Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spec a non-gaming 2500k incremental build for me plz

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €600 approx depending on value

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? VM/multi OS hackintosh/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet/test bed/toy

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Going to use some old HDDs with adapters for the moment

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    720p lcd tv at the moment, will be going to 1920x1080
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? need cheap wifi card and card reader

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Definitely. Please include decent cooler and paste etc in the build.

8. How can you pay? any way

9. When are you purchasing? today!

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? -

My plan was to get a top line overclocking motherboard with video on board and leave getting the graphics card for the moment.

Also wanted a decent case, something like the fractal R3.

Basically looking for case, 8 GB RAM, motherboard, processor, cooler&paste, powersupply, wifi card, card reader, 120 GB SSD possibly depending on price

Really just looking for suggestions for the motherboard with maximum functionality that'll overclock well, and the best combo of parts.

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

With those kinds of demands, you'd be looking at closer to €700. The R3 has gone up in price in recent months and SSDs of that size aren't cheap.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €680.59 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.49
    Scythe Mugen 3, für alle Sockel geeignet|€34.10
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€172.19
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€93.53
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.11
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€33.65
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.85
    ASUS PCE-N10|€19.35
    LogiLink USB 2.0 all-in-one Card Reader, für 3,5" Einbauchschacht|€6.32

If you wanted to, you could chop down the price by getting a cheaper quality SSD like the Corsair Force 3. It's not as good, despite what read/write speeds might say.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=47179

Asrock boards are good value although I read that Macs use gigabyte boards, so compatibility might be better. Manufacturers have the same Intel chipsets and fairly equivalent. I don't know much on the subject and here certainly isn't the place to ask.

The integrated graphics would be enough for most situations, although it depends on what you mean by "modelling".

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Thanks for the reply, the "3d modelling" I left in from the template and is bottom of the list of priorities for the moment.
    Less worried about whether the motherboard can be hackintoshed too, more interested in getting something as flexible, future proof and functional as possible, with bluetooth etc..
    I'll probably leave the SSD for the moment until I'm adding a video card, or get the 64GB M4.

That looks like a good build for me though without the SSD.
    Do I have to get paste or cables too?

Last PC I built was a Pentium 2 or something:cool:

e2a:That motherboard doesn't appear to have bluetooth from the specs herehttp://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3%20Gen3&cat=Specifications

not a dealbreaker, but don't mind spending a bit more on the MB

You'll get paste with that which is fine for one build.
    If you need more:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49231

The mugen is not the easiest to install, but it's a good heatsink if you're up to the challenge.

All the cables you need should come with the motherboard and PSU. You might need an additional lead from the PSU->Wall. It's the same kind you find in all PCs or kettles.

You'll get maybe two SATA cables for hard drives so if you have a lot of them, you'll need a few more.

Yep, I'll risk the challenge of the mugen.

Any suggestions for a better specced motherboard, with bluetooth if I want to spend a few extra quid?

Going to get one of these to use an IDE HDD from a USB enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a better specced motherboard, with bluetooth if I want to spend a few extra quid?

I have the Asus P8P67 motherboard which has bluetooth built-in.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=47588&agid=1601
    Very easy to over-clock too.

I'm using my PS3 remote control with my PC now and it works great. :)

I missed the part about the bluetooth, but adapters aren't too expensive anyway.
    The V3 one that Serephucus posted would be a little faster, but you can pick up a V2.1 one easily on HWV for cheap.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43734

Thanks for the replies folks.
    Ready to order today.

Could someone tell me the major differences between the MB monotype suggested with an external USB BT , and something like this, with bluetooth onboard.
    Do both MBs have similar functionality?
    Would I be better long-term to go for something like the Asus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The ASUS has two more SATA ports (8 vs. 6), an extra PCI-E slot (that you can't used for graphics because it's x4, so irrelevant), and a couple of extra USB ports. Given the price difference... I'd go for the ASRock.

If you wanted a higher class motherboard for a little more, the asrock Z68 Gen3 extreme3 is good. No bluetooth but I don't think that it should be a key factor in the decision of a board.
    If I was to go for another manufacturer, MSI would be an excellent choice. I wouldn't be in a hurry to go with Asus' boards this time around as they've had some problems unless you were to go with their extreme top end.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, went with monotype's build in the end with a 64GB Crucial SSD.

Advertisement