Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarkson courting publicity or genuinely a twat?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Bloody PC bridgade! You can't say anything anymore these days!

Everytime Jezza makes a joke at the expense of people with disabilities, overworked nurses or fat, lazy mexicans on TV where they can't defend themselves he has to apologise!

People need to get a sense of humour!!!

And on ITV1 we have the Loose Women, who can spend an entire episode slagging off men yet are never forced to issue an apology afterwards.

In January 2011, two Sky Sports presenters, Andy Gray and Richard Keys, caused uproar and were forced to apologise after they made "sexist comments" about a female assistant referee.

The PC Brigade were absolutely up in arms, and there were articles and letters in national newspapers calling the men misogynists and accusing them of living in the 19th Century.

Yet, at the very same time, an episode of Loose Women was aired in which the horrible harridans started making sexist comments about male midwives, saying things like "how can they delivery a baby, they cant multitask." Yet not a peep was heard from the PC Brigade or anybody else regarding those comments, and they were not forced to apolgise over any "offence" they may have caused.

So it seems like the PC Brigade are only interested in not wanting to cause offence to certain groups - usually women, non-whites, non-Christians and homosexuals - but they aren't bothered if derogotary comments are made about men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

Batsy wrote: »
    If Jeremy was as bad as the PC loons would have us believe, then Top Gear wouldn't have 350 million viewers per week in 170 different countries.

Globally, 1.2 billion people smoke, depsite its inherent stupidity. Popularity doesn't indicate that something is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be honest, I really don't care how un-pc he is because it doesn't offend me personally. but it does annoy me because it's not funny. More than that though, what annoys me the most is how his reviews are predictable and he's an arrogant git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

he is a troll IRL,he uses contreversiality to gain popularity he always has done.
    james is the only one on the show who doesnt shout his mouth off about anything that coud get him in to trouble.
    they shoud watch what they are saying as the BBC may eventualy chuck them off, like they did with jonathon ross...but he was quite a twat in how he presented himself anyway.

its funny how the people that complained were not complaining about all the other offensive stuff they have used on topgear such as the mexican rant,it seems to be-only when it applies personaly and at all other times dont bother giving a damn,hypocritical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think, like most right wits in the public eye, he's desperate for attention. Or got a new book to promote.

Anyone who lives in the UK will notice that Clarkson's written output occupies a large section of the nation's charity shops and bargain bins :D

I enjoy watching TG, even if the format is tired, dull and un-inspired. That's the right wing in a nutshell, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

As far as I'm concerned, he's still working through all the good karma he's earned from punching Piers Moron in the face.

As far as I'm concerned, he's still working through all the good karma he's earned from punching Piers Morgon in the face.

One arse punches another. Ho hum. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Pfft* If anything, this latest gaff highlights the fact that the UK are in worse need of a quango cull then we are, because it seems that there is litterally no joke you can tell without the 'The Association of..', 'The counsel for..',or 'the union of..' writing in to complain about it.
    Who knew that there were so many well funded quango's out there (with a no doubt well paid 'director') to come on TV and demand an apology for whatever it is that they have gone out of their way to find offensive.

conorhal wrote: »
    Pfft* If anything, this latest gaff highlights the fact that the UK are in worse need of a quango cull then we are, because it seems that there is litterally no joke you can tell without the 'The Association of..', 'The counsel for..',or 'the union of..' writing in to complain about it.
    Who knew that there were so many well funded quango's out there (with a no doubt well paid 'director') to come on TV and demand an apology for whatever it is that they have gone out of their way to find offensive.

Can you link to aforementioned actual quangos, please?

I think it's time for Fintan :D

We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

In January 2011, two Sky Sports presenters, Andy Gray and Richard Keys, caused uproar and were forced to apologise after they made "sexist comments" about a female assistant referee.

Ah, but Andy Gray is an absolute bollocks and most people were glad to see him go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

As far as I'm concerned, he's still working through all the good karma he's earned from punching Piers Moron in the face.

I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them giving each other a good fisting.

Wait... that didn't come out the way I wanted..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

And on ITV1 we have the Loose Women, who can spend an entire episode slagging off men yet are never forced to issue an apology afterwards.

The PC Brigade were absolutely up in arms, and there were articles and letters in national newspapers calling the men misogynists and accusing them of living in the 19th Century.

Yet, at the very same time, an episode of Loose Women was aired in which the horrible harridans started making sexist comments about male midwives, saying things like "how can they delivery a baby, they cant multitask." Yet not a peep was heard from the PC Brigade or anybody else regarding those comments, and they were not forced to apolgise over any "offence" they may have caused.

So it seems like the PC Brigade are only interested in not wanting to cause offence to certain groups - usually women, non-whites, non-Christians and homosexuals - but they aren't bothered if derogotary comments are made about men.

In fairness, those two situations are pretty different.

The Loose Women's remarks were clearly meant as a joke (even if they're not funny) and weren't directed at a particular individual.

Keys and Gray called into question (and not in a light-hearted way) the ability of an individual based entirely on her gender, an individual working in a sport within which the two have a lot of influence.

old hippy wrote: »
    Can you link to aforementioned actual quangos, please?

I think it's time for Fintan :D

We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug.

Fintan? Talk about the pot calling the kettle smug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I wouldn't mind seeing the two of them giving each other a good fisting.

Wait... that didn't come out the way I wanted..

That's what he said.

As mentioned by a few above, it's perfectly possible to think that people are overreacting to Clarkson's comments and to also think he is an absolute utter twat.

I don't know why anybody pays attention to what he says at all tbh. I've long since stopped watching Top Gear and reading his car reviews in the Sunday Times (which were always about 80% slagging off continental Europeans and 20% about the actual car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In fairness, those two situations are pretty different.

The Loose Women's remarks were clearly meant as a joke (even if they're not funny) and weren't directed at a particular individual.

Keys and Gray called into question (and not in a light-hearted way) the ability of an individual based entirely on her gender, an individual working in a sport within which the two have a lot of influence.

So if the two football pundits were slagging off all women referees instead of a particular women referee it would be ok?

Fintan? Talk about the pot calling the kettle smug.

No quangos, though, eh?

Clarkson and their ilk just want to be able to target people without repercussion. It get's tiresome. As do his slavish followers with their shrieks of some kind of mythical PC brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

He's an awful bellend but people need to chill the fuck out and stop being so PC all the time.

He's an awful bellend but people need to chill the fuck out and stop being so PC all the time.

And people need to move on from the catch all, lazy umbrella term that is PC. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Is that the cat from Bad Boy Bubby in your avatar?

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    So if the two football pundits were slagging off all women referees instead of a particular women referee it would be ok?

It depends.

If the remarks were clearly intended as joke, it would be fine.

If, like their actual comments, they were serious, then no, it wouldn't be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And people need to move on from the catch all, lazy umbrella term that is PC. :rolleyes:

That's such a PC thing to say.

That was my own cat, Nips.
    She's missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No, that's his own cat.

R.I.P. Nips!

That was my own cat, Nips.
    She's missed.
    smash wrote: »
    No, that's his own cat.

R.I.P. Nips!

It didnt die from suffocation by any chance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeremy Clarkson, Michael O'Leary, Jonathan Ross etc are all of the same opinion, all publicity is good publicity.

Clarkson is making millions of pounds every year from Top Gear, Top Gear Live, other TV shows, newspaper columns, books etc. Being controversial is what he's all about. It gets his name in the media, gets people talking and benefits him in the long run.

The only way to get him out if the spotlight is to ignore him. But he's going to make sure that never happens. The BBC will never really punish him as he owns a large share of the rights to one of their most popular and widely syndicated shows. Its also very popular because if him.

Love him or hate him, he's good at what he does and making himself very wealthy in the process.

• Advertisement

Guaranteed that the number of complaints will at least double as people who didn't se the show but read the article ring in to complain that had they seen it they may have been offended.

People really are far too sensitive and there seems to be a group to looking out for the interests of everyone these days. That is every group bar the average white male. I'm always reminded of that loose women clip where they laugh about a story where a woman cut off her cheating husbands penise. It's 5 minutes of menopausal, cackling ***** making light of the story and talking about how the woman was right to do what she did. Was their a national out cry or stories in the paper about it? Now imagine if a group of men on a panel show laughed about a story where a man cut off his cheating wife's tit. There would be a national out cry with every news paper and women's group out for blood. Guaranteed that the men would lose their jobs and not work again for a longtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Well they deserved it. They claimed that a lineswoman was incapable of doing her job because she was a woman.

Keys and Gray were also caught in a number of 'while yer down there love' moments and Sky had to act. Rightly so.

Guaranteed that the number of complaints will at least double as people who didn't se the show but read the article ring in to complain that had they seen it they may have been offended.

People really are far too sensitive and there seems to be a group to looking out for the interests of everyone these days. That is every group bar the average white male. I'm always reminded of that loose women clip where they laugh about a story where a woman cut off her cheating husbands penise. It's 5 minutes of menopausal, cackling ***** making light of the story and talking about how the woman was right to do what she did. Was their a national out cry or stories in the paper about it? Now imagine if a group of men on a panel show laughed about a story where a man cut off his cheating wife's tit. There would be a national out cry with every news paper and women's group out for blood. Guaranteed that the men would lose their jobs and not work again for a longtime.

Ah yes, the oppressed average white male. A tragedy throughout the ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Every time I saw "Partridge" I assumed it was Alan Partridge.

Jeremy Clarkson ran over her in his GT40 :(

• Advertisement

No quangos, though, eh?

Clarkson and their ilk just want to be able to target people without repercussion. It get's tiresome. As do his slavish followers with their shrieks of some kind of mythical PC brigade.

Almost as tiresome as the self appointed arbiters of good taste. If you don’t like it Mary Whitehouse, you can change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It depends.

If the remarks were clearly intended as joke, it would be fine.

If, like their actual comments, they were serious, then no, it wouldn't be ok.

Really doesn't sound like they were kidding.

There's also the infamous "Did ya smash it?" video where Richard Keys is being inappropriate while the other three lads are either ignoring him or just trying to grin and bear it.

Jeremy Clarkson ran over her in his GT40 :(
    I always knew he was a bollocks. ;)

I always knew he was a bollocks. ;)

The cat or Jeremy? :(

Almost as tiresome as the self appointed arbiters of good taste. If you don’t like it Mary Whitehouse, you can change the channel.

If you read any previous posts, (post 106) you'll see that I said I enjoy watching it, despite the oh so predictable format. I just think JC is a bully and a facetious idiot.

Do you actually know who Mary Whitehouse was? A god botherer and would be censor. Not my cuppa at all. Let JC and his cohorts continue to send up the ignorant right wits that they are, by all means. But don't be surprised that people will react. Bullying isn't swept under the carpets anymore.

Now, are you going to link us to your imaginary quangos?

The cat or Jeremy? :(

Yes.

If you read any previous posts, (post 106) you'll see that I said I enjoy watching it, despite the oh so predictable format. I just think JC is a bully and a facetious idiot.

Do you actually know who Mary Whitehouse was? A god botherer and would be censor. Not my cuppa at all. Let JC and his cohorts continue to send up the ignorant right wits that they are, by all means. But don't be surprised that people will react. Bullying isn't swept under the carpets anymore.

Now, are you going to link us to your imaginary quangos?

I know exactly who Mary Whitehouse was, I was merely repeating the refrain most frequently thrown at her for her endless letter writing regards every offence that she so dutifully watched out for on every channel.

Whitehouse was just the flip side of the same coin as these serial complainers, I get the distinct feeling that there are a lot of people tuning in to Top Gear with their laptops on their knees and a Word doc open with the words “Dear OFCOM,…” at the top.

AS for your pedantic request for that list of quangos, use google, google anything you care to think of that offends you and see if you can find a quango to report it to, you know what, I bet you can.

I know exactly who Mary Whitehouse was, I was merely repeating the refrain most frequently thrown at her for her endless letter writing regards every offence that she so dutifully watched out for on every channel.

Whitehouse was just the flip side of the same coin as these serial complainers, I get the distinct feeling that there are a lot of people tuning in to Top Gear with their laptops on their knees and a Word doc open with the words “Dear OFCOM,…” at the top.

I'm sure there are those who tune in, a la Whitehouse, just to be offended. There are also those who are genuinely offended by Clarkson's runaway mouth.

Just as there are those who bang on about imaginary quangos... which you cannot link to.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

who cares if they are offended, that's why Britain is in the pits, america is going the same way. that's why china and the likes are steam rolling all over us, off topic I know...

once again Top Gear great show

who cares if they are offended, that's why Britain is in the pits, america is going the same way. that's why china and the likes are steam rolling all over us, off topic I know...

once again Top Gear great show

Could you elaborate on your rather cryptic post, caller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Could you elaborate on your rather cryptic post, caller?

its not cryptic, its business!

top gear is sold all over the world, makes millions for the bbc, if they are to take notice of those offended what are they going to do?

Fire Clarkson and change the show, having some leftest PC hippy with a clipboard ruining the show.

Result, a crap show which now does not make money and is cancelled. So instead of the bbc making money they spend it on importing some PC crap like friends or oprah

top gear is sold all over the world, makes millions for the bbc, if they are to take notice of those offended what are they going to do?

Fire Clarkson and change the show, having some leftest PC hippy with a clipboard ruining the show.

Result, a crap show which now does not make money and is cancelled. So instead of the bbc making money they spend it on importing some PC crap like friends or oprah

Why do you keep talking as if the world consists only of extremes of opposites?

Are the only two choices for Top Gear really Jeremy Clarkson and a "leftest PC hippy?" Is there no-one else in between?

Yes, yes, a bit of obfuscation going on here. Aside from the fact that the BBC does not show Ophra or Friends and that you don't have to have extremes to have a good show - what is your meaning with this:

"who cares if they are offended, that's why Britain is in the pits, america is going the same way. that's why china and the likes are steam rolling all over us"

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Oh for god's sake. It's just humour. When did everybody get so sensitive. Soon we won't be able to laugh about anything in case somebody takes offence and then the world will be a very boring place. Lighten up people. And before anyone jumps on me for being insensitive. I have glasses, wild curly hair and a big nose. Laugh at me all you want. I don't care:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Hopefully there'll be a Top Gear special someday soon where all these spineless, serially-offended, gob****es have been rounded up for Clarkson and Co. to slaughter in a modern reenactment of the chariot race in Ben-Hur.

The_Thing wrote: »
    Hopefully there'll be a Top Gear special someday soon where all these spineless, serially-offended, gob****es have been rounded up for Clarkson and Co. to slaughter in a modern reenactment of the chariot race in Ben-Hur.

As long as we get to gang bang your mom and dad before we get the chop, fair enough :D

Advertisement