everyone accepts what he says as a joke.

I think its because it doesnt seem like a joke coming from Clarkson and it could be done in a much more intelligent manner.

Honestly, he's doing it to stir publicity with a blunt object rather then using any natural talent, wit or ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

A DISFIGUREMENT charity has called for Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC to apologise after the Top Gear presenter compared the shape of a new car to "people with growths on their faces".

This disfigurement charity and other humourless people need to get a life. The British were once renowned for their sense of humour. Now, as a result of years of left-wing misrule, most of us have become a miserable, politically correct bunch, who think that, whenever somebody says a joke, they have to apologise to such and such a group of people who they imagine, usually wrongly, are going to take "offence" at such a joke (unless you make a joke against white people, men, and Christians, in which case it is okay).

Now Jeremy has to apolgise just because, on an episode of Top gear, he said a joke in which he referred to people with growths on their faces. Jeremy and the BBC should NOT apologise, he did not do anything wrong and some people in modern Britain need to start getting a sense of humour and stop being so damn miserable.

Batsy wrote: »
    This disfigurement charity and other humourless people need to get a life. The British were once renowned for their sense of humour. Now, as a result of years of left-wing misrule, most of us have become a miserable, politically correct bunch, who think that, whenever somebody says a joke, they have to apologise to such and such a group of people who they imagine, usually wrongly, are going to take "offence" at such a joke.

Now Jeremy has to apolgise just because, on an episode of Top gear, he said a joke in which he referred to people with growths on their faces. Jeremy and the BBC should NOT apologise, he did not do anything wrong and some people in modern Britain need to start getting a sense of humour and stop being so damn miserable.

Tell us a joke so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

He's probably wealthy enough to not need the work.
    He's the frontman for a VERY popular BBC show which generates millions.
    Therefore, he knows he holds a great hand and can do and say as he pleases.

He is a talented journalist and I admire his passion.

He may come off as a bit of a fool at times, but that's a handy situation he has going and some people envy that and will exagerate the tiniest muttering into a national headline because of it.

• Advertisement

This disfigurement charity and other humourless people need to get a life. The British were once renowned for their sense of humour. Now, as a result of years of left-wing misrule, most of us have become a miserable, politically correct bunch, who think that, whenever somebody says a joke, they have to apologise to such and such a group of people who they imagine, usually wrongly, are going to take "offence" at such a joke (unless you make a joke against white people, men, and Christians, in which case it is okay).

In order for this to be true, his jokes would want to be funny though. :confused:

I think its because it doesnt seem like a joke coming from Clarkson
    That's nonsense they're obvious jokes unless your reading about them in the Dailymail where they make everything seem like a stabbing.

Tell us a joke so. :)

Q: What's black and goes 200 miles an hour?
    A: An Ethiopian with a McDonald's voucher.

Have you seen the world's shortest books?:
    Irish Wit and Wisdom.
    Jewish Business Ethics.
    Italian War Heroes.
    Negroes I Have Met While Yachting.
    Aboriginal Hygeine Hints.
    Adolf Hitler's Kosher Recipes.
    Muslim Pork Dishes.
    The Amish Phone Book.
    Things I Can`t Afford by Bill Gates.
    Great Women Drivers of Today.
    The Complete Guide to Catholic Sex.
    The Book of Good Australian Beer.
    Beauty Secrets by Cathy Freeman.

Q: Why was the homosexual fired from his job at the sperm bank?
    A: For drinking on the job.

Q: How do you brainwash an Irishman?
    A: Give him an enema.

Q: How did the Irish acid-bath murderer loose his hand?
    A: Pulling out the plug.

Q: What's the definition of a virgin in England?
    A: Any female under the age of eighteen.
    Q: What's the definition of a virgin in France?
    A: Any female under the age of sixteen.
    Q: What's the definition of a virgin in the Middle East?
    A: Any camel that can run faster than a Muslim.

Teacher: "Johnny, put the word INFATUATION in a sentence".
    Johnny: "A Jap tourist walks into Pauline Hanson's fish and chip shop, and asks her `How do you cook your chips?', so Pauline tells him, `In fat you Asian'".

Q: Whats the hardest part of a vegetable to eat?
    A: The wheelchair

Police in London have found a bomb outside a mosque.
    They've told the public not to panic as they've managed to push it inside.

Two Asian heroin addicts have injected themselves with curry powder by
    mistake - both are in intensive care. One has a dodgy tikka and the other one is in a korma.

During last night's high winds an African family were killed by a falling
    tree. A spokesman for the Birmingham City Council said 'We didn't even know
    they were living up there'.

Asian Minorities in the UK have complained that there is not enough
    television shows with minorities in mind, so Crimewatch is being shown
    5 times a week now.

I was walking down the road when I saw an Afghan bloke standing on a
    fifth floor balcony shaking a carpet.

I shouted up to him, "What's up Abdul, won't it start?"

Irish Wit and Wisdom.
    Jewish Business Ethics.
    Italian War Heroes.
    Muslim Pork Dishes.
    The Amish Phone Book.

Yes, and the jokes?

:pac:

That's nonsense they're obvious jokes unless your reading about them in the Dailymail where they make everything seem like a stabbing.
    Yes, obvious jokes are a bit too obvious however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Irish Wit and Wisdom.
    Jewish Business Ethics.
    Italian War Heroes.
    Muslim Pork Dishes.
    The Amish Phone Book.

Are you in Primary School? Worst. Jokes. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Mena wrote: »
    Too many people in the professional "I'm insulted" industry.

A bit like Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

And on that bombshell.......

....is where I'd love to be except I'm a sleazy old man and wouldn't have a hope

Irish Wit and Wisdom.
    Jewish Business Ethics.
    Italian War Heroes.
    Muslim Pork Dishes.
    The Amish Phone Book.

Johnny: "A Jap tourist walks into Pauline Hanson's fish and chip shop, and asks her `How do you cook your chips?', so Pauline tells him, `In fat you Asian'".

mistake - both are in intensive care. One has a dodgy tikka and the other one is in a korma.

5 times a week now.

Cheers can't wait to use some of those tonight:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

mike65 wrote: »
    I thought his impromptu John Merrick was quite good.

Ah the Stewart Lee defence! So lame after the nth posting!*

* I like Lee and Clarskon so I'm confused.

I'm not gone on Clarkson, but very true about the Stewart Lee thing. Always posted ad nauseum after some Clarkson clanger. His subvertion ruse is a little old anyway.

du Maurier wrote: »
    Always posted ad nauseum after some Clarkson clanger. His subvertion ruse is a little old anyway.

And his jokes take way too long.

got to be the best show of modern times on tv. With three brilliant presenters, it works so well since the three guys are genuinely good mates living a dream, driving dream cars and getting handsomely paid for it,,

and they make the bbc millions out of topgear

Irish Wit and Wisdom.
    Jewish Business Ethics.
    Italian War Heroes.
    Muslim Pork Dishes.
    The Amish Phone Book.

5 times a week now.

Cheers can't wait to use some of those tonight:D

Target audience: Bullseye!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

And his jokes take way too long.

And he sounds like he might slit his wrists at the first sight of a sharp object.

Bit of flip flopping there Darling, first you can't tell they're jokes and now there too obvious?? I just don't understand how people can get so upset about Clarkson, he's just lucky I suppose at being able to get reactions out of people over the slightest things. I always thought he had the press bought out to get these reactions but it seems people genuinely let him get under their skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He's a dick head in many many ways and I detest him but zi think getting offended about this latest 'joke' is a bit OTT.

Anyway here's the ugly prick not taking a joke well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Bloody PC bridgade! You can't say anything anymore these days!

Everytime Jezza makes a joke at the expense of people with disabilities, overworked nurses or fat, lazy mexicans on TV where they can't defend themselves he has to apologise!

People need to get a sense of humour!!!

I think it would be a nice conciliatory gesture if on Top Gear he test-drove one of the PC Brigade's PC engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

I think it would be a nice conciliatory gesture if on Top Gear he test-drove one of the PC Brigade's PC engines.

Left-hand drive of course.

Bit of flip flopping there Darling, first you can't tell they're jokes and now there too obvious?? I just don't understand how people can get so upset about Clarkson, he's just lucky I suppose at being able to get reactions out of people over the slightest things. I always thought he had the press bought out to get these reactions but it seems people genuinely let him get under their skin.
    It's because they only seem like a joke to a particular mindset. A bit like Roy Chubby Brown or whatever his name was appealed to people. If it's unfunny, I generally wouldn't categorise it as a joke. :D

All Jeremy is doing is showing us how ultra-sensitive and humourless lefties and the PC Brigade can be. And, of course, it is working.

He doesn't have to say much. Even the slightest thing he says causes some organisation or person to come out and say:" That's offensive to such and such a body...." even if it it hard to tell whether Jeremy's joke referred to that such and such a body that that the Pc Brigade thinks he is referring to.

Thankfully, MOST people do not get offended by Jeremy's jokes and think he is doing nothing wrong and that he is merely a presenter of a TV show which is partly comedy. If Jeremy was as bad as the PC loons would have us believe, then Top Gear wouldn't have 350 million viewers per week in 170 different countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement