Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gates

Options
  • 10-02-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a new house, the previous gates were removed. I would like to get a new set of gates, total width 12 feet. I would also like to have them automated. What kind of price should I be looking at? I priced with one fella in Letterkenny and he was quoting me €2200 for the automation alone, not including the gates themselves!

I was hoping to do the whole lot for half that, gates included.

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

DrPhilG wrote: »

I was hoping to do the whole lot for half that, gates included.

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

You are in the wrong forest mate never mind barking up the wrong tree if you think you will find someone to supply and fit both gate and automation for anywhere near €1100(Well not around here anyway). To buy the automation kit alone can cost anywhere between €600 to €800 and thats not including intercoms,keypads and cableing ETC.

€2200 sounds maybe a little bit high but not a million miles off for the automation assuming thats for an under ground system with intercom/keypad and all the bells and is a top brand like DITEC or CAME..
    Over ground systems can be done a bit cheaper as there is slightly less labour involved and the whole lot can be done in one day where as an underground system would need atleast two visits..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Gate Automation

2200 euro, ye it was great time, but it was price before recession, now you can find much much cheaper.

I just find on donedeal.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherhouse/2913058

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherhouse/2880103

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherhouse/2991671

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Most likely going to just get a gate for now and look at the automation again in a year's time when it's cheaper.

Hopefully can find a gate under €1000 first.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Hi, sorry don't want to hijack the thread but just a quick question.
    I've a new build (in Limerick) and I'd bought a DEA ghost 200 kit from my electrician with all the intercom/camera system etc etc during the build while I had the cash with the intention of building piers and installing electric gates down the line. So now I'm looking for someone to advise me on the cable runs but my electrician has emigrated. Could you recommend someone in Limerick do call and spec the cabling and quote doing the electrical installation of the gates, I also want to run some driveway lights and an electric fence from the same cabling which is why I'm looking for help on the spec.... The set-up is currently as follows, distance of 120m from garage to gate:

Black SWA 4 x 2.5 sq
    Grey 4 core (think this is poly poly)

I suppose my main question is would it be possible to connect this to the gate kit to run the gate, join via junction box at each light take off along the driveway to power lights to be switched separetly, and from the gate take a feed away to power an electric fence.... if this is difficult to follow I can through up a marked up drawing (if ye'd be willing to take a look)

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

Hi, sorry don't want to hijack the thread but just a quick question.
    I've a new build (in Limerick) and I'd bought a DEA ghost 200 kit from my electrician with all the intercom/camera system etc etc during the build while I had the cash with the intention of building piers and installing electric gates down the line. So now I'm looking for someone to advise me on the cable runs but my electrician has emigrated. Could you recommend someone in Limerick do call and spec the cabling and quote doing the electrical installation of the gates, I also want to run some driveway lights and an electric fence from the same cabling which is why I'm looking for help on the spec.... The set-up is currently as follows, distance of 120m from garage to gate:

Black SWA 4 x 2.5 sq
    Grey 4 core (think this is poly poly)

I suppose my main question is would it be possible to connect this to the gate kit to run the gate, join via junction box at each light take off along the driveway to power lights to be switched separetly, and from the gate take a feed away to power an electric fence.... if this is difficult to follow I can through up a marked up drawing (if ye'd be willing to take a look)

Thanks.

Two cables you mentioned will be terminated into an enclosure at the gates clint_eastman...

Ask the sparks automating the gates to allow for a couple of mcbs for the lights you want.. (within the enclosure) other for an socket..

You simply distribute your lighting cables from the enclosure for the gates, same applies for electric fence.

Switching is an issue however..

Where would you like your lights switched from??

A timeclock and photocell arrangement could be best option.. (within the same enclosure)

In short, distribute from enclosure at gate!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Evan O'Farrell 087-1354479 and Pat Moore 087-2118067 are two installers I know of in Limerick.

Couldn't figure out how to PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Click the username of the person you want to send a PM too, then click the second option. You can edit this post then bottom right hand side of the post to remove the details

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭eddie_

Hi does anyone know were you can do a course on electric gates.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 TheBadBadger

eddie_ wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know were you can do a course on electric gates . Thank anks

Eddie,
    It's a course on access control I'd recommend if you can't find a dedicated gate automation course.. Most gate kits these days are relatively easy to wir.. Its tthe method of entry, exit and interfacing these with the kit can be tricky.. But if there's a course which covers both, go for it..
    Maybe look into fas, fetac courses.. They used to do a course on paxton and comelit kits for access control..

Advertisement