Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Problems with UPC

Options
  • 10-02-2012 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Howdy all!

Major problems with UPC. I'll include my email sent to their customer services below:
    "Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been onto your customer service on numerous occasions in regards to one issue. The problem initially started prior to my first billing date. I rang to pay the bill via laser and enquired that if I paid over the phone my direct debit wouldn't be taken and this was confirmed. However this was not the case and my account was charged as well.

I contacted on the following Monday to see about getting my money back and was told that there was nothing that can be done at that stage but that I would be contacted the following day. I was not contacted. I rang again on Thursday and was informed that a cheque for the balance had been posted to me.

Today I had still not received my cheque and so I called once again. This time I was told that my cheque wouldn't arrive for two weeks. I asked to speak to a supervisor at which time I was informed that it would just "be a waste of time" and was only passed to a supervisor on the third time of asking. When speaking to the supervisor she again said that I could be waiting up to two weeks and that the cheque could be sent straight to the bank and not my address. I asked could she tell me where it was being sent to and she said no that it was up to me and ring my bank and see had it arrived and that there was nothing that could be done for me.

I find this level of service an absolute disgrace. I rang to pay by laser because I was worried the direct debit would fail. For my attempt to do the right thing in this situation I am being let down consistently and being provided no help and being fed false information. I can honestly say I would not recommend UPC to anyone after what I have experienced and am considering seeking advice as to what my legal rights are to get out of the contract for service and move to a different provider. I anticipate an email or phone call back in regards to this issue sooner rather than later as this has dragged on for far too long and already have missed out on paying my mobile phone bill due to money being withheld.

Should you require any more information please contact me at this email or at *********.

Best Regards,"

Today I then received this:

"Thank you for the below email,

I can confirm that a refund was issued on the 2nd February 2012 for the amount of €145.80.

I can confirm that per the bill that issued on the 14th January, it stated on the bill that UPC would approach your bank account on the 28th January. On the 28th January 2012 UPC received a call from you advising that you would be making payment, on this same date UPC received payment of €145.80.

I can confirm that per account details it was confirmed that you were advised that the refund would take two weeks to reach you. As the cheque was issued on the 2nd February, it should then be delivered to you on the 16th February.

For more helpful information, please visit the Customer Support section of our website.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Kathryn

UPC Customer Care"

What can I do? Can I cancel without having to pay the cancellation fees? I'm getting absolutely no help at all from UPC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm sorry but, what exactly are you trying to do? This seems totally of your own doing, and since the refund has been issued you'll just have to wait for it to arrive. If it doesn't arrive, then you have cause for complaint.

As to getting out of contract, you have no rights at all. Change of mind is not a grounds for cancelling a contract. Over paying your bill by your own choice is not a grounds for cancelling a contract.

I have no idea why you would try to pay the bill on the same day that the direct debit was going though. Surely you'd just wait till the following day to see if there was an issue, as you thought there might be. The representative that told you the direct debit would not go through was wrong to say this, or perhaps they didn't quite understand what you meant. Perhaps they were talking about the next direct debit, which would not now be presented if your account was in credit.

Direct debits need several days of notice to be set up or cancelled, you cannot stop it on the day it is collected on. A direct debit can be reversed by requesting it at your bank. You would have to have sufficient grounds to do this. It would also take time for the bank to investigate and process the refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭choobles

jor el wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, what exactly are you trying to do? This seems totally of your own doing, and since the refund has been issued you'll just have to wait for it to arrive. If it doesn't arrive, then you have cause for

I wanted to pay by laser as opposed to the direct debit as the direct debit account had other bills coming out and I didn't want either bill to not be paid and have to pay a direct debit fail charge. I was trying to make sure my bill was paid on time. I was assured that paying by laser would mean that my direct debit wouldn't go through therefore it is not of my own doing as I went on the advice of the staff

jor el wrote: »
    I'm sorry but, what exactly are you trying to do? This seems totally of your own doing, and since the refund has been issued you'll just have to wait for it to arrive. If it doesn't arrive, then you have cause for complaint.

As to getting out of contract, you have no rights at all. Change of mind is not a grounds for cancelling a contract. Over paying your bill by your own choice is not a grounds for cancelling a contract.

I have no idea why you would try to pay the bill on the same day that the direct debit was going though. Surely you'd just wait till the following day to see if there was an issue, as you thought there might be. The representative that told you the direct debit would not go through was wrong to say this, or perhaps they didn't quite understand what you meant. Perhaps they were talking about the next direct debit, which would not now be presented if your account was in credit.

Direct debits need several days of notice to be set up or cancelled, you cannot stop it on the day it is collected on. A direct debit can be reversed by requesting it at your bank. You would have to have sufficient grounds to do this. It would also take time for the bank to investigate and process the refund.

Also, the refund has also know grown up to 3 weeks lead time. The first week as they investigated and the another two weeks to send it to me despite having been told it was already sent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

choobles wrote: »
    Also, the refund has also know grown up to 3 weeks lead time. The first week as they investigated and the another two weeks to send it to me despite having been told it was already sent

3 weeks for a refund on your mistake? Thats not too bad.

Dodge wrote: »

3 weeks for a refund on your mistake? Thats not too bad.

How is it my mistake? Because I took the advice of the staff?

I asked for help and if you do not have anything helpful to add please don't bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

its your mistake because you signed up to pay by direct debit before realising you couldn't do so
    I asked for help and if you do not have anything helpful to add please don't bother

Here's what you asked
    What can I do? Can I cancel without having to pay the cancellation fees? I'm getting absolutely no help at all from UPC.

You can do nothing, as UPC have refunded your money.
    You can't cancel as they provided the service as described in your agreement
    It seems UPC were quite helpful

Anything else

Dodge wrote: »
    its your mistake because you signed up to pay by direct debit before realising you couldn't do so

Here's what you asked

You can do nothing, as UPC have refunded your money.
    You can't cancel as they provided the service as described in your agreement
    It seems UPC were quite helpful

Anything else

As I said I contacted to pay by laser so that as I thought the direct debit would fail, I was advised that this would then mean that wouldn't go through. I was misled, so you don't agree with that?

3 weeks for a refund. Misled twice and no apology. Great service.

I have received contact directly from UPC helping me.

Please close this thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement